Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Radiometric Data?? Use of FLIR Tools Software??

Hawaii Drone Imaging

Reaction score
Website
www.hawaiidroneimaging.com
I haven't been able to find a solid answer on this subject. Will the Boson be able to record radiometric data for use in software like FLIR Tools? For SAR not really a necessity, but for attempting inspections and being able to give informed deliverables to a customer, I would think this would be incorporated.

And if you are in Canada which I believe you to be make sure it is exportable to Canada, I think we can only get 7.5 Hz, Just be sure you're aware and check which one is the best fit for you.

For what its worth I have been asking as much as possible to different parties on whether the Boson core will ever offer an advanced radiometric version. Answers I got:

From FLIR sUAS Thermogrpahy 1 class - Yes.
From FLIR.com Support - No response. Rude!
From surfing the web - Boson Radiometric Future Release Feature

I don't know what to think anymore, so the only thing I can do is sit back and wait.

For what its worth I have been asking as much as possible to different parties on whether the Boson core will ever offer an advanced radiometric version. Answers I got:

From FLIR sUAS Thermogrpahy 1 class - Yes.
From FLIR.com Support - No response. Rude!
From surfing the web - Boson Radiometric Future Release Feature

I don't know what to think anymore, so the only thing I can do is sit back and wait.

We may have been in the sUAS class together, if you were there this last week.

Many of us would like to decouple from DJI. If the Evo 2 will have RJPEG files (the Boson 640's sensor is capable), it would be a solution to all of us. The Evo 2 has been on our radar for a while and I have been in contact with them for a month or so. Based on what I've been told and what I have seen, I don't believe the Evo 2 Dual will have the RJPEG files necessary for tuning in Flir Tools. Never say never, but I think the probability is very low. I am now expanding my search for other options.

Autel did say the engineers were looking into a radiometric version but had no idea if or when it could happen. Just that it was something they have considered. So it might happen in the future. I don't know if Autel is just early in their evolution, or if DJI is applying some kind of pressure along the supply chain to corner this market, but at this point DJI seems to own Flir Tools users. We would even pay more to avoid DJI. But at this time, if you need to process in Flir Tools, I don't think the Evo 2 is an option. I am going to keep searching but worry DJI is it. If Autel is ever able to pull off a Flir Tools-capable UAV, it could change the game.

We may have been in the sUAS class together, if you were there this last week.

Many of us would like to decouple from DJI. If the Evo 2 will have RJPEG files (the Boson 640's sensor is capable), it would be a solution to all of us. The Evo 2 has been on our radar for a while and I have been in contact with them for a month or so. Based on what I've been told and what I have seen, I don't believe the Evo 2 Dual will have the RJPEG files necessary for tuning in Flir Tools. Never say never, but I think the probability is very low. I am now expanding my search for other options.

Autel did say the engineers were looking into a radiometric version but had no idea if or when it could happen. Just that it was something they have considered. So it might happen in the future. I don't know if Autel is just early in their evolution, or if DJI is applying some kind of pressure along the supply chain to corner this market, but at this point DJI seems to own Flir Tools users. We would even pay more to avoid DJI. But at this time, if you need to process in Flir Tools, I don't think the Evo 2 is an option. I am going to keep searching but worry DJI is it. If Autel is ever able to pull off a Flir Tools-capable UAV, it could change the game.

Sorry, I took the class in October '19.

Its certain that the Evo 2 Dual will be non-advanced radiometric upon release, but we can hope that when/if the Boson core finally releases an advanced radiometric version that they incorporate it into the lineup kind of like the Zenmuse XT went from Performance to Radiometric. While I want to very much get the Evo 2 Dual for my side job, I think I'll take a wait and see approach, but for my main job we will be purchasing the Evo 2 Dual immediately when it goes on sale and I am pretty excited to get it into service seeing how much I like out current Evo in most aspects.

We too at work are under extreme pressure regarding our DJI drones. They are currently not allowed to connect to the main network for the city. Autel was not grouped together at this time, but I could see them being added since they are in reality a Chinese company.

Sorry, I took the class in October '19.

Its certain that the Evo 2 Dual will be non-advanced radiometric upon release, but we can hope that when/if the Boson core finally releases an advanced radiometric version that they incorporate it into the lineup kind of like the Zenmuse XT went from Performance to Radiometric. While I want to very much get the Evo 2 Dual for my side job, I think I'll take a wait and see approach, but for my main job we will be purchasing the Evo 2 Dual immediately when it goes on sale and I am pretty excited to get it into service seeing how much I like out current Evo in most aspects.

We too at work are under extreme pressure regarding our DJI drones. They are currently not allowed to connect to the main network for the city. Autel was not grouped together at this time, but I could see them being added since they are in reality a Chinese company.

That is a good point about Autel potentially being grouped with DJI, as there are basically a Chinese company. I think it is all overblown but at least understand the concerns. It sounds like you might have some info on the Evo 2 thermal camera that I don’t have. Can you explain what you mean by the camera upon release will be non-advanced radiometric? When I asked about it, it sounded like it wouldn’t have RJPEG files and wouldn’t be able to be tuned in Flir Tools. If the Evo 2 will still work for us, I would much rather buy that.

No I don't have any info other than guessing. Some people call the XT radiometric and the XT R Advanced radiometric. Regardless, the Evo 2 will not have the RJEPG Flir Tools compatibility. For most thermal uses it will be great, but me personally, if I am shelling out big bucks, I'd rather get the most out of something. I really like/need the ability to work in post with Flir Tools.

I really don't know what to think about the Boson not being radiometric. My phone has a Lepton 3.5 and it is radiometric and I use Flir Tools for post all the time with it at work. You would think that the Boson with its superior resolution is just begging to have a radiometric version.

The Evo 2 Dual already is going to be our goto SAR platform when we get it at my main job and at that it looks like it is really going to be huge with 640 resolution and the longer flight time.

No I don't have any info other than guessing. Some people call the XT radiometric and the XT R Advanced radiometric. Regardless, the Evo 2 will not have the RJEPG Flir Tools compatibility. For most thermal uses it will be great, but me personally, if I am shelling out big bucks, I'd rather get the most out of something. I really like/need the ability to work in post with Flir Tools.

I really don't know what to think about the Boson not being radiometric. My phone has a Lepton 3.5 and it is radiometric and I use Flir Tools for post all the time with it at work. You would think that the Boson with its superior resolution is just begging to have a radiometric version.

The Evo 2 Dual already is going to be our goto SAR platform when we get it at my main job and at that it looks like it is really going to be huge with 640 resolution and the longer flight time.

The Evo 2 Dual will be a great SAR platform. I’m with you on needing to work in Flir Tools. There is a UAV that is made in America called the US-1 and it supposedly has a 2 hour flight time with a Flir Dual Pro R option. I think we can get a US-1 and an Evo 2 Dual for the price of one DJI M210/XT2. So I might do that and then if Autel ever gets the swap-able radiometric camera, we will be set.

I am super excited about this Evo 2 Dual. As it is right now my day job will be purchasing one immediately so I can play with it. I have searched FLIR's website and I cannot find any current product that uses a Boson radiometric so it seems like there is not one available. So my pure guess is if one becomes available Autel would make a Evo 2 Dual R. When they do that they will have smacked DJI in the mouth with a solid 640 Thermal Radiometric platform. I have zero brand loyalty, I just buy what fits my needs period. (But I do like underdogs.)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bailey54