Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Panorama

bkushner

Reaction score
Anyone know why the Lite+ doesn't stitch a panorama in camera? What's a good program for this?

Anyone know why the Lite+ doesn't stitch a panorama in camera? What's a good program for this?
PTGUI is by far the best but expensive you can also use ICE by Microsoft Image Composite Editor - Microsoft Research not bad and free. Good luck!

Oh and over on the DJI M3 forum they are complaining that the time it takes to stitch in drone is way too long and not needed as you can't do other stuff while it's stitching. So I would say it's a great feature not to stitch on the fly for the lite+

I just read in the manual that in Panoramic mode the aircraft will take several photos and composite them. What am I doing wrong that I'm not getting a composite?

Would be great if there is an option in settings to turn the stitching part on or off?

Reactions: bkushner
Oh and over on the DJI M3 forum they are complaining that the time it takes to stitch in drone is way too long and not needed as you can't do other stuff while it's stitching. So I would say it's a great feature not to stitch on the fly for the lite+
The M3 Pano mode has a way to go yet..... I have it on my Air 2S and it works great.

The original EVO 2 Pro Panorama mode is unusable as implemented..... it takes a bunch of photos, sits in the air on a black screen for several minutes while it attempts to stitch them together, then outputs an image with misalignments anyway. It is both unsafe and useless. It really needs a switch to just take the photos without trying to process them in the air.

Hopefully the EVO Lite+ Pano mode will eventually do everything you want but at least for now it snaps the photos for you.

Again, mine doesn't stitch.....what am I missing here?

You definitely do not want in air stitching, it is far better to take the images yourself, overlap them by at least 20%, shoot RAW, then stitch in post with the software of your choice. As others have mentioned PTGui is by far the best available and is what I use, Microsoft ICE is free but no longer maintained or supported, Lightroom has Panorama stitching abilities, but I have never tried them, and I am sure there are a few others out there.

This topic comes up pretty often on this forum, you can click here to read more on my process.

Reactions: G_G and bkushner
PTGUI is by far the best but expensive you can also use ICE by Microsoft Image Composite Editor - Microsoft Research not bad and free. Good luck!

Uhmm ....The Mavic 3 takes a total of 75 seconds to shoot and stitch a 50MB high quality 360° pano from 26 stills of 20MB each, from a micro 4/3 sensor.

The EVO 2 Pro 6k takes 4.5 minutes just to shoot the same 26 images, and cannot stitch them at all.

Why does it take Autel 4x longer than DJI, without even stitching the images?

Reactions: Bussty
Uhmm ....The Mavic 3 takes a total of 75 seconds to shoot and stitch a 50MB high quality 360° pano from 26 stills of 20MB each, from a micro 4/3 sensor.

The EVO 2 Pro 6k takes 4.5 minutes just to shoot the same 26 images, and cannot stitch them at all.

Why does it take Autel 4x longer than DJI, without even stitching the images?
This is a good question!

Reactions: G_G
This is a good question!
Do you find 35 seconds to stitch a 50MB high resolution spherical pano excessive after a 40 second shooting interval on a micro 4/3 sensor? I think it's impressive. Can't imagine why anyone would be complaining about it! Takes at least 5 minutes to do in a stitching program! I'm loving it! Wish the EVO 2 Pro 6k could keep up!

It actually does, you can see it in the Autel Sky gallery tab, although it's not saved on the drone SD card.

Wide angle panos can be stitched directly in Lightroom (Ctrl+M) and edited like DNGs, but 360º panos won't have the proper size, so for 360º you must use other software.

For max quality 360º panos, shoot the pano in DNG, edit in Lightroom, export in Tiff 16 bits and stitch either in Huginn or PTGui. PTGui is the best, while Huginn is completely free.

The main problem on pano photos in Autel Sky is that you can't compensate the exposure.

Once the images have been taken you can fly the drone normally while the stitching process is being done, you can also cancel the auto stitching process if you don't want to wait, as images will remain in the SD card.

Again, mine doesn't stitch.....what am I missing here?
I'm new to this forum but I think it has to be capturing .jpg or .jpg and raw to stitch. I use Adobe Raw to stitch mine and I take photos with about 70% overlap to help with the wide angle distortion.

It actually does, you can see it in the Autel Sky gallery tab, although it's not saved on the drone SD card.

Wide angle panos can be stitched directly in Lightroom (Ctrl+M) and edited like DNGs, but 360º panos won't have the proper size, so for 360º you must use other software.

For max quality 360º panos, shoot the pano in DNG, edit in Lightroom, export in Tiff 16 bits and stitch either in Huginn or PTGui. PTGui is the best, while Huginn is completely free.

The main problem on pano photos in Autel Sky is that you can't compensate the exposure.

Once the images have been taken you can fly the drone normally while the stitching process is being done, you can also cancel the auto stitching process if you don't want to wait, as images will remain in the SD card.
I concur, I tried the pano for the first time yesterday at a construction site. The Lite+ shot what I thought would be the top-left first, based the exposure off that first shot of the sky, then every shot of the ground was under-exposed. At the end, it swung farther left and got 3 more shots, but the long and the short is that the shots below the horizon were app under-exposed, and I had no control of the left and right limits of the shot.

Consider a 3-shot multi-exposure burst, HDR each set of 3, then stitch with at least MS ICE, which is great for a free app (I'm not sure it ever really had support from MS). My Lightroom version won't stitch, but Photoshop will.

Like most, I'd hoped for better from Autel, but am learning to work with the limitations and capabilities.

Reactions: EBEPLS

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials