Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New User ... Probably Dumb Questions

KOLandscapes

Reaction score
1. How do I toggle between Stills and Video on the controller ? When I first got it I could click the button on the right and it would take the Pic. Something changed and now it only operates in video mode ? I'll be damned if I can figure out how to go back picture mode ?

2. Focusing: In auto mode .. when I touch the screen on the control surface, the crosshair box comes up but the image goes out of focus completely regardless of where I touch on the screen. Won't come back in focus until I turn everything off and start over ? Most frustrating. Thought I could choose what to focus on during flight if I so chose .. No ?

Nobody knows ?!?!
Both of these issues are going to put a serious crimp in what I would like to use the Drone for if I don't find a solution :(

Last edited:
1. How do I toggle between Stills and Video on the controller ? When I first got it I could click the button on the right and it would take the Pic. Something changed and now it only operates in video mode ? I'll be damned if I can figure out how to go back picture mode ?
With the app, assume you are in Camera mode vs. Mission mode from the main explorer screen.
Via the app, on the right hand side of screen, there should be a Red circle for video, White circle for photos, there is a toggle icon below it that switches you from Photo to Video, Video to Photo.
Alternatively, assuming your controller keys have not been reassigned, top left button (by gimbal dial) triggers video, top right triggers photos. Have had occurance where those buttons didnt work for what ever reason so then just used the "soft" buttons via the app screen.

Check your cable connections, also sw/fw versions of controller/aircraft/app.

Contact Autel support.

2. Focusing: In auto mode .. when I touch the screen on the control surface, the crosshair box comes up but the image goes out of focus completely regardless of where I touch on the screen. Won't come back in focus until I turn everything off and start over ? Most frustrating. Thought I could choose what to focus on during flight if I so chose .. No ?
Verify sw/fw of controller, app, etc, contact autel support.

KOLandscapes,

There’s a distinct difference between stupid (dumb) and ignorant. Most of us try to avoid stupid, but we have all been ignorant. I am ignorant about many things in life. Inquiring is the first step to gaining knowledge. I hope the info below helps your situations.

The first question, I think is an easy fix. I can only speak to the SE Control, though. On my SE controller screen, below the red button (either a square or a full red circle depending on which mode your in, video or stills) there is an almost grayed out (light white) icon of a video camera and a still camera, with an arcing arrow. If you tap that button it changes the mode.

Question two I have not had an issue with, but I would think, to avoid having to shut everything down and restart, tap on the map in the upper left to change to the map view and then tap it again to go back to the camera view, might be a solution.

Let me know if these suggestions helped. Now I’m curious and if I experience the question two problem, I’d like to know if I already have the solution.

For issue 2 about focusing, place drone on a completely flat surface and do a Gimbal calibration, if this does not fix your issue contact Autel support and PRAY for them to answer and help you.

With the app, assume you are in Camera mode vs. Mission mode from the main explorer screen.
Via the app, on the right hand side of screen, there should be a Red circle for video, White circle for photos, there is a toggle icon below it that switches you from Photo to Video, Video to Photo.
Alternatively, assuming your controller keys have not been reassigned, top left button (by gimbal dial) triggers video, top right triggers photos. Have had occurrence where those buttons didn't work for whatever reason so then just used the "soft" buttons via the app screen.

Check your cable connections, also sw/fw versions of controller/aircraft/app.

Contact Autel support.

Verify sw/fw of controller, app, etc, contact autel support.
Hey ... Thank you on the Photo / Video issue 👍 Granted I'm not completely familiar with the controller yet. I did see that and must of hit it inadvertently for that matter as I've been in Video mode. Did toggle it last time and had the AhHa moment 🥲

Still not sure on the Focus thing though. Didn't even bother to futs with that last time out relying on Autofocus. When you refer to sw/fw .. that would be ?

Thank you !!

Reactions: gschulzuio
For issue 2 about focusing, place drone on a completely flat surface and do a Gimbal calibration, if this does not fix your issue contact Autel support and PRAY for them to answer and help you.
Hmm ... I think I did that but I'll give it another shot. Was a bit tied up with issue #1 last time out which fortunately was solved. Just let Autofocus. do its thing.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials