Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Landing Gear Extenders Questions

RJ_Make

Reaction score
These are printed in ABS @ 10% infill, ambidextrous and very strong for it's application. So 40.40 grams for both extenders with a 1" aircraft extension, and an added 1-1/4" in stability.

I've been working on these off and on for a while now, trying to balance strength, weight, and easy 3D printing.

I like this design, but they are a bugger to get on. I want them to have a very snug fit around the aircraft landing skids even without the latches.

1) What is an 'acceptable' weight for a set of extenders?
2) What is the 'desired' height?
3) How many use extenders for stability?

P_20160922_074740.jpg

40 grams does not sound like anything. looking at other landing gear extensions for the phantoms you are within, or below, the weights of those items that are out there. At least 1 to 1.5 inches would be sufficient for the camera to clear uneven ground, imho. You can't make them too tall, though, unless you make the base even wider for stability.

Reactions: RJ_Make
I think those look really nice, RJ! How would the installation be for the end-user? Another idea for the feet - instead of worrying about the small notch at the bottom you could make it solid and put rubber "boots" on the feet to add in cushioning those hard landings. . . Are the orange inside rails for adding an additional gimbal guard? How far further do the feet extend from the x-star landing gear?

Reactions: RJ_Make
I think those look really nice, RJ! How would the installation be for the end-user? Another idea for the feet - instead of worrying about the small notch at the bottom you could make it solid and put rubber "boots" on the feet to add in cushioning those hard landings. . . Are the orange inside rails for adding an additional gimbal guard? How far further do the feet extend from the x-star landing gear?

Thank You. They are much easier to get on and off now, but still requires just the right angle. I tried small rubber feet, but the ones I have here (small round ones) didn't want to stay on the 3D printed base. Yes the inside rails are for accessories, and guard. I'm waiting on a RF-V16 GPS tacker to design a holder around.

Well back to the drawing board. Tested yesterday and I'm getting the extensions in the shot even at mild camera angles.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

JW.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Uavdude
Nice work overall, RJ! As a suggestion, is it structurally sound to angle the feet say 30-45 degrees outward rather than point them straight ahead? It looks like that could keep them clear of the shot. Might even improve the ground stability.

What's your estimate for on and off time? I'd be very interested, but of course would need to attach and remove them each time for transport in the case.

Thanks Airmetango. Trying to work out the bugs. I've increased the outer angle and cut the inner section to 130 degrees. Hopefully this will be enough. I have been also re-thinking the entire 'extension' section (feet)', maybe allowing them to slide on and off for times when you don't need the extra height. This would allow the continued use of the bases' modular design for trackers, gimbal guard, etc..

Installation is quick and easy once you get use to the angle required to install them. I will probably post up a video on the entire project once I'm done with it.

Unless I can somehow make this thing cheaper (maybe not use brass knurl inserts, reduce printing time, etc) I doubt anyone would want to purchase this as it's pushing 40 bucks at this point.. :eek:

2016-09-27 09_46_21-Photos.png

2016-09-27 09_48_40-Photos.png

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials