Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Part 107 Test/Recurrency go LIVE 4/6/21... Important notes . . .

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
As of tomorrow the Part 107 Initial Knowledge Test (in person) and Recurrency Training Module (online) will go LIVE with the new materials to cover Night Flights w/o a Waiver and Operations Over People (OOP).

Let's take a quick moment to break this down.

• Tuesday 4//6/2021 Part 107 Testing/Training modules will be updated to include the NEW RULES for Part 107.
  • The NEW RULES for Part 107 don't actually go into effect until 4/21/2021.

So in a nutshell, even after you've passed the IKT or Recurrency Training Module for Part 107 you still can't USE the "privileges" of the New Rules until 4/21/2021.

4/6/21 New Testing/Training LIVE
4/21/21 New Rules for Part 107 go into EFFECT

If you'd like to read more about it here is a link to DSPA with an excellent write-up about it:

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
One of the drone news sites mentioned that those who don't need to get their recurrency cert done should wait for a day or three so the FAA server doesn't get hammered. Especially since the night flying doesn't take effect until the 21st.

Reactions: BigAl07
It's built into the Training Module. It's all or nothing for the Recurrency aspect. Night Flight, OOP, new Showing of Credentials requirement etc. It's all in that one training module.
Okay. I guess that's the government way. If I remember right this would reset the certificate date as well so good for 2 more years from that point.

Reactions: BigAl07
Did the training and testing/exam this morning, it went well, passed (100%). Give your self about 2 hours for the training and test/exam (taking your time, not rushed). Otoh, you could speed through it. Part of the time is watching the video clips, reading the on screen training notes similar to what you would have done for initial, or, previous recurrent.

There is also new items for RID (e.g. part 89), OOP, Night among other things. Also note that in the training section it mentions new rules for OOP, Night, presenting info to LEO etc is effective 3/16/21 which is wrong. The new OOP, night etc goes into effect as mentioned above 4/21.

Suggest having a sheet of paper and pen next to you during training portion to help learn, absorb, comprehend unless your objective is speed memorizing. Also there are practice questions during the training, if you learn from those, you will do well on the actual exam.

The actual exam portion is very streamlined compared to the recurrent exam I took in person last April. There were 45 questions (no, I wont say what they were), just pay attention and comprehend whats shown during the training section. Also take your time and read the test questions carefully, then reread them again.

Good luck

For non manned aircraft pilots is it the Part 61 or Non-Part 61 training course?
Good question and it is a bit confusing, if you are just 107, take the non-part 61 training. If you are part 61 pilot and 107, then take the part 61.

Reactions: Eagle928
Good question and it is a bit confusing, if you are just 107, take the non-part 61 training. If you are part 61 pilot and 107, then take the part 61.
Thanks. This is why I asked the question. It is confusing. For one thing one must know what a part 61 pilot is. There is no explanation of that.

Now back to the test. :)

Reactions: gschulzuio
Thanks. This is why I asked the question. It is confusing. For one thing one must know what a part 61 pilot is. There is no explanation of that.

Now back to the test. :)
No worries and good luck, take your time, make notes during the training and practice questions, for the actual exam, read the questions carefully, there are a couple that might not seem what you think they are asking.

I had a little scare. The site did not recognize that I had finished the training part so it didn't give me the option of taking the exam. I realized my Noscrpt program was running on that page so I disabled it and all was fine. Took the exam which requires a 100% to complete and get the certificate. I got 3 wrong due to not reading the questions right. I have never been good with government speak. Good for 2 years and night flying starting 4/21 with the right equipment.

The flying over people part is still up in the air with the manufacturers still required to have a DoC from the FAA so I would not do that until more clarification is available.

I had a little scare. The site did not recognize that I had finished the training part so it didn't give me the option of taking the exam. I realized my Noscrpt program was running on that page so I disabled it and all was fine. Took the exam which requires a 100% to complete and get the certificate. I got 3 wrong due to not reading the questions right. I have never been good with government speak. Good for 2 years and night flying starting 4/21 with the right equipment.

The flying over people part is still up in the air with the manufacturers still required to have a DoC from the FAA so I would not do that until more clarification is available.
So, were you able to finally get a passing score? There are a couple of questions on the exam that need to be read, re-read, then stop, re-read then answer. In other words, look at what the question is asking and how it is being asked before simply answering. Regarding OOP, lots of moving parts on that still to be flushed out.

So, were you able to finally get a passing score? There are a couple of questions on the exam that need to be read, re-read, then stop, re-read then answer. In other words, look at what the question is asking and how it is being asked before simply answering. Regarding OOP, lots of moving parts on that still to be flushed out.
Yes. It doesn't let you move on until you correct the answers that are wrong. It was obvious what I misunderstood once I read them more carefully.

Yes. It doesn't let you move on until you correct the answers that are wrong. It was obvious what I misunderstood once I read them more carefully.
Yup, there are a couple of questions with plausible distractors... Just pay attention, understand what the question is asking and how asked and will do ok. Congrats btw.

Hello all,

Thank you all for posting this information. Just curious though, I unfortunately had to pay at a testing center to keep current as I had projects in work. I'm good for 2 more years and do understand that I won't be able to fly over people and at night until I complete the "training". No worries.

My question is, if I now go online, and don't pass the training, does that now change my currency status to "not current" since I received a failing score? This is what the test centers would do if you were to go in and attempt to get a "better" score and fail. The score/pass/no pass of your last testing would be counted as your "new" status.

I'm sure everyone will pass, but it's just one of those questions that I haven't seen addressed yet.

Hello all,

Thank you all for posting this information. Just curious though, I unfortunately had to pay at a testing center to keep current as I had projects in work. I'm good for 2 more years and do understand that I won't be able to fly over people and at night until I complete the "training". No worries.

My question is, if I now go online, and don't pass the training, does that now change my currency status to "not current" since I received a failing score? This is what the test centers would do if you were to go in and attempt to get a "better" score and fail. The score/pass/no pass of your last testing would be counted as your "new" status.

I'm sure everyone will pass, but it's just one of those questions that I haven't seen addressed yet.
I would go into the training/exam with a different mindset of can I improve my score and learn more by taking the new training and exam.

If you do not need to fly at night, or operate over people (OOP) while meeting those requirements, then you can wait until closer to your next recurrent exam/training.

Otoh, if you just passed your initial and/or recurrent for 107, if you do the new training, pay attention. There are some things in the training that may differ from what you saw on recent training/test exams, or, what you may have heard or thought to be certain rules. Do the practice questions, then take the exam and pay attention to what the question is asking, how it is being asked, and read, re-read the question and answer option. If you learn via the process you should not have issues with the same. Good luck.

Hi all. Sorry for the confusing question. What I was referring to was some verbiage from the PSI centers policy below. I just wasn't sure if the FAA had some "small print" in there for that type of situation since they are responsible for recurrent training now.

RETESTING FOR HIGHER SCORE A candidate retesting, in an attempt to achieve a higher passing score, may retake the same test 30 days after the date of the last attempt. The candidate is required to submit the original applicable AKTR indicating the previous passing score to the proctor prior to testing.

The score of the most recent test taken is the official score.

I guess PSI policy wouldn't really be applicable anymore since the training is not through them(PSI) and this is "recurrent training" vs. "recurrent testing".

Sorry, I guess I was thinking "too deep"...lol

Took the course and test today, super easy, way easier than the previous recurring test; only took about 30min for me since that's all the free time I had before heading to my next photo shoot. All set for the 21st. The whole experience was so much better than paying for the test, paying the facility, driving to the test site; etc.

The night flying stuff is great too, daylight operations waivers were becoming a joke; everyone was just copying the template that's freely available online. I got my daylight operations waiver in less than 2wks; going forward I won't even have to deal with renewing that.

The most confusing part of the whole thing was the website. Your DroneZone username/pwd will not work here so you have to sign up again (I first tried my DroneZone information), and the little buttons do not show completed for each section even if you have completed that section until you click the next section.

Most training material shows completed as soon as you complete the section and most training material make it so that you cannot click the next section until you have completed the previous section. Still, overall very fast, painless, and free (aka taxpayer funded) so I'm not complaining.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials