Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New Firmware, First Crash Ever...

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Reaction score
So I just couldn't wait for the final version and I made the mistake of using the beta version. Now with no way to roll the firmware back, I am grounding it until there is a final version. The RTH is seriously flawed in my opinion. I flew out a short distance and I started to lose signal (still in LOS), so it decided to autoland in the BLM forest. It told me it had a home point when I took off but now there was no home point. I had to hike into the forest while watching out for bears. After a long search, I was able to recover it by tracking the signal when I got close enough. Prior to the crash, I had attempted to regain control but the sticks were dead. The 90% business is ridiculous. Who has time to think when all I see are trees getting closer & closer. Then they want you to put the left stick in the 90% position for 2 seconds... why not the 100% position as that is where most people will put the left stick when it is lowering itself to its own doom! :D After researching the manual again I confirmed there are no adjustments to the RTH feature other than height. My DJI quads have full control over the RTH feature, something that is sorely missing on the X-Star. Autel is no DJI, that's for sure.

Well, at least yours made it to the ground. So far I have had zero problems with the new FW, I'm really enjoying it. Much damage to the drone?

Nice sound effects and good recovery.
I do believe the beta firmware now allows you to use the pause button to cancel out the RTH but I cannot be sure on that. If you know how to get the log file from the x-star I am sure they would be interested in your crash so if there was a problem they can fix it.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Sorry to see your crash, glad you were able to retrieve. Hopefully she is still airworthy and didn't take any terminal damage.

And the latest version of 2.0 is available now. It will load, only updating the programs that have changed, so you aren't doomed with a bad program.

I've not tried the "pause" button but have read it will cancel RTH. On the screen there's also an area to tap to stop it.

As to the stick override, I was taught how to deplete a battery down to 5-6% by Andrew S. at Autel. He said when the drone tries to land push the left stick upward and hold for 3 seconds. Worked great and allowed me to run my batteries down while hovering nearby. Several times the drone program tried to take control and I was always able to cancel it with the left stick.

Glad you found your Drone!!!

Reactions: mulk777
And the latest version of 2.0 is available now. It will load, only updating the programs that have changed, so you aren't doomed with a bad program.

I've not tried the "pause" button but have read it will cancel RTH. On the screen there's also an area to tap to stop it.

As to the stick override, I was taught how to deplete a battery down to 5-6% by Andrew S. at Autel. He said when the drone tries to land push the left stick upward and hold for 3 seconds. Worked great and allowed me to run my batteries down while hovering nearby. Several times the drone program tried to take control and I was always able to cancel it with the left stick.

Glad you found your Drone!!!
I tried the pause button on screen after pushing up on the left stick all to no avail as it continued landing. According to the manual, it should RTH if it loses signal and if it has no GPS signal it should hover for 10 seconds before auto landing. It didn't wait, it just stopped, warned me it lost signal and landed all within seconds. I don't feel I can trust it now. Other quads I have allow you to take control when it auto lands.

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 4.27.15 PM✨.png

The pause button is on the RC.

I understand the lack of trust issue. Maybe run your battery down to critical level with the drone hovering a few feet off the ground near you and then experiment with different actions to educate yourself as to what actions get the best results?

There is a pause button on screen also for what it's worth. Honestly, I don't get near enough stick time on the ole pumpkin. Ever since I bought my Mavic Pro it has become my goto drone. I am so used to the system they have I can be slow on the Autel. As time allows I will be experimenting with the pumpkin in a clear, wide open location. :D

Reactions: dirkclod
Was just about to do some RTH testing, specifically related to positioning and if it would land on my landing pad and as soon as I walked outside I ran into this.20170815_193936.jpg

There is a pause button on screen also for what it's worth. Honestly, I don't get near enough stick time on the ole pumpkin. Ever since I bought my Mavic Pro it has become my goto drone. I am so used to the system they have I can be slow on the Autel. As time allows I will be experimenting with the pumpkin in a clear, wide open location. :D

Purely innocent question. Why do pilots that already have a drone of whatever model buy another drone of a different model?

Reactions: Tommy Molnar
I would get the Mavic for the portability and storage footprint aspect...but am waiting to see what Autel has up it's sleeves for the future. 5 mile flight distance is cool, but not realistic for hobbyist use IMHO.

I used to build my own quads years ago. Then DJI came out with an affordable (hobby-wise) quad and I started buying them and modifying them to fit my needs. Soon the drone race was on and I wanted to try other brands to see if I was missing out on something good. I liked Yuneec initially but they have their own issues and the firmware seems counterintuitive. I got the Autel last year and while it is similar to a DJI Phantom they have many differences. DJI has distilled the quad magic which has made them the king for the foreseeable future. Someday I will make a video of my Mavic and the pumpkin and show you some of the differences (I have sold all but one of my Phantoms but my old one... can't only fly one at a time, two if you're good! :D).

I got to fly a little tonight and inadvertently ran into a RTH scenario...I guess all the houses and wifi around me really hurt my signal (didn't have the Skyreats on tonight) and I only got out to about .4 miles before I got a video signal warning and 4 seconds later total signal loss and RTH kicked in. She came back to the yard, albeit off target by a good 7 feet. I took off again and noticed a little bit of drift to the left and forward when below ~10 feet but once above ~10 feet it stopped...was very odd. Next time out I am going to re-cal the compass and sticks again and see if it repeats. Might try to send Autel a note about it and submit anything they want to take a look at it.

To OVRSZD's question...I think superior is a little strong of a word here...the camera and gimbal for one thing is not better on the Mavic from what I have seen in videos from a Mavic, but that's just my opinion based on seeing some movement on the gimbal and not very fluid compensation for flight changes. The field of view on the Mavic is 30 degrees less than the x-star, to some that wouldn't matter...just back up a bit. I believe the XSP and Phantom's are better suited in the gimbal department. Removable/modular camera is also more forward thinking on the Autel, you want a 1" sensor or FLIR...just snap it on and go, with DJI you need to buy a whole new drone or disassemble/retrofit it. Flight characteristics I can't comment on as I don't have one to fly but I hear it is rock solid...If Autel doesn't eventually come out with a more compact model I would definitely consider the Mavic.

So I just couldn't wait for the final version and I made the mistake of using the beta version. Now with no way to roll the firmware back, I am grounding it until there is a final version. The RTH is seriously flawed in my opinion. I flew out a short distance and I started to lose signal (still in LOS), so it decided to autoland in the BLM forest. It told me it had a home point when I took off but now there was no home point. I had to hike into the forest while watching out for bears. After a long search, I was able to recover it by tracking the signal when I got close enough. Prior to the crash, I had attempted to regain control but the sticks were dead. The 90% business is ridiculous. Who has time to think when all I see are trees getting closer & closer. Then they want you to put the left stick in the 90% position for 2 seconds... why not the 100% position as that is where most people will put the left stick when it is lowering itself to its own doom! :D After researching the manual again I confirmed there are no adjustments to the RTH feature other than height. My DJI quads have full control over the RTH feature, something that is sorely missing on the X-Star. Autel is no DJI, that's for sure.

Sorry to hear about your crash, thank you shared the video. I know your feeling of being let down... I have had issues with our Phantom 4 Pro flying away during mapping missions, having to go into atti mode from 1700 ft away is hairy. We've gotten bricked by dji in non-existent NFZs, and RTH problems as well.....all because of the DJI mandatory firmware updates and app updates, along with IOS updates, and dji registration updates. I fly commercially and have lost faith in the Phantom 4 Pro. It was working fine until this June. Now we are in update hell...the bird, the RC, all the batteries, DJI Go4 app, Mapping apps, no rollback available...UGH!!! I use my Autel XSP as my go to pic and video taker, with OLD firmware and OLD Starlink app (May 2017) till we can tinker enough with the P4P to get confident again. Thanks for sharing....I may never ever ever "update" the Pumpkin again and count my blessings every time I hit the Autel RC RTH from a mile out and it comes back, with great video signal all the way home.
ARTO-Michigan

Very new at this yet but I was experiencing L.O.S. problems before and after loading 2.0 firmware. What has seemed to fixed my problem was the purchase of a short braided USB cable made for drones. Got mine from Best Buy for about 18 bucks. I had been using a 6 ft. USB which was not shielded and I think it may have been acting as a antenna picking up lots of interference.

Purely innocent question. Why do pilots that already have a drone of whatever model buy another drone of a different model?
I have, and am currently rebuilding a DJI P3S. Lovely drone. I crashed it one too many times and did major damage. I generally use it everyday for work. So, I have been tempted with the autel since it came out, and I decided I needed a backup drone.

Well, as TJ said here, and I have said elsewhere, this is a great drone...but it doesn't fly like DJI. The build quality is better tho. I crashed mine when it went into atti mode twice and no harm, no foul. The DJI would have smashed the props and the camera I assure you.

So, now I have one of both. I adore both. For my work, I think the DJI is a better fit as it is much quicker to get in the air and put away when finished. I flew the XSP last night and had an enjoyable time. RTH the thing landed twice within 4 feet of takeoff. The DJI could never be that precise.

There are pluses and minuses for both. But convenience is the ultimate deciding factor for me, and that means the DJI right now. Though the XSP is a VERY close 2nd.

Thanks for the comparisons Squirrel!...question, how is the PS3 faster to get in the air and put away, if you could elaborate. The props are screw on like the XSP correct? Or is it boot up and shut down time?

There will be a beta update (ideally) next week that will fix the waypoint elevation, auto-takeoff (bad sensor) and gimbal snap.

There is 1 issues after that, the gimbal horizon which is being fixed and will come soon, likely as a release candidate.

Release candidate is expected to be the last release before public and if there are no critical issues reported then the RC will move to public 1-2 weeks after it is published.

The date for the RC is pending the horizon fix (ETA = TBD).

That pop off camera module leaves unlimited possibilities ........
Imagine the LED lighting platform that could be designed and use the camera mount for power.
UFO sightings would renew for sure:):eek::)

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials