Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Noob To Part 107 sUAS Pilot -- Can it been done? -- The Gold Seal Way

RJ_Make

Reaction score
I would like to use this thread to report on my "Noob to Part 107 sUAS Pilot" journey. I'm starting the Gold Seal Remote Pilot Ground School today in the hopes I can learn what I need to know in order to achieve my Part 107 certification. I currently know NOTHING, and quite frankly I'm a little concerned :oops:

Wish me luck guys! :eek:

I'm doing a 3 part video series on the journey, below is part 1.

cc: PhantomPilots

Update #1:

Well guys,..I completed my first week of study (Sunday through Sunday) and WOW, my head is spinning like a top! :eek: In my first week I've completed my first 'pass' of all the video's and quizzes. With the exception of one day, and because I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, I studied at least an hour a day.

There is a LOT of information presented and WILL require multiple, slow, methodical passes though it to learn the principles and knowledge being taught. I'm not talking just memorizing the information, but really getting a good understanding of it.

In my first pass through, I concentrated on watching the video's, working through the flash cards and taking the quizzes. In my second pass (this week), I'm going to concentrate on reviewing the supplemental information for each lesson, and practicing reading Sectionals, METAR's (not a dinosaur after all, who knew :p ), TAF's and Weather Maps. Gold Seal has added a lot of supplemental information to each module/lesson. The supplements seemed to be comprised of both excerpts from the FAA and original documents produced by Gold Seal.

I've had several question during my first pass, and each time Gold Seal replied extremely fast.

My test date has been set for the 21st of Nov. So I should have the time needed to get my head around all the concepts and information that is required of me from the FAA. I won't know until test day if the information presented by Gold Seal is indeed what will be on the test. :D

Assume this material & video is proprietary and as such cannot be privately shared in any way. How do they control that? What is to stop someone taking the course and sharing it with 10 friends who split the fee?

Assume this material & video is proprietary and as such cannot be privately shared in any way. How do they control that? What is to stop someone taking the course and sharing it with 10 friends who split the fee?

I have no idea, didn't even cross my mind. I do know the certificate can only have one name on it.

Curious as to your outcome and experience in the end. I am looking at Remote Pilot 101 which is $99 with lifetime access for when you test again in three years. Taught by a certified pilot and FAA instructor. There are certainly others as well and while what I have read makes me wonder that the FAA has made this aspect of commercial drone license very hard and way beyond what is needed to fly commercially for hire to limit all those that would otherwise get it for the fun of it???? Not sure yet. Maybe I am a simpleton in my assessment of this required FAA testing for license.

I mean, most applications used by a commercial drone pilot still maintains what a non-commercial pilot would follow from what I see. To aerial film for real estate; agriculture; building inspections (roof tops and smoke stack as well as silo inspections); SAR; all to me are quite simple and a common sense approach that a test that does not seem or a need to be so complicated like that of a true pilot of a manned aircraft.

Like I said, not knocking the FAA for I believe there needs to be some rules but to what extent and the extent of the sample questions I have seen lends more to me you could be an actual pilot! But then again like I stated, it keeps the fly by night folks away for they just see it as way too complicated.

My main goal for seeking Part 107 is simply maybe starting a side business for the above I listed. Not rocket science and if you have a business license; insurance to run it for liability; and file the proper forms with commerce/state; then why is this so complicated??? Like I said..............I may be missing the mark here but I truly think most applications in the tune of 99% of what a commercial drone operator would be doing falls within the hobby aspect other than being a legally insured business that files taxes which is all the government cares about in the end anyway.

Michael,
I would say the only aspect of what I've learned so far that seems a bit unnecessary is leaning how to interpret METAR's and TAF's. The only application I can see the benefit is if your only source for this information is through the ASOS/AWOS/AWSS systems.

Part 107 certificate holders need to retest every 24 months. I'm really hoping the follow up testing can be accomplished on-line rather then it costing 150.00 for onsite proctor testing.

I can tell you that there is NO POSSIBLE WAY I would stand a chance of passing this test without (in my case Gold Seal) help. So if you decide to move forward I urge you to take a training course first. I can only vouch for Gold Seal's Online Ground School. With a few minor exceptions, their entire learning system is fantastic, well thought out and very effective.

Let me know if you decide to move forward with your Part 107.

EDIT:
Oh and I can give you a $25.00 discount code for Gold Seal's course.

Reactions: Michael
Michael,
I would say the only aspect of what I've learned so far that seems a bit unnecessary is leaning how to interpret METAR's and TAF's. The only application I can see the benefit is if your only source for this information is through the ASOS/AWOS/AWSS systems.

Part 107 certificate holders need to retest every 24 months. I'm really hoping the follow up testing can be accomplished on-line rather then it costing 150.00 for onsite proctor testing.

I can tell you that there is NO POSSIBLE WAY I would stand a chance of passing this test without (in my case Gold Seal) help. So if you decide to move forward I urge you to take a training course first. I can only vouch for Gold Seal's Online Ground School. With a few minor exceptions, their entire learning system is fantastic, well thought out and very effective.

Let me know if you decide to move forward with your Part 107.

EDIT:
Oh and I can give you a $25.00 discount code for Gold Seal's course.

Will do my friend! Thanks.

Update #2

My Review (Part 2 of 3) of Gold Seal's Remote Pilot Ground School.

cc: PhantomPilots

RJ thanks for sharing your experience --I think I will go with them too. I wonder though....how long does the course take, have they given you any idea?

RJ thanks for sharing your experience --I think I will go with them too. I wonder though....how long does the course take, have they given you any idea?

It took me a full week to make it though my first pass of the material. I put in at least an hour each day. If you're not a noob like I was, you will probably make it thought your first pass quicker. I continue to move through each lesson, each quiz, each test over and over again.

I recently passed the final exam with a 100%, but there are still area's I'm a little 'shaky' on. So I will continue to study the lessons until the 20th.. :eek:

Let me know what you think about the course. Out of the 2 I used, Gold Seal's if by far superior IMO, but I'd like to here what you think.

It took me a full week to make it though my first pass of the material. I put in at least an hour each day. If you're not a noob like I was, you will probably make it thought your first pass quicker. I continue to move through each lesson, each quiz, each test over and over again.

I recently passed the final exam with a 100%, but there are still area's I'm a little 'shaky' on. So I will continue to study the lessons until the 20th.. :eek:

Let me know what you think about the course. Out of the 2 I used, Gold Seal's if by far superior IMO, but I'd like to here what you think.

I will report back, I am going to sign up on Monday and begin....Bill

Update #3:

Well guys, it's done, and Russ was correct. Gold Seal can indeed get a complete noob, knowing nothing, ready and able to pass the Part 107 exam. I passed with a score of 97% YEAH!!!!. I missed 2 questions, one of which was just a stupid error I think, and the other I had not seen the question before.

The entire test almost didn't happen yesterday, it was touch and go there for a while. I'll get into that when I upload the video this week end.

That's great news RJ! I decided to go with remote pilot 101 (A bit cheaper by over half) and I test next Tuesday the 29th. Congratulations!

I too opted for RemotePilot101 captbill. So far I have enjoyed the layout and how Jason put it together with lifetime access and updates. I have finished the course and need to take the RP101 final test then schedule my Part 107 test! Hope to just pass but anything in the 90's would be great!

Well this video wraps it all up. The last episode in the noob to sUAS pilot series.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials