Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Nothing special - just flying around over water near Annapolis

Thanks. I graduated from the Academy in another lifetime. It's been awhile since I've been back. Good to see the sights again.

Nice video. You guys that spend a lot of time flying over water must have nerves of steel.

Nice video. You guys that spend a lot of time flying over water must have nerves of steel.

Haha, not really. I trust the bird. To me it doesn't matter if it decided to crash from 200-300 feet into the water or the street. Either way, you won't have a drone anymore.

Thanks. I graduated from the Academy in another lifetime. It's been awhile since I've been back. Good to see the sights again.
When the weather gets better, I am planning to fly around the Naval Academy a little bit more. Maybe will wait for the EVO before doing so. don't like hauling around a big drone around with me, plus not wanting to get all the attention from people around.

After 4.5 years of flying over water I still get that gut wrenching feeling. I also fly a lot of heavy forest and losing a UAV in some of those places is just as bad. I had a home built one go down about 15 feet into light treed area and if it was not for the beeping I would never have found it. :)

You would think out here where I fly you could find one that went down in a few minutes. Not the case. There are so many gully's and cactus thickets you can walk right buy one and never see it. I lost one that I got from my friend and looked for it for a week that blasted thing is still out there someplace.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
You would think out here where I fly you could find one that went down in a few minutes. Not the case. There are so many gully's and cactus thickets you can walk right buy one and never see it. I lost one that I got from my friend and looked for it for a week that blasted thing is still out there someplace.

Yup they can be hard to find thats for sure. One guy had his Typhoon H go down in the desert and it was just before sun down so he got lucky to see the lights blinking or he said he would never found it where it was. He was looking in the wrong area and decided elsewhere and saw it off in the distance. GPS trackers are good but where I fly I am not sure even if I knew where it was if I could get to it. :)

Being "Navy" water and flying are synonymous, it's what we do. Nevertheless, My hearing improves and I can't sleep at 40,000ft and all you can see is water in all directions. You'll get "ok" with it, but never "over" it. Tip: Be extra aware of your control inputs at first especially if your flying low (<5 ft). Not much room for control input error and that height. Things get wet really fast.

The good news, I saw a youtube video of a guy recovering his drone from under a waterfall. He dove in and saw it on the bottom, lights still flashing. Recovered/dried out and flew the next day.

When the weather gets better, I am planning to fly around the Naval Academy a little bit more. Maybe will wait for the EVO before doing so. don't like hauling around a big drone around with me, plus not wanting to get all the attention from people around.
Yeah, some Midshipman might think it's a "live fire" opportunity. Heading to MD in May to attend my daughters graduation from medical school. Planning on taking a walk around campus for the memories.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fischcrazy