Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

SD Card Not Reading on Mac

RichL

Reaction score
I just got the EVO Lite+ and did some test photos with it. When putting the card into two Mac computers, it is not reading.

- On a MacBook Air running the Monterey OS I'm getting this message: The disk you attached was not readable by this computer.
- On a iMac running Big Sur OS it is not recognizing the card at all and not error message.

The card was connected to each computer with a different card reader. I also tried reformatting the card in the aircraft with the same results. Also, the images are visible in the Autel Sky app so I doubt it is a bad card.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

FYI folks. I contacted Autel and got a quick response that the EVO Lite+ is not compatible with a Mac computer. Not sure why that is when it is shooting DNG and JPG files. Plus the original EVO II was compatible with a Mac.

FYI folks. I contacted Autel and got a quick response that the EVO Lite+ is not compatible with a Mac computer. Not sure why that is when it is shooting DNG and JPG files. Plus the original EVO II was compatible with a Mac.

That seems like a very strange response if you ask me. Can you use a PC to find out what format the Lite is using? It should be exFAT which is readable by a Mac. If you have access to a PC you could try formatting the card in a PC then saving pictures to it with the Lite then trying again to read it on a Mac. You could also try formatting the card as exFAT in the Mac then testing it in the Lite without formatting it again.

I thought it was an odd response too. Unfortunately we're 100% Mac here, and I don't prefer to mess around with Autel's issues. When I asked to return the drone they issued an RMA immediately so It's going back to them. I'm also surprised that this issue hasn't popped up anywhere, especially since most photographers work with Mac's.

I thought it was an odd response too. Unfortunately we're 100% Mac here, and I don't prefer to mess around with Autel's issues. When I asked to return the drone they issued an RMA immediately so It's going back to them. I'm also surprised that this issue hasn't popped up anywhere, especially since most photographers work with Mac's.

I have an EVO Lite. I encountered the same issue with a 32GB card.

However, when I tried the 64GB card that I normally use in my EVO I, the Mac read it just fine (after formatting the card in the Lite and taking several photos).

The other card had also been formatted in the aircraft. I think the 32GB is a SanDisk Extreme and the 64GB is an Extreme Pro. (Incidentally, the same 32GB card when formatted and used with the EVO I also works fine in the Mac, so that drone doesn't have this issue.)

Other threads (mostly about the Nano+) suggest that the issue is related to the specific type of formatting (block size, etc.) that the aircraft is using. They also mention that Windows will indicate that the drive is damaged and offer to repair it, but the files are usually readable thereafter. So the issue doesn't just affect Macs.

So, to the OP: how large was the card that you tried? Autel should really fix this, but in the meantime, perhaps using a different size card is the solution. And I don't recommend formatting outside the drone, except as an experiment. With other equipment, this has been a recipe for lost images, and it's not exactly convenient when in the field.

Last edited:
if you already have the rma that's fine but i wouldn't return the drone until you get to the bottom of the issue. if you are a 100% mac user then you should realize that it's 2022 not 2012 and the traditional saying "it's not compatible with a mac" is no longer accurate. that being said, sometimes the mac is picky or fussy but it's not incompatible.

However, when I tried the 64GB card that I normally use in my EVO I, the Mac read it just fine (after formatting the card in the Lite and taking several photos).

The other card had also been formatted in the aircraft. I think the 32GB is a SanDisk Extreme and the 64GB is an Extreme Pro. (Incidentally, the same 32GB card when formatted and used with the EVO I also works fine in the Mac, so that drone doesn't have this issue.)

Other threads (mostly about the Nano+) suggest that the issue is related to the specific type of formatting (block size, etc.) that the aircraft is using. They also mention that Windows will indicate that the drive is damaged and offer to repair it, but the files are usually readable thereafter. So the issue doesn't just affect Macs.

So, to the OP: how large was the card that you tried? Autel should really fix this, but in the meantime, perhaps using a different size card is the solution. And I don't recommend formatting outside the drone, except as an experiment. With other equipment, this has been a recipe for lost images, and it's not exactly convenient when in the field.
Thanks for your suggestion. I have a 32GB card as well so I just ordered a 128GB. It was the only one I could get delivered by tomorrow morning. I will give this a shot and let you know what happens. I would hate to return this drone.

if you already have the rma that's fine but i wouldn't return the drone until you get to the bottom of the issue. if you are a 100% mac user then you should realize that it's 2022 not 2012 and the traditional saying "it's not compatible with a mac" is no longer accurate. that being said, sometimes the mac is picky or fussy but it's not incompatible.
I'm going to hold off on sending it back based on the suggestion above. I agree with you about the " it's not compatible with a mac" being an outdated saying. This whole thing seems very odd. Plus, it is suprising that there is nothing about this on the web which makes be think that there is a solution.

The thing with the Mac fussiness is that I tried it on two different Mac's and 2 different card readers with the same result. One running the Big Sur OS and the other running Monterey. The card is also good because my neighbor could read it with his PC. Add to that emailing tech support they definitively stated that it was not compatible and provided a RMA within minutes makes me think maybe there is some corner Autel cut in the development of the EVO Lite. The really funny thing is that I asked why the drone is not Mac compatible and she didn't know why.

Last edited:

Wow, thanks for this suggestion! I bought a 128GB card and it worked!! Have you found that using the larger card works all the time?

I'm going to contact Autel and ask to talk to an engineer or someone who knows something. Me keeping the drone instead of them refunding my money just may inspire Autel to give us some answers.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for this suggestion! I bought a 128GB card and it worked!! Have you found that using the larger card works all the time?

I'm going to contact Autel and ask to talk to an engineer or someone who knows something. Me keeping the drone instead of them refunding my money just may inspire Autel to give us some answers.
glad it worked out for you, rich. however, my advice is leave autel alone about this one; it will go nowhere. this has been a semi-problem with all drones, all computers, and all micro-sd cards to some extended for a long long time with regard to video files. truth be told, autel doesnt know anymore about this than anyone else. no one should be using less than 128gb card anyway so now that you are up and running, enjoy the drone that you are keeping ! :)

glad it worked out for you, rich. however, my advice is leave autel alone about this one; it will go nowhere. this has been a semi-problem with all drones, all computers, and all micro-sd cards to some extended for a long long time with regard to video files. truth be told, autel doesnt know anymore about this than anyone else. no one should be using less than 128gb card anyway so now that you are up and running, enjoy the drone that you are keeping ! :)
I have started a conversation with their engineering team through the Customer service rep and I have to agree that they don't seem to understand what I'm telling them. So far you are the guy who solved the issue. I shoot mostly stills so 32GB is usually enough, but now I know better. Thanks again for your help.

I have started a conversation with their engineering team through the Customer service rep and I have to agree that they don't seem to understand what I'm telling them. So far you are the guy who solved the issue. I shoot mostly stills so 32GB is usually enough, but now I know better. Thanks again for your help.
i would say that, i think everyone is here on the forum to help and it's much better to turn to the forum for help initially especially if it's not an issue that autel has to deal with directly and only.

Reactions: RichL
i would say that, i think everyone is here on the forum to help and it's much better to turn to the forum for help initially especially if it's not an issue that autel has to deal with directly and only.
I would agree with you at this point. I've been a member of this forum for a few years but have not really been involved. Seeing the expertise that is freely shared is impressive, especially since talking to Autel had been a bit frustrating. Karen in Customer Service went from stating that EVO Lite drones are not compatible with a Mac to reversing that and saying she was mistaken. The questions from engineering made me think they didn't fully understand the problem or the issues I was having, but that's not worth expounding upon. Problem solved here not there. It's good to be a part of this group.

I had/have this issue with a Nano Plus. If I format the card in the drone, the 128gb micro SD card will not read on a mac giving the message....

"The disk you attached was not readable by this computer"

However, I thankfully have Windows 11 on a Parallels partition and opened the images from that and put it onto the mac desktop.
I then formatted the card using disk utility in OSX on the mac, to Ex Fat. and it was then readable to the Mac and PC.

I did the above a week ago and no issues recording to the card. Stupidly I formatted the SD card in the Nano again and whilst it recorded footage onto the card, I popped it into my mac and got the error message again.

I assume this is a firmware issue.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy