Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Mapping software choices.

Liver

Reaction score
I would like to map my property for fun. I think it would be neat to get a 3D image of it from the air.
I have an Autel drone that (I believe) can export in PIX4D. I looked it up, the actual PIX4D, and its expensive and with a monthly fee. I am not saying its not worth it for a professional. For me? I’ll probably do one or so a year and it’ll be for my property.

Any other options? Preferably free and that can run on OSX? Or way less is cost.

I am looking for personal recommendations if you have them.

boa tarde,
experimente uma versão provisória, 15 dias, de ulização.
por exemplo 3DSurvey

I would like to map my property for fun. I think it would be neat to get a 3D image of it from the air.
I have an Autel drone that (I believe) can export in PIX4D. I looked it up, the actual PIX4D, and its expensive and with a monthly fee. I am not saying its not worth it for a professional. For me? I’ll probably do one or so a year and it’ll be for my property.

Any other options? Preferably free and that can run on OSX? Or way less is cost.

I am looking for personal recommendations if you have them.

Like @Dave Pitman said, Maps Made Easy is a good choice. Unless things have changed, they have a trial period where I think you can process 3 maps for free. Read up on their recommendations on how to shoot your photos. I think they recommend a "reference photo" (my words) from your take-off point to help them georeference things more accurately.

I hear good things about RealityCapture. They excel at 3D although I'm thinking of using them for some 2D projects. Here's an intro video:
. All of these will require you to do some homework. Best way to learn is to try and fail then try again. You'll get the hang of it in no time. Good luck!

Reactions: Dave Pitman
I hear good things about RealityCapture. They excel at 3D although I'm thinking of using them for some 2D projects.
RC seems like a great app and does have a good rep for 3D model creation. I tried it about a year ago and it kept crashing on a project that my PC had no problem running in Metashape, so I move on. They have since been purchased by a bigger fish. I'll have to check them out again.

Their "pay as you go" model is especially good for those getting started.

Maps Made Easy is a pretty good service, I've used them for a decent number of maps now.
WebODM/ODM is also pretty great, although, you need to get your hands dirtier with that for sure.
Also, Metashape by Agisoft is within reach, as long as you don't go for the Pro version.
Out of all of them, I've had the best resolution/results with Metashape, but it has also taken the longest. Maps Mad Easy is probably the fastest, and WebODM is absolutely the cheapest, and still the one I end up tinkering around the most with.

Maps Made Easy is a pretty good service, I've used them for a decent number of maps now.
WebODM/ODM is also pretty great, although, you need to get your hands dirtier with that for sure.
Also, Metashape by Agisoft is within reach, as long as you don't go for the Pro version.
Out of all of them, I've had the best resolution/results with Metashape, but it has also taken the longest. Maps Mad Easy is probably the fastest, and WebODM is absolutely the cheapest, and still the one I end up tinkering around the most with.
Note that if you are on Windows, there is now a "native" version of ODM (UI & Command line) that does not require docker containers and the PITA install of the past. With the new native command line version of ODM you simply install python 3.10.4 (unless its installed, you can get it here), then get and install the ODM_Setup.exe from here, and ODM command line version 2.8.3 is ready to be used. Granted unless you install the UI/GUI version, this is just for the command line version.

Is the following more complicated than using a UI/GUI version or other tools? Probably, otoh, once you have things setup how you want them, its easy to have a template command to reuse. There are also some FB groups and forums that have lots of info on not only ODM/WebODM, also on the other tools e.g. Metashape, DD (DroneDeploy), Reality Capture, Maps Made Easy, etc...

Here is a sample ODM command line to experiment with:

run --project-path <your odm path>\odm --orthophoto-png --dtm --dsm --sfm-algorithm triangulation --orthophoto-resolution 2 --ignore-gsd --pc-quality high --smrf-scalar 1.5 --smrf-slope 0.5 --smrf-threshold 2 --smrf-window 15 --rerun-all --optimize-disk-space <project folder name>

Note: replace <your odm path> with something like C:\Users\xxx\desktop
Note: replace <project folder name> with something like odmtest1
Note: in the project folder e.g. odmtest1 create a folder called images that has your images, or, use appropriate commands to specify where the images are located
Note: if you want to skip 3D model add the following option: --skip-3dmodel

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonhenkelman