Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FAA Part 107 training/testing pushed to 3/16/21

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Heads Up! There is been a slight change to the Part 107 recurrence training. The roll-out will change from 3/1/21 to 3/16/21. This was so it would be in "accordance with the memorandum of January 20, 2021, from the Assistant to the President and Chief of Staff, titled “Regulatory Freeze Pending Review"." Basically, a new administration has the right to put any new rule "on hold for review" if it was added to the Federal Register during a specific time period between transitions.

It's very common. Although a pain in the backside for some. If you need to get your 107 current before 3/17/21, you'll need to take the in person recurrent test (UGR) one more time before you can take advantage of the new training. Unfortunately.

If your 107 is current after 3/1/21, this will not affect you.

If you have any questions, ask below. We'll get them answered for you as best we can.

That is very unfortunate, my 107 expires on 3/12/2021. Your statement "If your 107 is current after 3/1/21, this will not affect you" is a bit confusing. Does that mean that even though my exact renewal date was 12 March 2019 that it doesn't really lapse until 1 April 2021?

That is very unfortunate, my 107 expires on 3/12/2021. Your statement "If your 107 is current after 3/1/21, this will not affect you" is a bit confusing. Does that mean that even though my exact renewal date was 12 March 2019 that it doesn't really lapse until 1 April 2021?

Many people get confused by the wording of this. Nothing "Expires" with Pilot Privs. You lose currency.

Your "currency" is good until the last DAY of the month, 24 months after you last became current (Lapse of currency not expired).

So assuming you tested on 3/12/19 you are "Current" until 3/31/2021

As of 4/1/21 you are no longer "current" and as such you can not exercise the privileges of Part 107 until you become current again.

Last Day of the Month 24 Months after you last became CURRENT.

If you become current again on 4/2/2021 you will remain current until 4/30/2023

Reactions: herein2021
Many people get confused by the wording of this. Nothing "Expires" with Pilot Privs. You lose currency.

Your "currency" is good until the last DAY of the month, 24 months after you last became current (Lapse of currency not expired).

So assuming you tested on 3/12/19 you are "Current" until 3/31/2021

As of 4/1/21 you are no longer "current" and as such you can not exercise the privileges of Part 107 until you become current again.

Last Day of the Month 24 Months after you last became CURRENT.

If you become current again on 4/2/2021 you will remain current until 4/30/2023

Thank you for the explanation, so it sounds like I am good to go as long as I take the test before I lose currency which for me will happen on 1 April 2021.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thank you for the explanation, so it sounds like I am good to go as long as I take the test before I lose currency which for me will happen on 1 April 2021.

Yes and even if you don't become current you just bench yourself until you do. You could wait 6 months and then take the online recurrency training and you're good to go again for another 24 months from the end of the month you become current again.

Is the night flying course and test pushed back to the 16th as well?

It sounds like it.

Is the night flying course and test pushed back to the 16th as well?

It sounds like it.

Yes all of the "New" stuff is pushed back for ADMIN review. This is common when a new POTUS takes over but we had hoped they would gloss over this but that's not the case.

Don't forget your Recurrent Training and Part 107 will be FREE of Charge Online and www.faasafety.gov

So, you don't have to go to PSI and pay that ridiculous fee again.

Also in the news, Recreational Pilots in the near future, will be required to take a Certification Test as well. This DOES NOT Apply to Part 107 pilots. Only to everyone else who fly's a UAS in the US! And the test will be given free of charge by the FAA!

Don't forget your Recurrent Training and Part 107 will be FREE of Charge Online and www.faasafety.gov

So, you don't have to go to PSI and pay that ridiculous fee again.

Also in the news, Recreational Pilots in the near future, will be required to take a Certification Test as well. This DOES NOT Apply to Part 107 pilots. Only to everyone else who fly's a UAS in the US! And the test will be given free of charge by the FAA!

The initial Part 107 will still be an In-Person test at a testing facility. Nothing about that has changed and most likely wont. The mere fact they are allowing recurrency training etc online is a HUGE step forward.

Personally, I feel like Part 107 needs to be a bit tougher and should require some form of Flight Proficiency Demonstration. Just my 2 cents.

The initial Part 107 will still be an In-Person test at a testing facility. Nothing about that has changed and most likely wont. The mere fact they are allowing recurrency training etc online is a HUGE step forward.

Personally, I feel like Part 107 needs to be a bit tougher and should require some form of Flight Proficiency Demonstration. Just my 2 cents.
Like what kind of proficiency demonstration. Launch the drone, fly the drone, land the drone?

Who would do this and what kind of liability would they have if a tester crashed during the test into (insert crazy thing here)?

I disagree unless you're talking about doing it on a simulator at the testing site.

Like what kind of proficiency demonstration. Launch the drone, fly the drone, land the drone?

Who would do this and what kind of liability would they have if a tester crashed during the test into (insert crazy thing here)?

I disagree unless you're talking about doing it on a simulator at the testing site.

Part 107 has no credibility what-so-ever in ensuring the operator can fly a UAS. What other credentials do you know of that you never have to prove you can "do" the task? I had to DRIVE to get driver's license... I had to FLY to get Pilots License... I had to SHOOT to get Carry Permit... why in the world would a RPIC not be required to demonstrate they can SAFELY take off, land, and maneuver the UAS in a controlled manner?

For Emergency Services we require the operators to be able to fly in very specific scenarios, tight quarters, high stress situations, all just to even be considered for flying.

Part 107 has no credibility what-so-ever in ensuring the operator can fly a UAS. What other credentials do you know of that you never have to prove you can "do" the task? I had to DRIVE to get driver's license... I had to FLY to get Pilots License... I had to SHOOT to get Carry Permit... why in the world would a RPIC not be required to demonstrate they can SAFELY take off, land, and maneuver the UAS in a controlled manner?

For Emergency Services we require the operators to be able to fly in very specific scenarios, tight quarters, high stress situations, all just to even be considered for flying.
I get your point and concur you have some valid concerns.

Do we then have to get a license to throw a baseball, a frisbee, a flat rock across a lake. The thing is the most basic of drone flying is so easy a monkey can just about do it. Camera drones literally fly themselves at times by design. The Evo drones can quickly and easily be programmed to take off, fly to a designated spot, then return and land without touching more than a button on the monitor.

I suggest those in the profession (not just making youtube videos) literally police themselves. A professional film company is not going to let just anyone with a 107 license fly their Inspire during a critical shoot on location and someone who has hung their shingle as a professional aerial photographer doesn't get to that point before many hours of practice, some failures, and a desire to get it right.

I believe the wheat is separated by the chaff up front without the need for a demonstration someone can push a joystick up, left, right, and down.

This field is still in the early days and may eventually be more autonomous than direct flight other than as a stop gap safety measure. Over regulation will hurt us far more than help us.

Can a 2 lb drone kill someone? Of course. A person without a plane, car, truck license can operate those items and kill a lot more people if that's their goal. People who want to use a drone as a weapon, say carrying plastic explosives or something, would do it without any test. Criminals don't obey the law which is why overreaching gun laws never work.

In the end we may have to agree to disagree on this subject. As the saying goes; we can't fix stupid. During the Superbowl, with a full TFR of no drones/flying allowed for several miles around the stadium, 70 stupid people still did it. At least two of them are licensed 107 operators and they still did it knowing better. Stupid is as stupid does. No operator test can fix that. They are looking at possible jail time. For sure will lose their 107 license; maybe for life.

Cheers and Regards.

Heads UP!! Many of our fellow Part 107 Operators are failing to read the fine print and taking an online test for MANNED Aircraft Pilots and it does NOT satisfy the requirements to make non Manned Pilots Current!! Below is an exert I put out on a couple of Part 107 groups that I felt like needed to be shared here.

Online ReCurrency:
There is a Part 61 online recurrency exam but it's for Current Part 61 (manned aircraft) Pilots only. Unfortunately many Part 107 operators have stumbled onto this test and did not take the time to read the NOT SO FINE print at the top of the page which clearly ( and not in fine print) states the following (bold added by me but other than that it's Copy & Paste) -
*******************************************************************************************************************************
Part 107 Small UAS Recurrent Course Introduction

The FAA has developed regulations to allow the operation of small unmanned aircraft systems (small UAS) in the National Airspace System (NAS) for purposes other than recreational aircraft operation. The rules are specified in 14 CFR part 107 and address UAS classification, certification, and operating rules.

This course is designed for part 61 pilot certificate holders who have a current flight review (in accordance with 14 CFR part 61.56) and wish to remain current as a part 107 remote pilot with a small UAS rating. References to “part 61 pilot certificate holders” specifically refer to holders of pilot certificates other than student pilot certificates. Part 61 pilot certificates include sport pilot, recreational pilot, private pilot, commercial pilot and air transport pilot certificates.

As a certificated pilot, much of what you already know about manned aircraft applies to the operation of small unmanned aircraft. This course assumes the learner has a remote pilot certificate and operational knowledge of 14 CFR part 61, “Certification: Pilots, Flight Instructors, and Ground Instructors,” and 14 CFR part 91, “General Operating and Flight Rules.” The course focuses on the knowledge areas of 14 CFR part 107 that are beyond the operational knowledge of parts 61 and 91.

Others may take this course as a self-study resource, including:

• Holders of a part 107 remote pilot certificate who do not hold a part 61 pilot certificate (or part 61 pilot certificate holders without a current flight review or other provisions of 14 CFR part 61.56)
  • Aviation Safety Inspectors (ASIs)
  • Aviation Safety Technicians (ASTs)
  • FAASTeam Program Managers (FPMs)
  • Anyone interested in learning more about 14 CFR part 107
*******************************************************************************************************************************

So several (and I mean a LOT) operators who wanted to sneak under the wire to get their Part 107 Currency spent approx 2hrs (maybe more LOL) studying and testing for something they THOUGHT was making them current but in fact was just a PRACTICE test for them. If you don't hold a Part 61 license and you are CURRENT with your BFR that test is nothing but practice.

The above is a classic example of why you need to read and ABSORB everything the FAA puts on their pages in training and test materials. The DEVIL is in the DETAILS.

Reactions: gschulzuio
@BigAl07 the local FSDO did say that he thinks that location is the exact location where they will replace the current course/test with the new recurrent test when it is available so it's not a bad idea to bookmark the URL but it is definitely a waste of time for current 107 only holders at the moment. I did check there yesterday hoping that somehow they had accidentally posted the new test there based on the original 1 March date but no go.

@BigAl07 the local FSDO did say that he thinks that location is the exact location where they will replace the current course/test with the new recurrent test when it is available so it's not a bad idea to bookmark the URL but it is definitely a waste of time for current 107 only holders at the moment. I did check there yesterday hoping that somehow they had accidentally posted the new test there based on the original 1 March date but no go.
The url for the new training/test is faasafety.gov

Even though Im current through April 2022, I did the training and exam this morning, it went well, passed with flying colors.

Note: There are two tests, pay attention to which one you take.
If you are only 107 (e.g. not part 61) then take the 107 training/test/exam that says "non part 61".
If you are 107 and part 61, then take the training/test for part 61.

Budget 2 hours for the training and exam, granted you could fly through it faster. Part of the time is for going through the training scenarios, practice questions, watching some videos. The actual exam was 45 questions and went very quick.

Tips, have some paper and pen handy when doing the training, do the practice questions as there are a few you will want to think about. There may be a few items in the training and practice exams where you might be tempted to say thats wrong, and if you select certain answers, you might find out its wrong from what you know, or believed from the past.

Another tip is in the training section, the practice questions are there to learn from, you can go back and relearn if you get one wrong. However in the actual exam, what you fill out and submit for grading is what will be your final score.

Same with the actual exam, there are a couple that you will want to slow down, think, re-read to get them right. Also in the training material, there are a few things that need updating for example where it mentions new rules for OOP, night, presenting documents goes into effect 3/16/21 which is now 4/21/21.

Here's the actual URL's directly to the tests (as of today 4/6/21)

ALC-677 for Non-Part 61 Aviators

ALC-515 for Part 61 Holders who are current with their Flight Review

Take note that ALC-515 Specifically states:
Part 107 sUAS Recurrent – Part 61 Pilots Introduction

The FAA has developed regulations to allow the operation of small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS) in the National Airspace System (NAS) for purposes other than limited recreational use. The rules are specified in 14 CFR part 107 and address UAS classification, certification, and operating rules.

This training is designed for part 61 pilot certificate holders with a current flight review (in accordance with 14 CFR § 61.56) who wish to remain current as a part 107 remote pilot with an sUAS rating.

Others may take this training as a self-study resource, including:

• Aviation Safety Inspectors (ASIs)
  • Anyone interested in learning more about 14 CFR part 107

If I remember correctly part 61 refers to manned aircraft pilots so if your only a drone pilot you want to pick the non-part 61 test.

Do I have that right Big 107

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo