Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Magnetic Interference

WhoDatRPIC

Reaction score
I've only flown my XSP on four separate occasions, but I believe I'm getting more instances of magnetic interference each time I fly....the last time being so annoying that I didn't even make it through one battery!!! The first three times I flew at a very open spot at a local park, and the last time at a soccer field at a local high school. I don't see any power lines or cell towers close by. I guess I need to try another spot, but I want something very open, since I'm so new at this, and I'm having a difficult time finding places close by. The app says my firmware is up to date.

Just curious if it's operator error or if anyone else has had similar issues or can tell me what else I need to check or do.

Thanks!!!

Are you having magnetic interference or is it video disconnect? Magnetic interference could mean you need to do a compass calibration. If it is video disconnect watch this video it might help.
In the video he shows how to take the camera off and check for dirt and such. This might even help with magnetic interference. I can't hurt thats for sure. Just make sure you power off before removing the camera.

I take it you are not running the new Beta firmware? This might be another option for you to try.

Reactions: WhoDatRPIC
I'll have to fly it again to be sure about the video disconnect. I think I did see that at least once, but when I look at the remote's display it says magnetic interference. I'll definitely watch the video and remove the camera and inspect, just to be sure. I was under the impression that compass calibrations weren't necessary because since I'm running the beta firmware? Is that incorrect?

Are all electrical lines above ground where you are? Does it tell you magnetic interference before you take off or only once you are in the air?

Are all electrical lines above ground where you are? Does it tell you magnetic interference before you take off or only once you are in the air?
I'm pretty sure both places have above ground power lines, and everything seems normal before flight. Sometimes it takes a minute or two to get the alerts, sometimes a bit longer. Seems to do it with all four batteries as well.

They claim you only need to do it once with the beta but they have also said it will not hurt if you need to do it again as it might resolve a problem. If you cannot find a solution to your problem and it is indeed magnetic interference I would talk to Autel as you could have a bad compass or even bad IMU. Better to send it in and get it fixed right then fly it and crash it.

They claim you only need to do it once with the beta but they have also said it will not hurt if you need to do it again as it might resolve a problem. If you cannot find a solution to your problem and it is indeed magnetic interference I would talk to Autel as you could have a bad compass or even bad IMU. Better to send it in and get it fixed right then fly it and crash it.
Great feeback...thanks! I'll try the compass calibration and see if that works than! Hadn't even thought about a bad compass, and what is the IMU?

One other thing you can do is go to the play store on your cell and download the app ( Should I Fly ) this app will give you the magnetic interference for the day provided by NOAA , and the next few days! I use this as kinda of a guide line... The sun can cause you to have a weird day..hope this helps.

I second the compass calibration... and don't carry keys or other metallic objects in your pockets.
I tried to calibrate this morning and it worked in the horizontal position but not the vertical. Tried at least 5 times with no luck. I got a reply from customer service and they suggested installing the beta firmware, but that's what I already have installed. Told them about my calibration issue and waiting to hear back from them now.

This problem was talked about on their facebook page and one of the tech guys suggested not being so precise. Meaning as you are going around to move it up and down in the vertical movement.

This problem was talked about on their facebook page and one of the tech guys suggested not being so precise. Meaning as you are going around to move it up and down in the vertical movement.
Thanks! I'll give it a shot!!

Thanks! I'll give it a shot!!
That worked!! In my case though, nose down didn't work. I had to do it sideways, raising and lowering it. But the app said it was successful. I'm still a bit confused though since it seems to me that the "Compass" line should have "Normal" highlighted, which it doesn't. Still shows "Calibrate" highlighted. So is it calibrated or not????

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials