Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Anamorphic Lens mod

jonny1914

Reaction score
Merry Christmas all!

I've been toying with the idea of adding an old Moment anamorphic lens from the Mavic 2 pro I had laying around - drone sold a while ago - and I finally had some time to mock up some prototype mounts.
Took me 4 times to get it right and it looks like it is a success with some caveats:

Why the Moment lens?
It was designed for the Mavic 2 pro with a 1" sensor, there is nothing else in the market that fits our application better.
Cheap on the used market - it was not well received by the end users as it was hard to install and gimbal was too weak to handle extended usage.

Design goals:
  1. Mount had to be light and rigid (3d printed PLA)
  2. Top, back and bottom had to carry a total of 30g of counterweight
  3. Easy to mount and unmount
I ended up using M4 T-nuts and an M4 screw to hold the counterweights together - need 6 sets of (3 t-nuts + 1 m4 screw).
I used 2 sets per location(10g) with some hot glue holding them in place. The full assembly with lens actually came in a little lighter than the original Moment set up.

When I finished assembly I fired up the drone and installed it to see if the drone in action would cause the sensitive gimbal to give out, to my surprised it handled it well. Small video of the drone in action.
(This is very prelim as I have not taken it to the sky yet.)
I took some comparison pictures to see if the quality of the image was affected. I believe it softens the picture a bit and the AF gets a little wonky, I will have to use a better subject than my toy train next time and use Manual focus.

Cons:

Unfortunately I will have to come up with a better design to latch the back counter weight to the mount as it is a bit cumbersome and hard to attach/detach.
The gimbal will lose power while attaching the mount, but it does re-balance after the mount is on. - not sure if this will affect life of the gimbal -
To do this mod the Moment lens will need modifying, to me this was not a problem as it was laying around. The locking mechanism will have to be detached and the top hinge will have to be dremeled out. Also a notch added to the top to lock in to the mount.

As this is still "underconstruction" I will add more when I have more time.

Happy Holidays!

Jonathan

Attachments

• gim2.jpg
    gim2.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 59
  • gim1.jpg
    gim1.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20201225_203352.jpg
    20201225_203352.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20201225_160615.jpg
    20201225_160615.jpg
    955.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 20201225_160111.jpg
    20201225_160111.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
  • 20201225_160102.jpg
    20201225_160102.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 61
  • 20201225_160056.jpg
    20201225_160056.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
  • MAX_0005.JPG
    MAX_0005.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 65
  • MAX_0007-1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
Actually I do, after a whole year of being busy I picked this back up. I had to scrap the 3d printed counter weight design as it was too cumbersome to mount and it would break the pla.

I also experimented with other anamorphic lenses that we smaller like the one from the osmo pocket 2. Those were much lighter and easier to mount but decreased the picture quality significantly.

I made a velcro strap for the counter weight which seems to work ok. I will post a video in the next few days showing the footage in action.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it! I plan on doing the same so any instructional stuff will be really appreciated

Here is my first test, had very limited time but managed to get some ok footage of the mountain range while the sun was setting. The winds were pretty rough and the gimbal would jitter and give out if the camera was facing the wind. I rushed the grading but thats ok.
Image does go softer but that is an inherent problem with these budget anamorphic lenses. I need more time to make a better counter weight as this one is a pain to get on and off.

Looks good..... the video & music makes me sleepy.

Thank you for sharing this experiment with us.

Yea no worries, I was going for that mysterious wind howling vibe haha. Youtube compresses the crap out of these 4k videos. I will refine the system and get some better images in better light.

Damn! That looks amazing! I'm waiting for your design to be done! I want to do it for mine as well!

The gimbal giving out was an issue on Mavic as well under wind as the drone would give more power to the ESC/motors to compensate and would pull from the gimbal

@bogdi1988
I've been working on an update for the anamorphic lens. Didn't like the velcro strap design... Had to do some additional mods.

Last edited:
Here is the new design, also made a lens hood to go with it. For ease of installation I also made a camera drop down bracket system with taller landing gear to accommodate. I did not have time to test fly it this weekend. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• gimbal adapter.jpg
    gimbal adapter.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 4
  • rear gim.jpg
    rear gim.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Side gimb.jpg
    Side gimb.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 4
  • top gim.jpg
    top gim.jpg