Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

SD card "corruption" with Nano+

At some point, even Card from Evo 2 Pro gives errors when the card is inserted in Windows 11.
But is not an issue, as does not find errors.
Format in WINDOWS as FAT32, will work.
Apple users: There was some strange behavior on MAC for Fat32, seems that some are not full recognized. Also cards formatted in Mac was not seen in drone...this is because some uses a different allocation table that is seen as corrupted on other device.
Just update the drone then format it inside drone. Will work.

When you say "just update the drone" what do you mean? It's running the latest firmware.

Apologies if this has already been covered - I searched and can't find anything other than mention of that more common SD card problem.

First flight of a new Nano+ yesterday, and I updated to the latest firmware beforehand. After the test flight I went to transfer files from the SD card (using a card reader connected to a Mac) and the OS tells me the card is not readable. Putting the card back in the drone I can browse the images and download via the IOS app to my phone, so obviously the data isn't corrupt. I suspect some sort of file system shenanigans, but it's odd.

The card was formatted in the drone itself. I tested with another SD card and am getting the exact same problem. Both cards are authentic Sandisk UHS-3 cards, and are working in other devices as usual.

Any ideas folks?
I have had the same problem and have reported it to the marketing person I deal with. I've discovered that if you format the SD card in the drone, my MacBook Air refuses to see it even though the footage is findable via the phone app. HOWEVER, if you erase the SD card in Mac utilities as MS DOS FAT and put it in the drone everything works and the Mac can read the files. So, format in your Mac and NOT the Nano.

I have had the same problem and have reported it to the marketing person I deal with. I've discovered that if you format the SD card in the drone, my MacBook Air refuses to see it even though the footage is findable via the phone app. HOWEVER, if you erase the SD card in Mac utilities as MS DOS FAT and put it in the drone everything works and the Mac can read the files. So, format in your Mac and NOT the Nano.
FAT files are limited, most cases is used FAT 32...BUT...you need to also check if you have proper cluster allocation on it.
Normally, FAT (or FAT 16) have a 64kb cluster on format. Also this is applied to FAT32.
I would try to see if there is differences in CLUSTER allocation table, try to manually set it to 64Kb and check in drone and in MAC.

Thanks for that. It's obviously not a viable solution going forward in terms of practicality (when you're out in the field, not near a computer) but hopefully they fix it soon.

Error messages under Windows with no repairs following usually are caused by an SD card removed "too early", prior to sending a command that writing to that card was finally stopped. This dates back to the days of memory cards being real sluggish, the OS creating a RAM cache to virtually speed up writing to the card. Meaning: User was able to continue doing other things, without waiting for the write process to end, while the OS was still busy writing data to the card in the background. If you removed the card while still data was written from the cache (because the OS said writing was finished), the data would get corrupted. That's why the card got "closed" after writing really was finished. If that "card closure" didn't happen, Windows would flag the card as corrupt and suggest a repair.
This also sometimes happens if all writing to the card indeed was finished prior to removing it.
So that's nothing to write home about.

Regarding the issues with the fouling fruit machines: Apple has always been known for restricting their users to their own ecosystem, for punishing them if they dared to have an affair with other machines (see the biblical First Commandment), and doing just everything to prevent that.
Example: I bought an excellent Bluetooth headset for my Android phone, a friend of mine found it's audio quality amazing, bought the same for her iPhone, proudly called me. She sounded like from the bottom of a garbage can. She came over to have the headset checked - worked perfectly with Android, we tried several brands. Returning to Apple smartphones, the sound quality immediately degraded again.
That's because that iPhone noticed the headset wasn't made by Godfather Apple, thus it restricted the audio bitrate significantly - to punish the user for not buying Apple hardware. No joke. That's just things the show-off community doesn't talk about.
I don't know who's the SD corruption culprit - but I have an idea. ;)

willyates: Did you try Ioaniro's suggestion, formatting the card with your Scotsman, then inserting it into it's enemy?
Ah, I see Rumpleproofskin (reminds me of Anton Hand) also suggested that - forum did not update the thread's contents after login, just did that after I wrote all the above.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has already been covered - I searched and can't find anything other than mention of that more common SD card problem.

First flight of a new Nano+ yesterday, and I updated to the latest firmware beforehand. After the test flight I went to transfer files from the SD card (using a card reader connected to a Mac) and the OS tells me the card is not readable. Putting the card back in the drone I can browse the images and download via the IOS app to my phone, so obviously the data isn't corrupt. I suspect some sort of file system shenanigans, but it's odd.

The card was formatted in the drone itself. I tested with another SD card and am getting the exact same problem. Both cards are authentic Sandisk UHS-3 cards, and are working in other devices as usual.

Any ideas folks?
I'm having the same or very similar issue (tried it with 4 cards so far of different brands and capacity and classes, but with the same negative experience).

Having macOS Monterey, latest firmware on the drone (Nano+ v1.4.9, App Version v1.4.26), using Pixel phone.
Anyway, formatting the SD card using MacBookPro, respectively a LandingZone docking station, as FAT or exFAT seems to result into void recording when inserted into a drone. So after finishing a flight, there are only blank images visible through the App.
When formatting the card using a drone&app then it records on it and it is visible via the app, but once removed from drone, inserted into a Mac (docking station) it reports that the disk was not readable and this is what I can see in DiskUtils:
1662704052104.png

However returning the card back into the drone, the drone&app report it blank and no more recordings/shots are stored on the card until it's formatted again by drone itself :-(
Reading the posts here about to try it on Windows.... well, I don't have a Window computer easily available too, but can access it, so will try, but for this troubleshooting... it is not as easy.

OTOH, in my case it may be even the issue of the card reader built in the docking station, as my MacBook Pro doesn't have anything else than USB-C connectors:-/

I would just like to interject here that using a FAT filesystem in the Nano+ is inadvisable.

A single FAT32 file can have a maximum file size of 4GB.

Full-resolution video of the nano+ is recorded at approx 100kbit/s, or 12.5MB/s. This allows at most 5.3 minutes record time.

The exFAT filesystem by contrast has no practical filesize limit (128 pebibytes) and should be used in the Nano+ if you want to record more than a few minutes nonstop. It is the filesystem that the Nano+ formats natively.

In my tests the Nano+ could not mount other filesystems such as ext4 or btrfs, which is regrettable since any 'standard' emitted from Redmond ought to be rejected on account of past malfeasance.

A simple websearch reveals many Mac users suffering problems with exFAT volumes. As a linux user I cannot advise on how to solve them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DelphyM
I would just like to interject here that using a FAT filesystem in the Nano+ is inadvisable.

A single FAT32 file can have a maximum file size of 4GB.

Full-resolution video of the nano+ is recorded at approx 100kbit/s, or 12.5MB/s. This allows at most 5.3 minutes record time.

The exFAT filesystem by contrast has no practical filesize limit (128 pebibytes) and should be used in the Nano+ if you want to record more than a few minutes nonstop. It is the filesystem that the Nano+ formats natively.

In my tests the Nano+ could not mount other filesystems such as ext4 or btrfs, which is regrettable since any 'standard' emitted from Redmond ought to be rejected on account of past malfeasance.

A simple websearch reveals many Mac users suffering problems with exFAT volumes. As a linux user I cannot advise on how to solve them.
Yeah, I was wondering the same... with the capability of Nano+ to record in 4K, that FAT would not be suitable to this, unless recording will be split into files of max 4GB. Perhaps it is somewhere in the settings.

Anyway, good to know that exFAT is the way to go and will have to deal with it on Mac somehow :-/

On my EVO Lite, I found that my 32GB SanDisk Extreme gave the "not readable" error, while my 64GB Extreme Pro seems to work just fine. (Both cards are OK with my EVO I). An EVO Lite+ user reports in another thread that his 32GB card also didn't work, while a 128GB card did. So, it may well be worth trying different sizes of cards, although from Post #28 above, it appears that at least one 64GB card doesn't work (when used with the Nano+, anyway). It seems that the card I have should also work with the Nano+ (and a Mac), since it's of the same vintage as the Lite, but I can't assume that. I do think it would be well worth trying, though.

I am an IT admin and I would like to finally clarify the problem and help people who have problems with corrupt SD cards. First of all, it is important to know that in addition to the file system, something else is important. The partition table. Every operating system does what it wants here and regardless of the classic format, you have to change it manually. In this specific case, the Autel reads SD cards in GPT format without errors, but only rarely in the old MBR format.

So you have to switch to GPT and exFat (128k block)

Because it works

BG
Christoph

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ranga