Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Pre-purchase question

moodman

Reaction score
The major reason I am considering the Evo is because of the non-restrictive NFZ they say it has. HOWEVER! As most of us know, what is a feature now often turns into a trap.
So I am wondering if technically, Autel could, at some future time, add restrictions like DJI has for their NFZ. What I am asking specifically is if, for example, I downloaded the current update, but when a potentially restrictive update comes out, would I be able to ignore the update and keep on flying with the update I have now. In other words, would I be forced to update by Autel even if I didn't want it?

I have always found updates to be your choice. Now if Autel ever brings on NFZ's it would be because it is required by law. So by not taking the update you would be flying illegally in the eyes of the law. Guess it comes down to how deep your pockets are if you get caught.

Reactions: Normex
I can't imagine a law that assumes you are guilty before you actually commit a crime. Having a drone that is CAPABLE of doing something illegal is not the same as actually doing something illegal with it. It's like having a gun. Guns aren't illegal, but if you commit a crime with a gun, then you are guilty. Same with a drone. If I intrude in a NFZ, its on me. But don't restrict me BEFORE I do something wrong, assuming I might. That's a nanny state, and it is why people are voting with their pocketbooks against DJI.

I hope Autel is listening!

I can't imagine a law that assumes you are guilty before you actually commit a crime. Having a drone that is CAPABLE of doing something illegal is not the same as actually doing something illegal with it. It's like having a gun. Guns aren't illegal, but if you commit a crime with a gun, then you are guilty. Same with a drone. If I intrude in a NFZ, its on me. But don't restrict me BEFORE I do something wrong, assuming I might. That's a nanny state, and it is why people are voting with their pocketbooks against DJI.

I don't know where you are from, but down here if you are caught with a gun that isn't registered, that's 10 years behind bars. You get an extra 5 years per bullet.

The major reason I am considering the Evo is because of the non-restrictive NFZ they say it has. HOWEVER! As most of us know, what is a feature now often turns into a trap.
So I am wondering if technically, Autel could, at some future time, add restrictions like DJI has for their NFZ. What I am asking specifically is if, for example, I downloaded the current update, but when a potentially restrictive update comes out, would I be able to ignore the update and keep on flying with the update I have now. In other words, would I be forced to update by Autel even if I didn't want it?

Unless they change something in the future, FW updates aren't required. Of course the requirement would have to be implemented in a future FW update. I usually wait a few weeks before doing a new firmware. My tablet I use for the Evo is not network connected so it doesn't know that any FW updates are out there. If you use a device that is not in airplane mode make sure that you don't have apps set to automatically update.

This board is a great resource that would raise the red flag if such a restriction was put in a future firmware.

Autel does not enforce they just warn. Just fly without your phone if you really want privacy. I just went flying over a lake and there is a airstrip right next to the lake, I did not even get a warning however I spoke to Josh at Skylark airstrip and he told me to keep it under 200 over the lake. Just follow the laws, I know what your saying just stay updated on your UAV forecast and maps. IMO Autel will not be enforcing NFZ anytime soon because they cannot load the maps on the controller. Have a great day.

Flight restriction is and can be activated in any future updates that the country that it is used in requires. Like I said until the US government makes it mandatory there are no restrictions but that can all change in a heart beat..

From the manual:
6.1.2 Flight Restricted Area Illustration
The EVO system automatically recognizes the Flight Restricted Area, in which fl ights are limited by default. This feature guarantees pilots’ safe and legal operations of the product. The fl ight restricted areas are divided into 2 protection categories.
Flight restrictions are enforced only within countries which require manufacturer restrictions by law. As of this writing, China is the only nation that requires manufacturers to impose flight restrictions.

Flight restriction is and can be activated in any future updates that the country that it is used in requires. Like I said until the US government makes it mandatory there are no restrictions but that can all change in a heart beat..

From the manual:
The EVO system automatically recognizes the Flight Restricted Area, in which fl ights are limited by default. This feature guarantees pilots’ safe and legal operations of the product. The fl ight restricted areas are divided into 2 protection categories.
Flight restrictions are enforced only within countries which require manufacturer restrictions by law. As of this writing, China is the only nation that requires manufacturers to impose flight restrictions.
So basically it sounds like DJI's Geofencing with Authorization and Restricted zones.

From the manual:
That is only if you have your phone connected. :) Maps and restrictions do not get stored on the controller. The whole reason why DJI requires you to update is to load the geo fencing information to your phone and drone.

That is only if you have your phone connected. :) Maps and restrictions do not get stored on the controller. The whole reason why DJI requires you to update is to load the geo fencing information to your phone and drone.
Not quite right. Geofencing data is different from firmware updates. You can do all your firmwares and not have geofencing on your bird. I'm not sure the other way around, as I haven't tried it.

Maybe some of the old timers on here remember this update. We all got messages that we were flying in a NFZ no matter where we were. LOL One update is all it took.

Just read through that thread. Did they ever sorted out all of those problems, or is the XSP still full of bugs like those?

Just read through that thread. Did they ever sorted out all of those problems, or is the XSP still full of bugs like those?
Imho they did get all the bugs out but never came up with the promises. Pretty well what they're doing with the EVO. The XSP is an amzing bird that could and should have been better.

Reactions: Ansia
Imho they did get all the bugs out but never came up with the promises. Pretty well what they're doing with the EVO. The XSP is an amzing bird that could and should have been better.
I just did a bid one one, but quickly lost. I hate ebay. ?

• Sad
Reactions: Tufargon

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Kelly