Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Prop Balancing

OK! I’ll see your tape, AND your sanding with my clear nail polish! Besides, when you remove some of the polish with acetone, you can get some very interesting new aerodynamic shapes going for you!

Of course, you did recognize a bit of the old fun meter in this, didn’t you? I do use nail polish! I have not practiced the “blade reshaping” part! Somehow, my aeronautics background cringes at that thought, too. Might be fun to try on a dying bird like punkin’ chunking’ only different! 8>D

Ok, I dont post but do read everything on here and i have to weigh in here.

I have been flying planes, nitro and then electrics and then helis since 1991.
I have always sanded my props, has to be around 70-80 props to date and never had a prop issue.
I have tried tape and it does eventually come off. That small raised ridge along the length of tape does start to rub overtime on your hand, the case or bag or just from heat or moisture and it becomes a bigger ridge that has to soon or later be removed.

And yes i have used paint on the apc nitro props in order to see the tips better, especially on the older carbs where you had to reach in near the spinning prop to adjust fuel flow...lol

The minuscule amount that has to be removed from sanding has no effect on the prop life or integrity.

Last edited:
Reactions: LuvMyTJ
Ok, I dont post but do read everything on here and i have to weigh in here.

I have been flying planes, nitro and then electrics and then helis since 1991.
I have always sanded my props, has to be around 70-80 props to date and never had a prop issue.
I have tried tape and it does eventually come off. That small raised ridge along the length of tape does start to rub overtime on your hand, the case or bag or just from heat or moisture and it becomes a bigger ridge that has to soon or later be removed.

And yes i have used paint on the apc nitro props in order to see the tips better, especially on the older carbs where you had to reach in near the spinning prop to adjust fuel flow...lol

The minuscule amount that has to be removed from sanding has no effect on the prop life or integrity.
Please post again. Your experience has value.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
I also would like to know if the prop shaft is 6mm, which is the size that comes with the Dubro balancer !

I'm new to this but here goes...
I just got my dubro balancer and checked the balance of a set of Master Airscrew props I bought for my punkin. The blades were balanced well but all 4 hubs were out. A couple just needed a little sanding on the heavy side of the hub but the other two needed more than just a little sanding so I added a little thin CA glue to the light side and that did the trick. It is as smooth now as the OEM props!

You will never sand enough off to affect them... years & years of doing this have never failed me. Try it sometime and you will see it is a micro amount to bring them into balance if at all. Tape can come off over time, sanding is good forever.

Like you said, Autel props are very good. I have never found an OEM Autel prop that needed balancing. Tape or sand, balancing props has its benefits. ;)
I agree that's Exactly what I did years ago, works Perfectly.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials