Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Really tough day

jhemmer01

Reaction score
Bought a used Evo and got it 5 days ago. I’ve been having a blast learning how to use it and today I went to local park to find some space to fly it. I began trying the tracking feature and had it following me through the woods on a trail. Along comes an old lady and her dog and she stood to ask me questions about the drone. It didn’t expect the conversation to last more than a minute, so I left the drone hovering just behind me. I tried ending the conversation several times, but she kept talking about her dog and his health, etc. I didn’t want to be rude, so I remained patient and answered her many questions. Then my low battery alert goes off and I turn... and my drone is returning to home. Up it goes into the canopy of trees and it quickly hits a branch about 50’ up. The lady runs away and down comes my drone SMASH onto the metal railing of a small bridge (over a rocky stream) broke into a few pieces and landed in the water. Standing about 30’ away, the lady says, “Is it ok? Sorry, I just get to talking sometimes and I can’t stop.” I just smiled and said, “It’s fine. No problem.”
I was being so careful with this thing. I was so focused on being cautious with it, making sure to have plenty of room.
There’s now a good sized dent to the bottom of the drone and one of the ultrasonic sensors is toast. It cracked the battery and my camera broke off and landed in the stream.
I called Autel to request a repair and they’re supposed to send me an email questionnaire to complete before I send it in. Sadly, they’re quite busy now and I likely won’t get it back until mid-August.
This day went from being totally sweet to complete crap in about 10 lousy minutes.

Now that really sucks. I don't know if I could have said that the drone would be fine. I would have likely answered "not likely".

Reactions: jhemmer01
I feel your pain, and you sound like a really nice guy, but there are 2 lessons to learn here. If the distraction goes on too long, you have to tell them you MUST land the drone. Also RTH is not always your friend. If you ever fly in a forest under trees and you lose connection, or in your case a low battery warning, it will shoot up to the preset RTH altitude. I always think about that when I fly under trees, a bridge, etc. I hope you get it fixed!

I feel your pain, and you sound like a really nice guy, but there are 2 lessons to learn here. If the distraction goes on too long, you have to tell them you MUST land the drone. Also RTH is not always your friend. If you ever fly in a forest under trees and you lose connection, or in your case a low battery warning, it will shoot up to the preset RTH altitude. I always think about that when I fly under trees, a bridge, etc. I hope you get it fixed!

Agreed. Today has certainly taught me a few valuable (albeit costly) lessons going forward.
I’ll definitely get it fixed, I just may have to live on ramen noodles for a bit to afford it though. I seem to gravitate towards expensive hobbies for some reason. Lol

Oh man.... I’ve done that... So sorry. It’s really hard to be rude to nice people. The last thing you want is for them to think you’re an A-hole.
I couldn’t get rid of a nice couple watching me fly over the crashing waves atop a cliff in Hawaii. I took my eye off it one too many times, barely clipped a tiny branch on the ONE tree on a point sticking way-out a point along the coast. We watched it drop into 20’ crashing waves. They walked away quietly. I paid the ultimate price, NEVER talk to anyone while flying. Parents told me to never talk to strangers, I shoulda listened...

Reactions: Drgnfli
Oh man.... I’ve done that... So sorry. It’s really hard to be rude to nice people. The last thing you want is for them to think you’re an A-hole.
I couldn’t get rid of a nice couple watching me fly over the crashing waves atop a cliff in Hawaii. I took my eye off it one too many times, barely clipped a tiny branch on the ONE tree on a point sticking way-out a point along the coast. We watched it drop into 20’ crashing waves. They walked away quietly. I paid the ultimate price, NEVER talk to anyone while flying. Parents told me to never talk to strangers, I shoulda listened...

Ouch. That sucks. You definitely know how I’m feeling today. I appreciate you sharing that. [emoji3522]

A strategy I have implemented lately while flying is not use a mask when performing a flight. This way, people tend to stay away from me and not interrupt me. Sorry for your loss. I lost a brand new drone a few years back on her second voyage. I know how it feels. ☹

Reactions: butch
A strategy I have implemented lately while flying is not use a mask when performing a flight. This way, people tend to stay away from me and not interrupt me. Sorry for your loss. I lost a brand new drone a few years back on her second voyage. I know how it feels. [emoji852]

Lol. That’s a very unique, but apparently effective, strategy. I appreciate the tip.

It’s cool that people are interested and want to talk to us about it, but they lack the awareness that it takes focus to fly a drone. Before owning one, I wouldn’t have given it a second thought either. I guess this is all just part of the experience for drone owners.

Man im really sorry for your loss. Thats terrible. I hope you can figure something out. When i am out and about and especially in the woods (hunting season) i wear a yellow construction vest I picked up for 4 bucks. Has the reflective strips on it as well. Don't want to get shot in the woods but also makes youblook more professional and like your "supposed" to be there. Also I know ots a little late now. But always consider your rth height and where you'll be working and for how long. Working under trees it should be turned off.

Also the sensors may not detect moss hanging from tree branches like we have here in the southern USA. That was my expensive lesson. Autel put a new camera on it (EVO I) and it's been good ever since.

Reactions: jhemmer01 and PX1P
A strategy I have implemented lately while flying is not use a mask when performing a flight. This way, people tend to stay away from me and not interrupt me. Sorry for your loss. I lost a brand new drone a few years back on her second voyage. I know how it feels. ☹
And cough a lot!!

Reactions: jhemmer01 and PX1P
Also the sensors may not detect moss hanging from tree branches like we have here in the southern USA. That was my expensive lesson. Autel put a new camera on it (EVO I) and it's been good ever since.
Yes. The sensors on the Evo can be finicky.. even a glare or reflection can cause the bird to stop or change mid flight.. its why i never ever fly with obstacle avoidance on. I leave the sensors on. But take away the chance of the drone changing course on its own.

Last edited:
Bought a used Evo and got it 5 days ago. I’ve been having a blast learning how to use it and today I went to local park to find some space to fly it. I began trying the tracking feature and had it following me through the woods on a trail. Along comes an old lady and her dog and she stood to ask me questions about the drone. It didn’t expect the conversation to last more than a minute, so I left the drone hovering just behind me. I tried ending the conversation several times, but she kept talking about her dog and his health, etc. I didn’t want to be rude, so I remained patient and answered her many questions. Then my low battery alert goes off and I turn... and my drone is returning to home. Up it goes into the canopy of trees and it quickly hits a branch about 50’ up. The lady runs away and down comes my drone SMASH onto the metal railing of a small bridge (over a rocky stream) broke into a few pieces and landed in the water. Standing about 30’ away, the lady says, “Is it ok? Sorry, I just get to talking sometimes and I can’t stop.” I just smiled and said, “It’s fine. No problem.”
I was being so careful with this thing. I was so focused on being cautious with it, making sure to have plenty of room.
There’s now a good sized dent to the bottom of the drone and one of the ultrasonic sensors is toast. It cracked the battery and my camera broke off and landed in the stream.
I called Autel to request a repair and they’re supposed to send me an email questionnaire to complete before I send it in. Sadly, they’re quite busy now and I likely won’t get it back until mid-August.
This day went from being totally sweet to complete crap in about 10 lousy minutes.
How's the lady with a black eye? :)

Yes. The sensors on the Evo can he finicky.. even a glare or reflection can cause the bird to stop or change mid flight.. its why i never ever fly with obstacle avoidance on. I leave the sensors on. But take away the chance of the drone changing course on its own.
How can you have OA turned off but have sensors on, aren't they one and the same? Where on the menu is it?

Reactions: Drgnfli
Very sorry for your loss. I have lost a fairly inexpensive drone on 3rd or 4th flight.($230.00) It plunged into the ocean . I couldn't override RTH after the battery went low and start going back home instead of coming to me. Yep I know the feeling.

Very sorry for your loss. I have lost a fairly inexpensive drone on 3rd or 4th flight.($230.00) It plunged into the ocean . I couldn't override RTH after the battery went low and start going back home instead of coming to me. Yep I know the feeling.

Thanks. I guess it’s all part of the learning process. Next time, I’ll certainly know better.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacqueslambert