Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Not sure what's going on here, but it's not right.

Screenshot_2017-12-13-08-30-33[1].png
How about this?

Learn how to connect to GPS on the Samsung Galaxy Tab A.

1. From any Home screen, tap Apps.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Scroll to 'Personal,' then tap Privacy.
  4. Tap Location.
  5. If necessary, slide the Location Switch right to the ON position, then tap Agree.
  6. Tap Locating method.
  7. Select desired locating method:
    • GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile networks
    • Wi-Fi and mobile networks
    • GPS only

Followed the directions and it seems I already have this stuff set up, minus the mobile networks because my Tab - A is WiFi only.

Well I'm kinda out of ideas but being a android system you can go into where it is installed and stores all you flight data and other files. I would delete anything you see that deals with the starlink app. Then delete the app and reinstall it. There might have been some left over corrupted file on your last install.
Other then that I am out of ideas :)

Well I'm kinda out of ideas

Yeah, I'm running dry myself. I even downloaded another Starlink app on my phone to see if that makes a difference (in addition to the one on my Tab - A). Looked good - maps and all, then the Chinese symbols showed up there! And the maps went away. I'll bet I can come up with a hell of a conspiracy theory!

So I grabbed my old, old Motorola phone which has the old original Starlink app on it. I'm going to take it with me next time I fly and see what happens with it.

Did you know you can use your old phones for everything except making phone calls? WiFi works fine. As an aside, I've actually gotten phone calls on my non-hooked up phones a couple times. Blew me away.

Don't know if this would be relevant to the XSP, but I noticed where some folks over on the P4 forum (the one that you can access at the bottom of this page) were having what sounds like the exact same problem last summer:
New update missing maps
Looks like the problem was in the controller, and performing a "factory reset" on the controller fixed the issue. If the problem is in the controller, it seems like you'll have the same issue regardless of which device you are using. I have no idea how a reset can be done on the XSP controller, or if it's even possible, but it may be something worth investigating. Maybe reinstalling the firmware just for the controller, although you may just get a message saying it's current. I've worked with other equipment is the past where there were "unpublished" ways of performing a reset, such as holding the power button down for a certain number of seconds, maybe someone else here has some knowledge on how to do that, or time to contact Autel CS. Anyway, one more idea to throw into the mix:).

Reactions: Tommy Molnar
Don't know if this would be relevant to the XSP.

"New update missing maps"

Time to contact Autel CS. Anyway, one more idea to throw into the mix:).

Thanks Sundog. I went over and read that thread. Man, their map issues, and the screen shots look like MY screen shots - and map issues. Two different companies (or are they . . .? :eek:) with the same mapping and Chinese character complaints. Very strange, I'd say. Maybe I should call Art Bell or George Noori - and get a conspiracy theory up and running. ;)

Now, I'm not so sure it's a controller problem since this stuff happens on my Tab-A even when it's not connected to the controller. But, your final suggestion may be the next step. Calling the world famous Autel Customer Service and see what they say. I may just bring up the similarity to the DJI mapping problems and the suddenly appearing Chinese characters in the background in Hybrid map mode, and the characters in the lower corners. Looking at those, I think the are supposed to be some sort of 'legend' to show the scope of the map (if there WAS a map showing - ahem).

Yeah, I thought the similarities were pretty amazing. Be interesting to see what happens with your old phone. When you say the same thing happens on your Tab-A even when not connected, do you mean right after you delete and reinstall the app, or does it happen after you've connected to the controller once, and then disconnected? Just wondering if it looks normal immediately after reinstalling but before connecting, and then goes bad after connecting once, if possibly the Tab-A is showing the bad map data that is then "cached" in the controller?

Hmmmm. Interesting question about just when this all occurs. Well, I'm planning on heading out to Washoe later on today to try again. May as well delete and reload Starlink and write down the chain of events that lead to this 'crap'. After all, what have I got to lose? I think I'll do that before I call Customer Service so I can line it all out in the order of occurrence(s).

Hmmmm. Interesting question about just when this all occurs. Well, I'm planning on heading out to Washoe later on today to try again. May as well delete and reload Starlink and write down the chain of events that lead to this 'crap'. After all, what have I got to lose? I think I'll do that before I call Customer Service so I can line it all out in the order of occurrence(s).
I have the same issued.updated Google maps ,went into program manager and removed cache and data on starlink rebooted and the maps showed up.does not work every time but it did recently.yesterday.make sure in program settings location that starlink shows it gets GPS info.the Chinese lettering looks like some default screen when no location is being shared.newest version of Android so far does not have the problem.good luck

Took the pumpkin out yesterday to re-test all this stuff. Turned out to be a bit too windy where I wanted to fly so I just did everything but attach the props. Maps showed up at home, but when I booted up Starlink, they briefly (like a couple seconds!) started to show in the lower left but quickly went blank and put the Chinese characters down there under the blank screen. I picked the pumpkin up and walked around with it to check the video. There was about a five second lag in the video - REALLY. I could walk around, then set it on the ground, and watch my shadow walk up and set it down - that much of a delay. So, I decided to delete the Starlink program and re-download it using a hot spot I created with my cell phone (as I've mentioned before, my Tab-A is WiFi only). After a painfully slow download, I booted up Starlink and VIOLA! Maps show up in Google Maps in the lower left, and it's exactly where I'm standing. It's still too windy to fly so I walk around with the pumpkin and all is good. Almost no lag in the video or the screen.

I'm going to try to get a flight in today and see what happens. Next step is to call Autel and see if they have any suggestions. I think I've tried everything I can think of, and tried everything other pilots have suggested. What to do, what to do . . . . . :(

I have a Lenovo Tab3 7" tablet. It was the cheapest tablet I could find at our local bestbuy here in Canada. At the time it was unclear if it would work with the X-Star as it was not in the Autel list of tablets. I knew the processor was just bottom line so I did not expect anything fantastic with it. It has WiFi and GPS. I takes what seems forever to boot up. The screen is not the brightest but with the added BROTECT Matte Screen Protector it works well in bright sunlight. I deleted every App that I did not need as this was to be used just for the X-Star.
What I found is it has to be turned completely off, not into sleep mode or it would lose the maps in Starlink by the time I got to where I was flying. I also use my phones hotspot to connect to so most times this is not a problem. The Tablet would connect to my phone and the maps would appear after 2 or 3 minutes.

Finally got out yesterday and got a flight in. This is the first time I used the AZ Recorder (for a total screen shot video of my entire flight). The Google Maps remained intact the whole time. Wow. I didn't realize how sensitive the audio record is with the AZ Recorder. You can hear the traffic on the nearby road, and sometimes my breathing - ha. Next time I'll talk about what's going on with the flight, and me, as I get used to this thing.

I still don't get the video interference thing that starts even before I take off, and I'm mere feet from the XSP. Then I have to listen to it for the entire flight, until that's replaced with "Going Home Now". If you stick with the video (I know, it's boring - except to me - ahem) you'll see where it wants to go home just short of a mile but I cancel the Go Home, turn around, and keep going.

I didn't do ANY editing on this video (mainly because I don't know how . . .), and it is the first one like this I've ever done. Editing will come later as I become the next Cecil B. DeMille . . . ;)

Reactions: dronechimp
Apple never allowed screen recorders until iOS 11. If you wanted a screen recorder before that for a Apple product it would have to be jailbroken or know how to sideload the App.

Apple never allowed screen recorders until iOS 11. If you wanted a screen recorder before that for a Apple product it would have to be jailbroken or know how to sideload the App.

Gee, never knew that, but then, I don't use any Apple products for flying.

Finally got out yesterday and got a flight in. This is the first time I used the AZ Recorder (for a total screen shot video of my entire flight). The Google Maps remained intact the whole time. Wow. I didn't realize how sensitive the audio record is with the AZ Recorder. You can hear the traffic on the nearby road, and sometimes my breathing - ha. Next time I'll talk about what's going on with the flight, and me, as I get used to this thing.

I still don't get the video interference thing that starts even before I take off, and I'm mere feet from the XSP. Then I have to listen to it for the entire flight, until that's replaced with "Going Home Now". If you stick with the video (I know, it's boring - except to me - ahem) you'll see where it wants to go home just short of a mile but I cancel the Go Home, turn around, and keep going.

I didn't do ANY editing on this video (mainly because I don't know how . . .), and it is the first one like this I've ever done. Editing will come later as I become the next Cecil B. DeMille . . . ;)

Do you have the same video issues at other locations? The thought occurred to me that Slide Mountain, which is in direct line of sight and only about 7 miles from your location, has at least a dozen powerful transmitters on top. I don't know anything about what frequencies they are all on, but I wonder if that could be the source of some of your interference problems?

Do you have the same video issues at other locations? The thought occurred to me that Slide Mountain, which is in direct line of sight and only about 7 miles from your location, has at least a dozen powerful transmitters on top. I don't know anything about what frequencies they are all on, but I wonder if that could be the source of some of your interference problems?

I don't think so. In fact, right next to where I'm flying is McClellan Peak, which has even more radio towers. In fact, we call it "Antenna City" because of everything up there. We ride ATV's up there and it's a maze of relays and transmitters. But I've never looked at it as a problem. Of course, I don't fly from up there (but I'd like to). I would hope seven miles would not cause a problem. Here in Nevada (as you well know), anywhere you go you can spot antennas on top of almost every mountain top as you cruise the state.

I guess I shouldn't discount your Slide Mountain comment, but I think it's far enough away to not be a problem. I don't think the frequencies of the state radio system are anywhere near our frequencies.

The video I uploaded to YouTube was the screen shot, and I forgot to start a video from within the pumpkin (duh) so I couldn't compare the two to see if the "video interference" reported by the controller actually shows up on the 'official' video. So, when it warms up a bit I'll head back there and make sure I get two videos.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xander0791