Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

North Avenue Beach/Lake Michigan

slvervper99

Reaction score
I've been flying for over a year and have been wanting to fly over Lake Michigan to get a video of the lake and part of the Chicago Skyline....finally did it. Oh yeah, the orange bird was out as far as 700 ft from the shore, I suppose it doesn't matter if I was 100 foot or 1 mile from the shore because once it drops in the water, it wouldn't be retrievable :D. I'm glad the flight was uneventful. Oh yeah, it was a cloudy morning and some of the fog/clouds hung around even at 10 am.

Reactions: KentA
Nice, I am hoping to get out in the next few days to do almost the same thing but I will be flying over Lake Superior. These are those moments when you let out a big Oh boy it came back when it lands. I been flying for 4 years and still don't like flying over water. :)

Nice, I am hoping to get out in the next few days to do almost the same thing but I will be flying over Lake Superior. These are those moments when you let out a big Oh boy it came back when it lands. I been flying for 4 years and still don't like flying over water. :)
Yeah, I agree when flying over water. You always have that uneasy feeling. :D

Nice video! Doesn’t Chicago have an ordinance against drones in town? :)
That is so true. Over ocean flying is always a queasy time, I never can relax. You folks go farther out than I do, but I guess it doesn’t matter. Even though there’s no trees of obstructions, if you have a sudden battery drop, it’s probably over. Happened to me once, barely made it back, but I was really close to shore...

Nice video! Doesn’t Chicago have an ordinance against drones in town? :)
That is so true. Over ocean flying is always a queasy time, I never can relax. You folks go farther out than I do, but I guess it doesn’t matter. Even though there’s no trees of obstructions, if you have a sudden battery drop, it’s probably over. Happened to me once, barely made it back, but I was really close to shore...
Yes. Chicago have pretty intense drone rules, but I believe the beach is an exemption, the only reason I thought flying the drone over the beach was ok is because I tried flying the drone while I was near the Buckingham Fountain at the Millennium Park, and I was told by the park police that I cannot fly while in the park but I was told I can go across the street and fly the drone which is basically the beach area :D

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
This thread cheers me. I've not purchased a drone yet, but water is very much a part of where I live. The thought of flying over water thrills me and terrifies me, and seeing all of you with more experience sharing the same concern is somehow comforting. And seeing you move past the fear instills some confidence for where I will eventually get to.

Go for it! Practice flying, don’t get overconfident. Educate yourself on all the ways things can go south, and it’s perfectly safe. Total battery management is certainly a key area. Lots of great info on this forum...

This thread cheers me. I've not purchased a drone yet, but water is very much a part of where I live. The thought of flying over water thrills me and terrifies me, and seeing all of you with more experience sharing the same concern is somehow comforting. And seeing you move past the fear instills some confidence for where I will eventually get to.
Oh, your gonna love it. I feel like a kid in a candy store every time I fly. I just wished that the good sites are close to my home but they are not; not to mention the flying restrictions that exist.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dandandan