Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New to drones and need help picking one out

fadetoblack72

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at dji drones and someone said I should come over here too.
I’m looking for a drone to take video with and just to fly around. I’d like collision sensors Down, right, and left, and I’d like auto tracking and gps but that’s not needed. I’m looking to spend under 400 with the controller included.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thank you!

I’ve been looking at dji drones and someone said I should come over here too.
I’m looking for a drone to take video with and just to fly around. I’d like collision sensors Down, right, and left, and I’d like auto tracking and gps but that’s not needed. I’m looking to spend under 400 with the controller included.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thank you!
Hi fade, IMO you will not find a high quality drone for less than $400. A drone with obstacle avoidance will cost a lot more. A nice low cost starter drone for $314 is the Hubsan Mini SE. You should also consider the $299 DJI Mini SE. IMO the best high quality first drone for new drone pilots is the DJI Mini 2.

Regards,
Richard

Last edited:
You can also find a good, used drone on the classifieds here, DJI or eBay for that amount. I think it would be better than buying a lower-quality drone with fewer features. A Mavic air would be a good starter drone. It has a 4k camera and sensors. Many people buy drones and stop flying after a few times and put the drone for sale. Many want to upgrade to the latest technology. Check around and look for a good deal.

Reactions: gschulzuio
You can also find a good, used drone on the classifieds here, DJI or eBay for that amount. I think it would be better than buying a lower-quality drone with fewer features. A Mavic air would be a good starter drone. It has a 4k camera and sensors. Many people buy drones and stop flying after a few times and put the drone for sale. Many want to upgrade to the latest technology. Check around and look for a good deal.
agreed. you probably meant the mavic air 2 which is a solid drone for a beginner.

agreed. you probably meant the mavic air 2 which is a solid drone for a beginner.
The problem is that he wants to spend under $400. That would be a bargain as a first drone for the Mavic air 2 but with patience can be found. I own a Mavic air and is a decent drone and for a first drone it would be good. The Mavic air fly more combo can be find for $300 or less in good condition. Like always...is all about the budget.

Echoing what others have said, for $400 or less and with what you want, you are going to have to spend some time on ebay, FB marketplace and elsewhere to find a good used or refurbed deal on a DJI Mavic Air, or even a Mavic Pro Plat or similar. The deals are out there, you have to trade time for cost savings.

Reactions: 30plusretlaw
If you end up considering a used drone made by DJI or Autel, be aware that you may be buying someone else's problems. Get as much information and photo/video examples as possible before sending your money. My last used video camera turned out to have an expensive problem. I spent the additional bucks to have it fixed and use it regularly now. But, it ended up costing a lot more than the purchase price.

If you end up considering a used drone made by DJI or Autel, be aware that you may be buying someone else's problems. Get as much information and photo/video examples as possible before sending your money. My last used video camera turned out to have an expensive problem. I spent the additional bucks to have it fixed and use it regularly now. But, it ended up costing a lot more than the purchase price.
Good point, I would go to the classified sections of Autel and Dji and see if I can find one there, and by the user's name you can find out via his posts if anything is bad with the drone. I also would like to see a video of the drone flying and the video it took with a timestamp if possible. Drones are like motorcycles, many buy them a few really use them. So finding a barely use one, in good condition is possible.

Good point, I would go to the classified sections of Autel and Dji and see if I can find one there, and by the user's name you can find out via his posts if anything is bad with the drone. I also would like to see a video of the drone flying and the video it took with a timestamp if possible. Drones are like motorcycles, many buy them a few really use them. So finding a barely use one, in good condition is possible.
Yup, all good points, dont be afraid to ask the seller how many flights, how many hours, have they crashed it, has the aircraft crashed itself, if so, when, what was done for repair, can they show you flight logs, what maintenance have they done and when. Concur, have they show a video of it flying and when, also does the gimbal and camera work. I also ask why are they selling, even if they have it listed. Have found unless somebody is trying to hide something or some other game, they are generally good at answer fair questions from serious buyers. Good luck.

If you buy a Hubsan drone it's a crap shoot. I bought a zino mini pro and the first one flew where it wanted and crashed. The 2nd one flew fine for a week or so and then it took off lol... I mainly stick to Autel or Dji.

Any of these DJI drones are good. I picked up a Mini 2 a couple years back. Pretty impressive what it can do. Be warned though, it seems there’s more places you can’t use a drone than can.

Any of these DJI drones are good. I picked up a Mini 2 a couple years back. Pretty impressive what it can do. Be warned though, it seems there’s more places you can’t use a drone than can.
Yes the DJI Geo fencing is a problem. Every time 45 was at Marolago, my DJI drone will take off and land right away automatically even when I was around 50 miles from his compound. I just wanted to practice moves in my backyard and couldn’t.

Yes the DJI Geo fencing is a problem. Every time 45 was at Marolago, my DJI drone will take off and land right away automatically even when I was around 50 miles from his compound. I just wanted to practice moves in my backyard and couldn’t.
All you need for DJI's is a custom unlock code, they are free, just takes a few minutes to setup, can apply to multiple aircraft. Then when you want to fly, simply go to Unlocking License, select the applicable unlock code, check two boxes (you wont be a knucklehead or do anything dumb), click ok, and away you go. Otoh, its easier with Autel as no geofence.

Actually at least in the US there are more open airspace where you can fly vs. where you cant. Granted, the airspace may be open however the ground/location may restrict take offs and landing. Even 44809 rec flyers can get access via LAANC to controlled airspace to published altitude limits (currently except at night). Using apps like B4UFLY to get a LAANC authorization has gotten very fast and easy as well. Otoh, if you are 107, you can also get authorizations even in some NFZs or "0" areas, just takes a bit of planning and time, granted not as easy as simply flying just flying where you want when you want.

All you need for DJI's is a custom unlock code, they are free, just takes a few minutes to setup, can apply to multiple aircraft. Then when you want to fly, simply go to Unlocking License, select the applicable unlock code, check two boxes (you wont be a knucklehead or do anything dumb), click ok, and away you go. Otoh, its easier with Autel as no geofence.
Thanks for the info. I downloaded Aloft yesterday and notice it have a tab for DJI drones.

Thanks for the info. I downloaded Aloft yesterday and notice it have a tab for DJI drones.
No worries, B4UFLY is now powered by aloft which makes things a lot easier for getting LAANC authorizations in controlled airspace. There are also some areas where you can request continuing coordination (e.g. request above pub alt or in NFZ). You can then use your LAANC (or dronezone 107.41 coa) to request DJI unlock (regular or custom). I use custom unlocks as it takes a few minutes to setup, then on a longer term basis, its quick to simply unlock a geo area out in the field where you may not have internet.

Here's link to DJI unlock site, you can request custom unlock (e.g. good for several months) or adhoc (e.g. one off short duration).

Some tips: Have a LAANC authorization as a PDF you can attach as a document, or, if you have any dronezone 107.41 coas, attach those. Couple other tips keep your radius in meters under 29km, and alt below 120-121. If you get a rejected simply resubmit with a smaller radius and experiment around. Also when asked for your FC # that is not the SN# of aircraft or controller, rather the flight controller number which you can find in the about/more info section of the app.

Btw, one other tip, there are some enhanced DJI warning zones that are outside of controlled airspace, they tend to be extended out from runways. B4UFLY as well as UAVforecast among other apps will show these to you. Sometimes it helps to have an custom unlock that also covers those areas as well.

Yeh its a PITA with DJI and geo fence, otoh, they do have a decent method to unlock geo areas.

Good luck.

I am using the dji mini 2. For me, the video quality of this camera is its most impressive feature. A 12MP camera for photos along with a 4K video camera shooting at 30fps makes this tiny machine an impressive addition to any videographer's arsenal. Finally, this drone is easy for beginners to learn how to control quickly. I think for the best indoor drones you can find on the market and examined some important features like flight time, speed, dimensions, and weight.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy