Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Loss of video link signal

DroneDriver

Reaction score
Over the weekend I took the "Orange Tang" out for a spin and did a waypoint exercise, but after crossing the first fix (1/2 mile), I lost my video link. I initiated a RTH without incident. During landing I selected a different channel and the video link was reestablished. This is the third time this has occurred. I did not have any electronic wearables on me and the antennas were pointing out. I have tried using different lighting cables (Apple and aftermarket). Also, I have tried this link: If video link fails or disconnects frequently on the X-Star Premium, what should I do? : Autel Robotics

Anyone else getting this problem? I thought I should check here first before calling Autel. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Rawdog
Are you up to date on the APP? Are you using the android app or the ISO app?
Video disconnects are common and that is why Autel is running a lot of tests with beta apps.
You can go to a spot one day and have no problems and go back the next and have many problems.

Hopefully they get it sorted out soon.

Yes, current on the app and I am using IOS ver 1.3.48. It sure is disconcerting when this happens. Don't know if I want to be a beta tester unless they are replacing equipment for free.

Thanks, I will give Autel a call and provide them with more customer feedback.

Is your phone/tablet on the "known good" list of compatible devices and are you using the good cables?

Yes, iPad air2. Just got off the phone with an Autel representative - he said I should try again this time with my WIFI turned off from iPad. We'll see...

IMG_7203.JPG IMG_7202.JPG IMG_7206.JPG IMG_7208.JPG Well, took it out again and got disconnected along with GPS issues too. When selecting a new channel with low noise, the newly selected channel picks up residual noise. Don't know what to make of this. Also, the app keeps asking for permission.

Reactions: hotsun
I've noticed that with the channels too. Whichever channel is selected automatically has the most noise, even if it had the lowest noise before being selected.

Reactions: DroneDriver
I have spent a few days making videos at the same site and took off from a few different places. I noticed said problem was more prevalent in one take off location than the others. The complexity that surrounds each can differ depending on what is nearby.

I've noticed that with the channels too. Whichever channel is selected automatically has the most noise, even if it had the lowest noise before being selected.

I am curious if the folks that are using a wireless phone with the Starlink app are having the same problem with the noise or disconnecting video signal?

Reactions: Mr $panky
I have spent a few days making videos at the same site and took off from a few different places. I noticed said problem was more prevalent in one take off location than the others. The complexity that surrounds each can differ depending on what is nearby.

That could be. Right now I have a service desk ticket opened up with the Autel people, but I should have called instead of email. The back and forth with trouble shoot questions is a bit tedious. Finally I gave them the link to this thread. Waiting to hear back.

I am curious if the folks that are using a wireless phone with the Starlink app are having the same problem with the noise or disconnecting video signal?

This might be a redundant question but do you disable wifi and place the device in Do Not Disturb mode? I get random disconnects but they normally occur outside 1 mile range...... UNLESS I've forgotten to turn off some device settings.
I was told by CS that the video link channels are not working properly within the app (iOS) and that the best channel is always selected.....I don't doubt this but if doesn't work why present it? They really have a lot of cleanup to do within the Starlink app, hopefully the wait will be worth it.

This might be a redundant question but do you disable wifi and place the device in Do Not Disturb mode? I get random disconnects but they normally occur outside 1 mile range...... UNLESS I've forgotten to turn off some device settings.
I was told by CS that the video link channels are not working properly within the app (iOS) and that the best channel is always selected.....I don't doubt this but if doesn't work why present it? They really have a lot of cleanup to do within the Starlink app, hopefully the wait will be worth it.

I completely agree with you on the app clean up. Yes, I have disabled my wifi, but have not tried the DND. My latest CS email reply would like me to power down, then try disconnecting/reconnecting the camera and gimbal. I will let you know how it goes. If this works, we all will have to add a few more items to the preflight checklist.

Yeah I have to wonder if the actual communication to the aircraft on the selected channel is being misinterpreted as "noise" on the display (which would be a significant programmer error, but that is par for the course for anything these days).

Hey folks,

I test flew the Orange Tang today. Finally a day without gale force winds or Nor'easters, and I am happy to report that I did not get a video link disconnect. Yeah!! I first removed and reconnected the gimbal (to ensure positive contact), then placed the iPad Air2 in DND (do not disturb) mode, and lastly turned off the wifi. Next, sparked up the controller followed by the Starlink app and then the aircraft. Everything worked as it should (except for the ridiculous Yaw control - bane of my existence ). Waypoint and orbit worked fine with no disconnect.
One thing I wish to add, even though I did not get a video discon, I am still getting noise on the selected channel. I don't like that when you select a new channel it turns red with more noise than my surroundings . Maybe something in the controller isn't shielded correctly? Perhaps less noise = greater antenna performance?
Either way, at this point I am glad this video link problem seems to be solved and now I have renewed confidence in the equipment again. Thank you all who contributed.

Reactions: KunBow
I have struggled with video link disconnects since I bought mine. I called the help desk but they didn't think there was anything wrong. I never lose control of the drone on the positive side.

Reactions: KunBow
I have struggled with video link disconnects since I bought mine. I called the help desk but they didn't think there was anything wrong. I never lose control of the drone on the positive side.

Have you had any luck with the aforementioned solution? What device are you using?

I am using a Google Pixel. I have turned off wifi during flights. I have yet to try a new cable but it seems fine for everything else I use the cable for. I am using the regular USB plug, the micro USB doesn't seem to work at all? Is this normal? Perhaps, it is only for certain operations???

Oh I am going USB to USB-C on the phone.

I am using a Google Pixel. I have turned off wifi during flights. I have yet to try a new cable but it seems fine for everything else I use the cable for. I am using the regular USB plug, the micro USB doesn't seem to work at all? Is this normal? Perhaps, it is only for certain operations???

Oh I am going USB to USB-C on the phone.

I am not familiar with the Pixel. Does it have an option to place the unit into a Do Not Disturb mode? Also, since Starlink is pretty hoggish on the memory resources, is there an option to clear out any apps that are residing in memory? This along with turning off WIFI and keeping the antenna straight have worked for me.

As for the USB cable, I would think the one from Autel should be OK since they approved it.

Good luck!

OK, so I tried it with my work phone (in addition to my Google Pixel) which is an Iphone 6. I get the exact same frequency of video disconnects. This helps to rule out the cable and the device. I will sometimes get video signal interference when the drone is even 10 feet away. I can replicate the error messages almost everytime by flying 500 feet away with a clear line of site to the drone.

Now I tried to call the support line and it is having me leave a message. I dunno, but is this company in trouble?

Reactions: Mr $panky

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials