Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Lost Pin

I remember reading a article from the USA CEO Steve McIrvin who is no longer there but he had a reason why they were doing it this way. Wish I could find it now. Autel Robotics USA grew out of Steve McIrvins CopterShop a DJI reseller. Autel Robotics China acquired CopterShop to create a foothold in the USA,

Reactions: Tufargon
Well, they had a change of heart today. I received an email today from the Customer Support Supervisor that stated upon another look they had determined that it should be covered under warranty and my payment would be refunded. I am glad that they have decided to do this but I will not mark my Better Business Bureau complaint resolved until I receive my Drone and test and examine it.

Reactions: Ansia and Tufargon
Well, they had a change of heart today. I received an email today from the Customer Support Supervisor that stated upon another look they had determined that it should be covered under warranty and my payment would be refunded. I am glad that they have decided to do this but I will not mark my Better Business Bureau complaint resolved until I receive my Drone and test and examine it.
I would not be surprised that they are watching this thread as I know they have been known to frequent the forum.
Glad they did the right thing for you!!!

I would not be surprised that they are watching this thread as I know they have been known to frequent the forum.
Glad they did the right thing for you!!!
How did they tied my user to my drone and email? Because they refuse to reply every time I contact them... I wonder who is the member who works for Autel Robotics.

If it's you, the one reading this now, I have cookies. Just send me a private message!

• Haha
Reactions: Tufargon
They actually responded in some threads back in the X Star days.

Reactions: Ansia
All I can say is that those who fear this happening to them, should buy @gustofusion's 3D printer antenna protector. Even if the antenna does break under pressure, the 3D printed piece should hold it in place and prevent further damage.

On another note, I ordered mine and 1 came broken. They sent me replacements for free, so I can say the service was good.

My only complaint is that the antennas no longer fold on top of one another, like it did in the photo, but meh, I can live with that.

I have some black glue sticks and I put a dab of hot glue on each side of the antenna pins. No issues and can be removed by fingernails if needed.

Well I have an evo and the antenna pin on the remote controller fell out on me and I lost it. I know this is a common problem, I've read about it many time on this forum and others. Well I call Tech Support (IT'S STILL UNDER WARRANTY)and they had me send my drone with the remote controller. Two weeks in their possession and not a word, so today I called and they said "oh we sent you two invoices" I have not received anything from Autel since they sent me the shipping label and RMA. Well, it turns out I had to pay them $51.60 to ransom my drone that's under warranty that they have not even started to repair yet!!! This is really piss poor service and I told them so. I have filed a Better Business Bureau complaint against them and I would advise all to steer clear of this company. DJI's customer support service may be a pain but not this bad!
Well I have an evo and the antenna pin on the remote controller fell out on me and I lost it. I know this is a common problem, I've read about it many time on this forum and others. Well I call Tech Support (IT'S STILL UNDER WARRANTY)and they had me send my drone with the remote controller. Two weeks in their possession and not a word, so today I called and they said "oh we sent you two invoices" I have not received anything from Autel since they sent me the shipping label and RMA. Well, it turns out I had to pay them $51.60 to ransom my drone that's under warranty that they have not even started to repair yet!!! This is really piss poor service and I told them so. I have filed a Better Business Bureau complaint against them and I would advise all to steer clear of this company. DJI's customer support service may be a pain but not this bad!
Well, well...I had similar situation. Last Saturday, I took the RC out of the Autel bag just to find out that the base of the antennas were cracked and loose. I called CS and I gave them purchase date (not even a year ago) and all other information. "Don' t worry, still under warranty", I was told. I sent it with their shipping label and RMA. Let's wait. Hopefully I run with better luck! Still I trust Autel high standards towards customer service and quality control.

I was forced to pay for a cracked antenna some time back. Still feel that I was used by Autel.

• Sad
Reactions: Ansia
And..........10 days out of warranty one of my antennas hinges disintegrates. I ended up using a large paper clip and gently slid it through the holes, avoiding the wiring, then crimped up the ends on each side. Hoping there is no interference due to the metal paper clip. Shouldn't be but one never knows. I'll fly it tomorrow and see. Pretty tidy and it seems more firm than the original set up..lol
I guess the next step will be the 4 Hawks mod.
Update: Autel had me ship the controller only and did the work gratis even though it is out of warranty. Kudos to Alejandro and Autel.

Last edited:
All I can say is that those who fear this happening to them, should buy @gustofusion's 3D printer antenna protector. Even if the antenna does break under pressure, the 3D printed piece should hold it in place and prevent further damage.

On another note, I ordered mine and 1 came broken. They sent me replacements for free, so I can say the service was good.

My only complaint is that the antennas no longer fold on top of one another, like it did in the photo, but meh, I can live with that.
I emailed him to tell him they weren't right because they were so tight that I was afraid of breaking the antennas sliding them on (cleaning whatever the sticky stuff that was on them helped) and that they didn't allow the antennas to fold right. His response was that they are suppose to be tight. I realized I wasn't going to get anywhere with him so I ended up filing/sanding the pieces so that the antennas would still fold. I also had to glue the orange antenna cover back together because it had come apart on both sides. I thought when I ordered them that they were designed with the proper clearance to allow them to fold still based on his video on the website. Not the case without some modification (which kind if defeats the purpose of paying someone else to make them). I guess take it for what they are, cheap protection that will need some work to make them work properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trox
I emailed him to tell him they weren't right because they were so tight that I was afraid of breaking the antennas sliding them on (cleaning whatever the sticky stuff that was on them helped) and that they didn't allow the antennas to fold right. His response was that they are suppose to be tight. I realized I wasn't going to get anywhere with him so I ended up filing/sanding the pieces so that the antennas would still fold. I also had to glue the orange antenna cover back together because it had come apart on both sides. I thought when I ordered them that they were designed with the proper clearance to allow them to fold still based on his video on the website. Not the case without some modification (which kind if defeats the purpose of paying someone else to make them).
Reason they are tight, is to prevent them from falling off. I do agree on the antennas no longer folding perfectly. I just fold them by turning them a little bit. Didn't purchase the antenna cover.

Did buy the AB buttons protector. Had to super glue them, as they kept falling. Now I wish I hadn't, but they get the job done.

Reason they are tight, is to prevent them from falling off. I do agree on the antennas no longer folding perfectly. I just fold them by turning them a little bit. Didn't purchase the antenna cover.

Did buy the AB buttons protector. Had to super glue them, as they kept falling. Now I wish I hadn't, but they get the job done.
I get they need to be snug...these would barely slide on. To get them off I had to put a little oil on the antenna and work them off. Again that may because they had some sticky resin crap all over them

I emailed him to tell him they weren't right because they were so tight that I was afraid of breaking the antennas sliding them on (cleaning whatever the sticky stuff that was on them helped) and that they didn't allow the antennas to fold right. His response was that they are suppose to be tight. I realized I wasn't going to get anywhere with him so I ended up filing/sanding the pieces so that the antennas would still fold. I also had to glue the orange antenna cover back together because it had come apart on both sides. I thought when I ordered them that they were designed with the proper clearance to allow them to fold still based on his video on the website. Not the case without some modification (which kind if defeats the purpose of paying someone else to make them). I guess take it for what they are, cheap protection that will need some work to make them work properly.
I don't get critical very often but I do have to chime in on this one. Nothing personal, I'm just a disappointed consumer.

I also bought the Hinge Protectors as well as the antenna cover and the A/B button rings. And just as you discovered, the hinge protectors are a poorly made item with a terrible fit up on the antennas. I could only slide mine down less than one half inch before they were so tight I could barely "reverse course" and pull them off. It was as if the heat produced at the molecular level from the pressure and friction between the two surfaces was bonding them together when forcing the sleeve down the antenna.

If I were to somehow be successful at sliding them all the way down to the hinge without snapping the antenna I can guarantee you would never be able to remove them. The force it would take pulling them off would rip the antennas right out of the RC body. Mine remain in the shipping bag until I can get out my tiny jeweler's files and just as you, begin filing down the interior dimensions as well as the outer fit to get them functional. I had considered contacting the maker about this apparent manufacturing flaw but the 'damage' was already done at my end with my purchase. The marketing video is very misleading on attaching the hinge protectors and their performance. And it shows there is no tight fit.

I get they need to be snug...these would barely slide on. To get them off I had to put a little oil on the antenna and work them off. Again that may because they had some sticky resin crap all over them

After I re-machine the hinge protectors I will purposely leave them almost loose (like in the video) and put a drop of hot melt glue on the antennas next to the protector edge as an added precaution. Or use a tiny rubber band or O ring rolled down to the item which should work as a seat belt. As far as the antenna cover, I hold it on with a rubber band when storing the RC in the case for now since I don't have the hinge protectors mounted yet.

The button rings do work. Since attaching them I've not had one accidental press of A or B. But it was a pain trying to cut out the center of the two sided tape for a clean smooth edge. I had to use tiny scissors I use to tie fishing flies in order to access the interior of the ring. Perhaps cuticle scissors would also work if your significant other has a manicure kit. A single edge razor blade just don't cut it. :(

I don't get critical very often but I do have to chime in on this one. Nothing personal, I'm just a disappointed consumer.

I also bought the Hinge Protectors as well as the antenna cover and the A/B button rings. And just as you discovered, the hinge protectors are a poorly made item with a terrible fit up on the antennas. I could only slide mine down less than one half inch before they were so tight I could barely "reverse course" and pull them off. It was as if the heat produced at the molecular level from the pressure and friction between the two surfaces was bonding them together when forcing the sleeve down the antenna.

If I were to somehow be successful at sliding them all the way down to the hinge without snapping the antenna I can guarantee you would never be able to remove them. The force it would take pulling them off would rip the antennas right out of the RC body. Mine remain in the shipping bag until I can get out my tiny jeweler's files and just as you, begin filing down the interior dimensions as well as the outer fit to get them functional. I had considered contacting the maker about this apparent manufacturing flaw but the 'damage' was already done at my end with my purchase. The marketing video is very misleading on attaching the hinge protectors and their performance. And it shows there is no tight fit.

After I re-machine the hinge protectors I will purposely leave them almost loose (like in the video) and put a drop of hot melt glue on the antennas next to the protector edge as an added precaution. Or use a tiny rubber band or O ring rolled down to the item which should work as a seat belt. As far as the antenna cover, I hold it on with a rubber band when storing the RC in the case for now since I don't have the hinge protectors mounted yet.

The button rings do work. Since attaching them I've not had one accidental press of A or B. But it was a pain trying to cut out the center of the two sided tape for a clean smooth edge. I had to use tiny scissors I use to tie fishing flies in order to access the interior of the ring. Perhaps cuticle scissors would also work if your significant other has a manicure kit. A single edge razor blade just don't cut it. :(
I'm glad I am not the only one. Thank you! The video is beyond misleading! Once I finally got them on the first time and realized the antennas wouldn't fold due to the poor tolerances (again that isn't what the video shows) I had to put mineral oil on the antennas to get them back off ( partially because of the sticky crap all over them). After alot of filing and sanding then cleaning them up with rubbing alcohol I was able to get them to slide on like he shows in the video. I also filed/sanded the areas where the antennas tips touch to get the antennas to fold right. Then I had to glue the orange cover on both sides because it was separating from the top. I also ordered the battery terminal.covers and 5 of the 6 I had to clean up to get to work right. When I emailed him he didn't seem overly concerned telling me that they are suppose to be snug. Paid him.to.give me a rough product that I had to finish I guess.

Not to rationalize 3D printing, but it is far from perfect. To many variables, (temp, cooling, material, etc...).

Moving on, I had a pin fail on the left antenna after 8 months of careful use. I suspect that many of the left antenna failures are do to interference, (design) as we rotate the antenna to its closed position. See pictures 1-4.20191025_01.jpg20191025_02.jpg20191025_03.jpg20191025_04.jpg

The antenna cover was a great idea and I designed one that fit my needs to go over the stock antenna's and over the foot used to keep the remote from tipping over. See EVO Antenna pictures.
I have also included the STL, (zipped) file for those that might want to print it.

Attachments

• EVO Antenna Cover.JPG
    EVO Antenna Cover.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20191025_05.jpg
    20191025_05.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • EVO_Antenna_Cover.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Trox
Moving on, I had a pin fail on the left antenna after 8 months of careful use.
I'm very meticulous about my antenna deployment and stowaway beginning as soon as I read the posts about cracks and pin failures. And figured I could avoid becoming a 'victim' by intensifying the scrutiny of my use procedures. Looks like I need to double that effort. LOL Thnx.

The antenna cover was a great idea and I designed one that fit my needs to go over the stock antenna's and over the foot used to keep the remote from tipping over. See EVO Antenna pictures.
With respect to your engineered legs, it doesn't appear they can pivot once the antennas are deployed. When I mount my 8" tablet on the RC its really top heavy. Would your legs still balance the setup with a tablet or does it only work with lighter cell phones? It would appear making a two piece assembly with a hinge pin that allows the legs to extend out would stabilize even the largest tablets. Much like the table top 8x10 picture frames with their fold out brace.

With respect to your engineered legs, it doesn't appear they can pivot once the antennas are deployed. When I mount my 8" tablet on the RC its really top heavy. Would your legs still balance the setup with a tablet or does it only work with lighter cell phones? It would appear making a two piece assembly with a hinge pin that allows the legs to extend out would stabilize even the largest tablets. Much like the table top 8x10 picture frames with their fold out brace.

The idea was basically for a phone and not require modification of the remote, (warranty). It does work to a degree with a 8" tablet. Given the limitations of 3D printing and allowing the antenna's to be stored in their normal position I'm at a loss to how your idea might be accomplished. If your in the US, PM me a address and I'll send you one.

Attachments

• Tab_S2_01.jpg
    Tab_S2_01.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • Tab_S2_02.jpg
    Tab_S2_02.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • Antenna_01.jpg
    Antenna_01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • Antenna_02.jpg
    Antenna_02.jpg