Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Notice From Autel About Controllers and Compatibility in the Future

There is no SC firmware available for download on the Autel web site.

It would be nice (handy!) if they at least made the current firmware version available to download :/

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
There is no SC firmware available for download on the Autel web site.

It would be nice (handy!) if they at least made the current firmware version available to download :/
i think they are going to have the SC locked down, which is kinda shame.

there was no real reason to send it off to autel. what they are simply going to do is go into bootload or recovery mode and reflash the SC. ive been able to get into bootloader. what Autel needs to do is release information on how to reflash SC.
FWIW...they asked me to send it in....

Reactions: PingSpike
FWIW...they asked me to send it in....
Most Android devices can be accessed using ADB, but it's not an intuitive process and has to be done from a CLI. There's also a small chance of permanently bricking the device.

Plus, this is an aircraft controller; so there's potential liability in the case of a bad or incomplete flash.

Some sort of backup capability using TWRP or a GUI-based interface to ADB would be a nice addition, especially since it's a custom build.

The other factor that weighed in my decision to postpone canceling is that by the time I buy a TRIPLTEK, the mount, lanyard, high-gain antenna, and extra remote, to achieve approximately the same functionality as the SC (including the redundant controller), the cost is about the same.

The functionality advantage would actually lean slightly toward the TRIPLTEK because it does have other possible uses and has at least some time left before obsolescence, especially if the manufacturer upgrades the OS as they have promised. But it would also be more cumbersome and increase setup time at each job. Only by a few minutes, but they do add up.

My hunch is still that the simplest and least-expensive way that Autel could make everyone whole would be by replacing whatever circuitry is necessary to retrofit V1's into V2's, especially in cases in which the drone was purchased based on the company's published promise of the SC. That's how virtually all electronic device "repairs" are done anyway nowadays: They just replace the entire innards.

FCC (and potentially FAA) might frown on that, however, especially as a DIY retrofit. There's very little you can change about an FCC-certified device before it has to undergo recertification; and even then, they usually insist that it be done by the manufacturer or an approved service center
I am currently running a Tripletek rig (with the SkyFire Ariel). Here's some thoughts if you are interested. The reasons I would prefer the SC are as follows:
1.) Weight/Balance - the Tripltek rig (even without a signal booster) is VERY heavy and feels unbalanced to hold during flight. I fly RC airplanes as well - and my airplane rig is much more comfortable. I think the SC is less heavy and would be more balanced.
2.) Setup time: I keep my controller in the original GPC case and it takes me about 5-10 minutes BEFORE and AFTER every flight to set the controller up with the SkyFire Aerial mount. This could be solved by keeping it assembled all the time and getting a separate case - but I don't really want to do that.
3.) Brightness: The Tripltek is bright but I think the SC is brighter. I would like just a little more brightness out if the Tripletek in sunlight.
4.) Form Factor: As I've already mentioned, I think the balance of the SC will be much better than The Tripltek rig. I also think it will be much more comfortable to use - the ergonomics of the SC will be much more pleasant - control sticks/auxiliary button placement, and quality of construction. The ergonomics of the original controller (even without the Tripltek) have never been pleasing to me.

I will however say that the Tripltek is a very nice Tablet and will provide much flexibility (working with other drones/brands). Also - Tripltek provides AWESOME tech support.

So I plan on using a V1 Smart Controller keeping the original/Tripltek remote as a backup.

When all the V2 stuff comes out and is working well - I will see if Randall/Autel live up to their word and I will upgrade. If I am not "taken care of" to MY satisfaction - I will sell all of my gear and permanently switch to another brand - likely DJI.

Which reminds me - the Mavic Pro 3 might change my whole evaluation of the current situation. ?

I am currently running a Tripletek rig (with the SkyFire Ariel). Here's some thoughts if you are interested. The reasons I would prefer the SC are as follows:
1.) Weight/Balance - the Tripltek rig (even without a signal booster) is VERY heavy and feels unbalanced to hold during flight. I fly RC airplanes as well - and my airplane rig is much more comfortable. I think the SC is less heavy and would be more balanced.
2.) Setup time: I keep my controller in the original GPC case and it takes me about 5-10 minutes BEFORE and AFTER every flight to set the controller up with the SkyFire Aerial mount. This could be solved by keeping it assembled all the time and getting a separate case - but I don't really want to do that.
3.) Brightness: The Tripltek is bright but I think the SC is brighter. I would like just a little more brightness out if the Tripletek in sunlight.
4.) Form Factor: As I've already mentioned, I think the balance of the SC will be much better than The Tripltek rig. I also think it will be much more comfortable to use - the ergonomics of the SC will be much more pleasant - control sticks/auxiliary button placement, and quality of construction. The ergonomics of the original controller (even without the Tripltek) have never been pleasing to me.

I will however say that the Tripltek is a very nice Tablet and will provide much flexibility (working with other drones/brands). Also - Tripltek provides AWESOME tech support.

So I plan on using a V1 Smart Controller keeping the original/Tripltek remote as a backup.

When all the V2 stuff comes out and is working well - I will see if Randall/Autel live up to their word and I will upgrade. If I am not "taken care of" to MY satisfaction - I will sell all of my gear and permanently switch to another brand - likely DJI.

Which reminds me - the Mavic Pro 3 might change my whole evaluation of the current situation. ?
Thank you. That's pretty much what I figured, but I appreciate the first-hand input from your experience.

Reactions: ehill
Now this is more like it:

That's what I mean by specificity.

Whether he's been "saying it all along" frankly raises my eyebrows. But he's saying it now, so I'm satisfied.
yeah sorry thought you had seen that a few days ago; now I understand why you might have had big questions about "being taken care of." :)

yeah sorry thought you had seen that a few days ago; now I understand why you might have had big questions about "being taken care of." :)

Nah, if someone posted that video already, I missed it; and it never came up in the hours and hours I spent researching the device and alternatives. Oddly enough, it came up when I was searching for information regarding whether microG would work on the SC as a substitute for Google Play Services.

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
not sure if this has been asked or not but are we updating the SC to the new version of the Explorer android app or are we waiting?

Spent some time with the new Panoramic feature on the SC, Very impressed how simplified it is to use. Here’s a screen pic of one of the panoramic features after all stitching was completed, can’t remember if it was Portrait or landscape. Tried all four, including wide and spherical. Only Spherical stitching feature is not activated at present time, maybe on a future update. With Panorama, just point camera and press Go. After taking a series of shots, it’ll automatically stitch everything together.

Also, couple of screen shots of Image transmission using Auto. Indoors it would switch from 2.4mhz then 900mhz, SmartController V1 does have a Dual band feature.

Using the SC makes flying more enjoyable, great investment!
Paul

CA1F4BF9-D862-4098-9EEF-C3B1F87CBB1C.jpegCEA7D44C-B443-45A6-AF5A-D409620A56DC.jpegCB201926-F2BE-4576-8D30-15F9E9977104.jpeg

Weird thing during updates. Tried to register the drone as a brand new device and activate. Had error during this not surprisingly and restarting process

Hi all,

Any one knows what's happend with European Market?. I understand that Autel release 500 units ONLY for USA maket, but in Europe many people (like me), buy EVO II and wait for SC. Now Autel abandon all of us, and the felling is: umm, shi.... , why wouldn't I buy a DJI Mavic? . I my work every day defend Autel platform in front of DJI, but now, i can't.

Personally, I feel betrayed by Autel. I'll surely sell my Autel (if find any one who want buy), and head down returnig to DJI. At least with DJI you know what to expect

PD: Apoligize for my English.

Hi all,

Any one knows what's happend with European Market?. I understand that Autel release 500 units ONLY for USA maket, but in Europe many people (like me), buy EVO II and wait for SC. Now Autel abandon all of us, and the felling is: umm, shi.... , why wouldn't I buy a DJI Mavic? . I my work every day defend Autel platform in front of DJI, but now, i can't.

Personally, I feel betrayed by Autel. I'll surely sell my Autel (if find any one who want buy), and head down returnig to DJI. At least with DJI you know what to expect

unfortunately this is a bad situation and not a lot can be done at this point. at this point, there are not a lot of options; more likely a wait and see situation.

Hi all,

I think you need to ask yourself why you left dji for autel. Im sure there are more reasons than the smart controller.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lmccaskill