Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Non-GPS and Strobe

minerrick

Reaction score
So being new to the whole drone flying thing.... I watch all the cool videos of the drones flying all over the place using their GPS for all the fancy flight patterns it can do. It didn't even occur to me that where I would be flying (in deep remote canyons) that the Evo wouldn't be able to get a satellite fix. If I thought about it for a second, it would have been a big DUH.... So I have some questions for you pros:

1. Is there a different strategy in flying when you are flying without GPS with lots of obsticles near by (trees, rock cliffs, etc) ? It truly freaks me out when it disappears from my visual sight. I guess I will get used to it, eh? Should I turn off the GPS mode, because in one instance I was fighting it's control- could that have been the GPS finally getting a fix and it deciding that where it got the fix was "home"- even though it was 150 feet in the air? It was acting freaky and not responding to my controls, and I finally got control of it.

2. The first thing that freaked me out was, even though the drone was "within sight", it wasn't. Because it blends in with the trees and mountainside behind it. The drone can literally be 150 feet away from me, and I cannot see it due to the complex background behind it (I am flying low, and not high in the sky). So I would assume that Autel or some aftermarket outfit offers a bright strobe that I can use? And hopefully I won't need to be an electrical engineer to be able to install it?

I like the Firehouse technology arc cree strobes, i can see out to 1500 ft during the day, i have mounted 2 of them on my XSP. Check some of the threads for strobe mountings, happy flying!

Ok, how many strobes and where do you put them for best visibility?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skygod34