Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Newbie Guide to EVO 2

To the newbie owners of the EVO 2, what are some learnings you have had a pilot you wish you knew when you started flying the EVO 2?

I have kept a running post of my findings for the EVO II 6K, pros and cons that I think you will find helpful. Since I came from the DJI world a lot of the information is comparing the Autel ecosystem to the DJI ecosystem. Here is the post.

The E2P has lots of useful camera settings. Depending upon what you are using with the controller (iPhone, tablet, Smart Controller, etc.) you may be able to make a screen recording while you fly. I find this very useful when reviewing the drone video to know exactly what settings I was using at what time. This is a learning process. Keeping notes (like a pilot's log) of camera settings also helps.

Ima trying fly my evo2 at 150 200 feet high goin 2.6 miles with over 1 pound of weight do u guys think its going be a problem?
Yes! Flying 150-200 feet high is fine but trying to fly 2.6 miles with the extra weight is going to drain the battery rapidly (not to mention how far you will be from legal "visual line of sight"). Not sure if it will even lift an extra pound. When I overloaded my E2P with ice formation on the blades, I got a battery overheating warning and then a critical warning with immediate landing, straight down. Try lifting the weight first and see how long it can hover over a safe location.

Yes! Flying 150-200 feet high is fine but trying to fly 2.6 miles with the extra weight is going to drain the battery rapidly (not to mention how far you will be from legal "visual line of sight"). Not sure if it will even lift an extra pound. When I overloaded my E2P with ice formation on the blades, I got a battery overheating warning and then a critical warning with immediate landing, straight down. Try lifting the weight first and see how long it can hover over a safe location.

not to mention how far you will be from legal "visual line of sight").
Ty for ur reply but what do u mean
Ty for ur reply what do u mean: ( not to mention how far you will be from legal "visual line of sight"). Im Tryin fly my ev2 drone from point (a) to point (b) which is 1.3 miles to drop over a pound of weight and point (b) back to point (a) is another 1.3 miles do u think it be good?

not to mention how far you will be from legal "visual line of sight").
Ty for ur reply but what do u mean

Ty for ur reply what do u mean: ( not to mention how far you will be from legal "visual line of sight"). Im Tryin fly my ev2 drone from point (a) to point (b) which is 1.3 miles to drop over a pound of weight and point (b) back to point (a) is another 1.3 miles do u think it be good?
Are you in the United States? The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has regulations about how far away an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV, drone) can fly from the operator. The operator must keep the drone within your visual line of sight (without magnification such as binoculars) at all times. You may be able to have line-of-sight spotters along the route that are in constant communication with the operator. You'll have to check the regulations about this, though.

The reason for the visual-line-of-sight rule is so the operator will be aware of any other aircraft, manned or unmanned, in the area. I know, it's a bummer and many folks ignoring that rule. But avoiding a possible collision with a manned aircraft is extremely important. The farthest that I can see my E2P is about 2500 feet. At that distance, if I glance away, it's almost impossible to find it again.

Here's where you can start reading the regulations: https://www.faa.gov/uas

How
Are you in the United States? The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has regulations about how far away an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV, drone) can fly from the operator. The operator must keep the drone within your visual line of sight (without magnification such as binoculars) at all times. You may be able to have line-of-sight spotters along the route that are in constant communication with the operator. You'll have to check the regulations about this, though.

The reason for the visual-line-of-sight rule is so the operator will be aware of any other aircraft, manned or unmanned, in the area. I know, it's a bummer and many folks ignoring that rule. But avoiding a possible collision with a manned aircraft is extremely important. The farthest that I can see my E2P is about 2500 feet. At that distance, if I glance away, it's almost impossible to find it again.

Many how miles can evo2 drove fly up too ??

How

Many how miles can evo2 drove fly up too ??

I soon figured it out that the latest F/W upgrades are better avoided for a few weeks until you read the feedback on how well it performs, and whether or not it solves any actual problem you're experiencing. On the Evo II V1, at least, F/W updates are better installed manually via downloading the .bin file to a PC and transferring via loading it onto a MicroSD in the root section (formatted for ExFat, and cards seems to work best when formatted in the drone).

Something worth doing right out of the box is slowing down the control stick movements around center by using the EXP curves (.25 on yaw, and .35 on the other three is a good starting point), also reducing the Sensitivity back to about 80% on each of the three sliders.

Similarly, set the gimbal pitch control sensitivity to around 65% if you want smooth video. Either the A and B buttons on the back of the controller can be set to snap it 90 degrees up or 180 degrees down with a 2 second press.

Likewise the Obstacle Avoidance can be enabled or disabled on the other button A or B, which is useful when you're launching close to your vehicle and you want to get back to your helipad but OA is preventing you from approaching on return.

Had B&H Photo not bundled a 36" snap-out, 3lb Autel-logo orange nylon Hoodman folding helipad with my Evo II, it's unlikely I'd have spent $70 or more for it initially. But I find it incredibly useful, and likely has saved a tremendous amount of wear and tear from blown grit and dust and probably saved on replacing propellers, too. Mash down the tall grass and brush with your boots until it's level and toss out this pad and you can take off and land almost anywhere. As well with the orange pad you'll be able to see your home point from 1000' away on approach

Last edited:
I thought evo 2 drone can fly anywhere even thru area that has geo fencing???
"Can," yes. "Legally," no. Legal range is limited by "visual line of sight". Bummer, I know :(
Also, just because it doesn't have geo fencing, you should never fly near an airport. Check the "B4UFly" app to see restrictions.
If we disregard these safety restrictions, the FAA will clamp down harder on us, ruining our sport, not to mention, endangering lives.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacqueslambert