Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

LAANC for Limited Recreational Flyers

-Test still being crafted. Will be electronically delivered (no testing sites). Undetermined cost.

- LAANC for hobbyists will be up on 7-23

- Hobbyists can't exceed 400 ft, even over obstacles/buildings/towers

Reactions: Ansia
-Test still being crafted. Will be electronically delivered (no testing sites). Undetermined cost.

- LAANC for hobbyists will be up on 7-23

- Hobbyists can't exceed 400 ft, even over obstacles/buildings/towers

Looks like it is available right now! I used Airmap to input all my info on LAANC except I didn't hit "submit". It asked for Duration, Altitude, my name, MP's name, insurance, weight, question if flying over people, within VLOS, hit next - shows your 'flight brief'. Then you can "submit". Isn't that LAANC?
I suggest if you have an older copy of Airmap that you uninstall & get the latest version because my older version did not provide me with that info...
~

Looks like it is available right now! I used Airmap to input all my info on LAANC except I didn't hit "submit". It asked for Duration, Altitude, my name, MP's name, insurance, weight, question if flying over people, within VLOS, hit next - shows your 'flight brief'. Then you can "submit". Isn't that LAANC?
I suggest if you have an older copy of Airmap that you uninstall & get the latest version because my older version did not provide me with that info...
~
It is live, but your submittal will get denied.
Screenshot_20190703-180140_AirMap.jpg
Insurance?

So I asked a friend to confirm if this is active and he checked and this is what he said. I can't check as I am in Canada so I cannot even log in LOL

"Just checked. No option for me in Airmap to submit a LAANC request when "Recreational - 44809" is chosen. "

So can you give more details on how you got approval?

Interesting. I tried it as a hobbyist and I got declined. Only got the confirmation code via SMS once I chose Part 107.

Another friend said he tried this to see and said Airmap is misleading when you try recreational. It doesn't let you enter a phone number and just goes straight to the flight time screen (as if it was approved)
Is this what your seeing?

It is live, but your submittal will get denied.
View attachment 4667
Insurance?

It asked for Duration, Altitude, my name, MP's name, insurance, weight, question if flying over people, within VLOS, hit next - shows your 'flight brief'. Then you can "submit". It did not ask for the info you showed above... When I did click on "Submit" & it popped back with a stop watch counting upward. I assume that was for my flight time & when I would end my flight. I saw no place to input my phone #. I requested permission again just a few minutes ago and it popped back with the stopwatch (I asked for 1 hour) & underneath the stopwatch is a button that says "End Flight". I didn't see that yesterday, so I'll wait a few minutes & hit the "End Flight" button.

BTW, In initiating LAANC, one of the first buttons I pushed on Airmap was "Recreational". I think on the first screen - and then don't be impatient, it will show you "Next" at the top right of the screen. This is when I saw the "Duration, Altitude, ETC requests & finished checking in... Like I said in a previous answer, be sure to install the latest AIRMAP app because it didn't work on the older version I had on my phone..

Last edited:
If you didn't get a text message like this one, then it hasn't been approved by LAANC.
View attachment 4668

That might be for Part 107's. I tried again just a bit ago & it is counting up for my flight time with a "End Flight" button underneath to push when I am done flying... ??? Having a little experience with the FAA, I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that hobbyists & 107 LAANC screens are different...??

That might be for Part 107's. I tried again just a bit ago & it is counting up for my flight time with a "End Flight" button underneath to push when I am done flying... ??? Having a little experience with the FAA, I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that hobbyists & 107 LAANC screens are different...??
You will always get the counter from Airmap, regardless if you are approved or not. The reason it is not live, is because you are unable to enter your phone number. When you used to call ATC, you were required for a phone number, it's a way to contact you in case or emergency. You will see on the 23rd an update from airmap allowing you to enter it. If you don't get a confirmation number directly from LAANC, then you do not have authorization. That's where Kittyhawk is superior. If they know you will get rejected, they won't let you proceed. Shame it's only available for LAANC authorizations on iOS for now.

I'm not trying to put you down. Just don't want you to get in trouble thinking you had authorization.

You will always get the counter from Airmap, regardless if you are approved or not. The reason it is not live, is because you are unable to enter your phone number. When you used to call ATC, you were required for a phone number, it's a way to contact you in case or emergency. You will see on the 23rd an update from airmap allowing you to enter it. If you don't get a confirmation number directly from LAANC, then you do not have authorization. That's where Kittyhawk is superior. If they know you will get rejected, they won't let you proceed. Shame it's only available for LAANC authorizations on iOS for now.

I'm not trying to put you down. Just don't want you to get in trouble thinking you had authorization.

OK! What is the "End Flight" button for? They do have my name on the app & when I registered, they have my address. Oh! And BTW when I called to fly, the ATC at this Class D field, out of the dozens of times I called, only asked for my phone number twice - LOL, all they would ask for is my location relative to their tower & tell me to stay below 400'. No name, no address, no phone#, no flight times - it was like I was bothering them...

OK! What is the "End Flight" button for? They do have my name on the app & when I registered, they have my address. Oh! And BTW when I called to fly, the ATC at this Class D field, out of the dozens of times I called, only asked for my phone number twice - LOL, all they would ask for is my location relative to their tower & tell me to stay below 400'. No name, no address, no phone#, no flight times - it was like I was bothering them...
Then your local ATC are full of irresponsible employees. The end flight is there for the logs within the app. Do you think they will be able to reach you in time via email when an emergency that requires your drone to be grounded ASAP? Even if you set your flight time within the app to 15 minutes. The LAANC code is valid for 4 hours.

Do you think they will be able to reach you in time via email when an emergency that requires your drone to be grounded ASAP?

Curious! For what reason on the face of the earth would they want to contact me to ground my drone when I usually fly below 200'? Besides, after calling this airport numerous times over the past 18 months, I am sure they have my phone number in their logs... ROFLMAO! Yeah, right! They couldn't care less especially when I am 4.75 miles from their tower...
Like I said --- Curious for your thought on the subject...

I was asked to ground my drone once, due to a robbery that was going on near me and the police helo would be patrolling the area.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raeveren