Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New firmware update 2.3.0: something goes wrong?

lukappaseidue

Reaction score
Hi guys,
watch this video

It seems that the guy has an issue with very low RTH speed, causing the landing on the sea.
I suggest to safely test this: Hit RTH Button and check the RTH speed... with drone not to far from you and NOT IN THE SEA

Last edited:
It's always sad to lose a drone. In this case it was missing common sense paired with inexperience. The common sense part is of course that he flew out over water with 6 minutes battery remaining. The inexperience part is that he didn't know that sensors tend to see ghosts when the sun hits them at certain angles. If he had turned off obstacle avoidance early, he'd have made it easily. This is no special feat of the Evo - my Mavic did that too. Happened to me on my first flight with DJI ;-)

Reactions: davery87
So sorry for the loss, it’s painful... I always watch/read about unfortunate crashes hoping to learn something. It’s a confusing video. Taking off to fly a distance over water with only 13min battery is dicey... It sure looked like if he immediately committed to the closest available ground he could have made it? It seemed like there was too much indecisive battery-burning circling? From my experience, you gotta make a beeline to the nearest ground w/o hesitation...

Hi guys,
watch this video

It seems that the guy has an issue with very low RTH speed, causing the landing on the sea.
I suggest to safely test this: Hit RTH Button and check the RTH speed... with drone not to far from you and NOT IN THE SEA
Could be obstacle avoidance, it’s so darn sensitive may have slowed down its flight during RTH.

Sunlight, ocean? In my case mountain terrain has slowed down my Evo 2. That’s why I always disable obstacle avoidance flying in an area I’m not familiar with. Just set my RTH elevation at 390 ft, let it come home on its own with no false obstacle avoidance alarm slowing down Evo 2.

Paul

Could be obstacle avoidance, it’s so darn sensitive may have slowed down its flight during RTH.

Sunlight, ocean? In my case mountain terrain has slowed down my Evo 2. That’s why I always disable obstacle avoidance flying in an area I’m not familiar with. Just set my RTH elevation at 390 ft, let it come home on its own with no false obstacle avoidance alarm slowing down Evo 2.

Paul
Interesting....I’ve never flown a drone with OA, LOL, so I’m unfamiliar with the issues. To be brutally honest, I’d rather be in charge. Yea, I’ve hit trees a few times, but it makes you a better pilot....

For me everything is fine with the firmware. However, everything is bad with the pilot.
You have to be completely stupid (I don't say another word) to take your device this far, above the sea, to the limit of the battery which will prevent it with certainty from coming back
It is normal that at the end of the battery, the speed is reduced A faster speed will draw more current on the escapes and reduce the chances of returning to good port.
It's a shame for him, but playing with fire, you end up burning.
I hope this will teach him the limits of all things.
I know I can do 800 kms with my car, I will not try to do 900 kms to test the end of the tank!

I have a few questions:
1. manual says we shouldn't fly it over the water. How low is too low? Some say for Mavic it's about 10m, or 10 feet..
2. as I understand on low battery, strong wing the best way to get home is to switch to sport (or ludi.. whatever it's called here :)) mode, and fly it manually. Any quick way of switching? For now I have to go through the menu. What about two buttons at the bottom of remote, can one of them be assigned? Quick OA switch would be nice to have too.

You have to be completely stupid (I don't say another word) to take your device this far, above the sea, to the limit of the battery which will prevent it with certainty from coming back

I have to agree... If my mission isn't finished with 10 minutes of battery time left, I abort and come back for a fresh battery. I ALWAYS want a few minutes of safety buffer. I'd rather buy an extra $200 battery than lose a $1500+ drone.

Every firmware update that I do I go through the entire menu(s) and I check to see if anything has changed, if so I change them back. #2 I then do a hover test for a minute or so. #3 I then take it up 15 feet or so and test the sticks, left, right yaw left yaw right, up, down. #4 I then venture 50 feet high 200 feet out and test RTH. #5 Then when I get a chance to test a few autonomous features I do that.. but at the end of the day,,,all Im doing is to make sure the drone is healthy to fly....

I did the update and did some flying yesterday. RTH was spot on. Drone corrected as it came in...I didn't see it do that before each time. Let hope the app gets released soon.

After seeing the video and watching what this pilot did, all I can say was PILOT ERROR and inexperience, 1 took off with less than 15 mins of battery, 2 did not adjust his RTH height, this would have avoided more battery use than was needed, 3 yes OV should have been turned off, 4 turning off video also would have given him another 3 or 4 mins of flying time.

There is something very strange with the flight as it gets towards the end, that makes me wonder if it was totally pilot error. It seems to me that the bird instead of heading for hime was going in the oposite direction (correct me if I'm wrong) hard to tell but seems like pilot is trying to take over and maybe lost the fight because bird had flow further away, video really is very confusing but I can imagine how confusing the situation was for the pilot, I almost think pilot was responsible for pushing the bird in the wrong direction, of course could be an nth malfunction. im looking at the video and just can't figure out whats going on. I e actually see. a couple of EII rash videos lately, both from the orient showing sketchy circumstances and posted on them with the possibility of them being staged. Twilight zone conspiracy theory. Wouldn't put it past DJI to stage EVO mishaps.o_Oo_Oo_O

There is something very strange with the flight as it gets towards the end, that makes me wonder if it was totally pilot error. It seems to me that the bird instead of heading for hime was going in the oposite direction (correct me if I'm wrong) hard to tell but seems like pilot is trying to take over and maybe lost the fight because bird had flow further away, video really is very confusing but I can imagine how confusing the situation was for the pilot, I almost think pilot was responsible for pushing the bird in the wrong direction, of course could be an nth malfunction. im looking at the video and just can't figure out whats going on. I e actually see. a couple of EII rash videos lately, both from the orient showing sketchy circumstances and posted on them with the possibility of them being staged. Twilight zone conspiracy theory. Wouldn't put it past DJI to stage EVO mishaps.o_Oo_Oo_O
You may be right, but electronics have been known to do erratic things when low on voltage. In the end, it still is his fault for going out in such low battery.

Reactions: mixchief
I can imagine how confusing the situation was for the pilot, I almost think pilot was responsible for pushing the bird in the wrong direction

He panicked. Didn't know sensors would pick up the low sun as an obstacle. He could have saved the drone by switching off obstacle avoidance. I know how that feels, in fact i bet everyone here with more than 50 h on the stick knows how something unforeseen can turn a flight into a fight against battery life. People tend to make mistakes under that kind of pressure. That's why you shouldn't take a drone over water without at least some hours of experience on this particular drone. And you should never do it without a good cushion of battery time. I feel bad for the guy for losing the money. But the way he rants about mechanisms that are the same for all major drone manufacturers makes me want to put him in the 'spoiled kid'-drawer.

Reactions: mixchief
This is the Evo I with “update 1.5.8” that Autel recently released. This would have nothing to do with “update 2.3.0” or the Evo II. Anyway, this is the result of poor piloting skill and critical thinking. I can’t believe how many people fly like this guy, cry about it, blame the drone and expect a replacement. I think I’ll go crash my car into a brick wall now, blame my car and demand the manufacturer supply me with a brand new vehicle. Wow!

Reactions: Highlander1UK
Hi guys,
watch this video

My first guess would have been the RTH speed was set too low. 2nd I never wait for that to come on. I tell it to come back early.

I remember this thread from several months ago and when I watched the video back then I had instilled a certain amount of drone flyin experience but time has passed and now i have instilled a tremendous amount more experience and recognized every mistake made with this fellows drone flying. It's an eye catching experience that I will burn into memory. I learned there are limitations that I will respect and if I ever run into a mishap like this RTH situation I would like it to be a true equipment malfunction and then I can say my flying experience has paid off.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58