Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Not sure what's going on here, but it's not right.

Tommy Molnar

Reaction score
Out of nowhere I cannot get my maps to load, or even establish my homepoint. Given that the craft is sitting on my desk at the moment, that usually poses no problem.

And, as you can see from this screen shot, I've got Chinese writing where there formerly wasn's any, and it lists meters instead of feet, which it shows on TOP. Wuzzup with this? I don't have the mainland China mapping option enabled either. Screenshot.jpg

A few things I can think of to look at. Do the maps load normally if the X-Star is not connected? If your tablet is wi-fi only, is your connection to the internet good? Are you using iOS? If so, there are compatibility problems reported with the latest iOS 11.2. If that update got pushed to your tablet, you made need to revert back to previous iOS.

For some reason today you don't have enough satellites with it sitting on your desk. Move closer to the window to gain more satellites. This usually fixes that problem for me.

A few things I can think of to look at. Do the maps load normally if the X-Star is not connected? If your tablet is wi-fi only, is your connection to the internet good? Are you using iOS? If so, there are compatibility problems reported with the latest iOS 11.2. If that update got pushed to your tablet, you made need to revert back to previous iOS.

Yes, I can usually download maps with just the Tab A by itself. Tablet IS WiFi only, but it was sitting about two feet from the Linksys WiFi router so the signal isn't the problem. I'm an Android kinda guy so it isn't the Apple thing.

I'm currently charging everything so there will not be a power issue (which I don't think is the issue anyway, but just to be safe . . . ).

What I usually do is create a hot spot with my phone where I'm flying, hook up the Tab tab that way - and life is usually good.

But these Chinese characters at the bottom of the screen still perplex me. :eek:

Thanks for your ideas.

For some reason today you don't have enough satellites with it sitting on your desk. Move closer to the window to gain more satellites. This usually fixes that problem for me.

Never thought of that, since the maps aren't dependent on satellites - or are they? Maybe I should walk outside and try this (even though it's barely 20° the moment - gasp!).

From my couch to my dinning room table is maybe 15 feet. If I sit at the dinning room table I can get full maps and use the offline mission planner but if I start up my tablet on the couch all I get is a blank world map and chinese writing.
Not sure if thats your problem but sure sounds like it.

Reactions: Mr $panky
I took the craft out to my current fave spot to fly. All batteries charged up. Took it out to about 2500 feet and 150 ft elevation(after hearing that there was video interference - though none is present - that I can detect). Small bits of pixilation show near the bottom of the screen but when I played the video back, somehow it got re-set to 4K stuff. I can't show that on my home computer. And the maps would not show up. I had a hot spot made with my phone and hooked up Google Maps. Maps show up on my Tab (even the two that I have on download for later use). But I can't pull them into Starlink.

Once home, I reset the video to 1080 @ 30fps and walked around the house to make a test vid. Vid is fine but the lag is incredible! I've never seen it this bad. Just sitting on the desk, when I move the gimbal roller, the gimbal moves quickly, and the indicator in Starlink moves with it, but the video on my screen is seconds and seconds behind! And the screen goes totally pixilated - see attachment. It's a screen shot of what happens when I move the camera with the roller. Screenshot002.jpg

Try it at 60 FPS. Also, maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the star link app. Maybe it's corrupted.

Try it at 60 FPS. Also, maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the star link app. Maybe it's corrupted.

60 hasn't worked for me. But, I think I will re-download Starlink. I did once already when I updated the firmware - an event I'm starting to wish I hadn't done. Everything worked fine before I did it, though there's some things I really like about the upgrade (like the rocket like take off!).

Allllll right! I just re-downloaded Starlink and the first thing I noticed is that Google Maps is in the lower left corner of the Starlink screen. No Chinese scribble. Wifey is announcing that dinner is ready - AND GETTING COLD! So, I'll check the connections and everything else after I wolf down this scrumptious repast. I'll let you's know. Thanks for the tips.

Reactions: dronechimp
Allllll right! I just re-downloaded Starlink and the first thing I noticed is that Google Maps is in the lower left corner of the Starlink screen. No Chinese scribble. Wifey is announcing that dinner is ready - AND GETTING COLD! So, I'll check the connections and everything else after I wolf down this scrumptious repast. I'll let you's know. Thanks for the tips.
Have a good dinner,all you guest's join up.learn what not to do.

Have a good dinner,all you guest's join up.learn what not to do.

Ha!

So I got done with dinner, ran back to the office and plugged all the stuff in. Woo Hoo! :D

Looks like everything is good to go. Camera goes up and down as it should. Almost no lag. Video screen follows the camera with very little lag. Just like it used to operate. Maps showed up - just like they used to. I reset the videos to 1080 @ 30 fps and so far, everything seems to be as it (or they) should. Now, to get back out to my fave launch site and see if it really IS good to go. I think the deleting and re-downloading the Starlink app did the trick. Thanks for the suggestion xspwhite. Wifey always tells me to delete and re-instal anything that all of a sudden doesn't work. I hate it when she's right, so it's much better THIS time because the suggestion came from a fellow pilot - ;)

Reactions: dronechimp
Allllll right! I just re-downloaded Starlink and the first thing I noticed is that Google Maps is in the lower left corner of the Starlink screen. No Chinese scribble..

Yesterday I was able to head to my fave flying site and give this all a try. A couple of things happened.

No maps. This is really bugging me. Could NOT get the maps to port over from Google Maps, even with the pumpkin WiFi'd to my cell phone. Oh well, I take off anyway. Right away I get that little voice telling me there's video interference - which is B.S. So far, no pixilation and the video is fine. This turned out to be my longest flight EVER (one way). The top of the screen shows 1.3 miles! I'm still getting good video - until the color goes away and I chicken out and hit the "Return to Home" button. As the bird turns to head back the video quality goes south quick. It just washed out. I turned the video off and shot some pics, which weren't all that bad. Then the Chinese characters show up down on the lower left (where the maps should be - but aren't). Grrrr. Now I'm getting even more aggravated because I thought I'd fixed this by re-installing Starlink.

I also tried videoing in both 30 fps (which always works) and 60 fps (which never works - just jerks along). I gave the memory chip to my wife who put it in her computer - and it shows 60 fps just fine. This day is quickly going south. Buying a new computer is not in the plans for some time (and wifey won't trade - ha).

I guess my biggest complaint about all this is the inability to get the maps to show up, and the return of the Chinese characters in the lower left of the Starlink screen.

The screen shot is of my 1.3 mile trip - with no maps - and Chinese characters that look like watermarks. Does anyone else get this? It looks like they (the 'watermarks') are winking at me, as if to say "You're screwed buddy"! :eek:
Screenshot_2017-12-13-06-56-44.png

The previous pic is what I get when I pick satellite view. THIS pic is what I get when I pick hybrid view. o_OScreenshot_2017-12-13-07-45-47.pngAnd note the Chinese characters at the lower right. And meters too, even though I have feet and miles at the top.

How about this?

Learn how to connect to GPS on the Samsung Galaxy Tab A.

1. From any Home screen, tap Apps.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Scroll to 'Personal,' then tap Privacy.
  4. Tap Location.
  5. If necessary, slide the Location Switch right to the ON position, then tap Agree.
  6. Tap Locating method.
  7. Select desired locating method:
    • GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile networks
    • Wi-Fi and mobile networks
    • GPS only

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d