Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

JPEG or DNG?

Flipkal

Reaction score
I am a photographer and shoot almost everything in RAW (DNG) rather than JPEG. With that said, when I'm flying the EVO and start the video, I may want to take a still photo. If I use the 'snap picture' button on the RC, I would think that I would get a photo in the format I chose using the Photo options. Is that the way it is supposed to work, or do I have to go in 'Photo Mode' on Explorer and snap may photo while that is active?
The reason why I ask this is, when I look at the files on the card, I get a mixture of DNG's and JPEG's during a flying session. I just want one or the other. Can someone help me with this?
Thanks.

I am a photographer and shoot almost everything in RAW (DNG) rather than JPEG. With that said, when I'm flying the EVO and start the video, I may want to take a still photo. If I use the 'snap picture' button on the RC, I would think that I would get a photo in the format I chose using the Photo options. Is that the way it is supposed to work, or do I have to go in 'Photo Mode' on Explorer and snap may photo while that is active?
The reason why I ask this is, when I look at the files on the card, I get a mixture of DNG's and JPEG's during a flying session. I just want one or the other. Can someone help me with this?
Thanks.
In the camera settings you have to tell the app to take jpeg, dng or both. When you press the shutter button, it will take ithow you have it set up. Same if taken from app.Screenshot_20190703-174843_Autel Explorer.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.
Any photos snapped while recording video are only low res JPEG still frames from the 4K video, not separately captured photos. You have to stop the video and take a photograph to get a DNG and a high quality JPEG, if your settings are for both. Check the size of the JPEG files that are missing DNG's shot during video recording. They will be a small fraction of the size of the separate photo JPEG's that have matching DNG's. The still frame video extracts are much better created from the video during post, as you can then pick the sharpest, best frame, from among the 60 frames per second of the video, rather than the one that randomly was selected when taking stills during video recording. You can also set the JPEG compression percentage on your still frame video extract to 100% to maximize quality. You have no control over the compression on the random one selected during video recording. If you intend to use still frames taken from the video, make sure NOT to use any ND filters, because their sole purpose is to blur the still frames for a cinematic look, by creating motion blur!

Thanks very much. Your explanation is clear and shows why I've been getting so many jpegs during a shoot. I prefer to work with RAW (DNG) since I can get a larger image with more photo information. I'll be checking this out, but maybe you can save me some time.....if I stop video recording to shoot a DNG, do I need to switch to Photo mode on the Explorer App, i.e. White Circle, and then snap the photo. Or, could I just stop the video, and hit the Photo Button on the RC? I would think that since the video rec is stopped, then a DNG would be taken. Anyway, don't want to seem like a baby here, I can figure this out, but thanks again for 'pointing' me in the right direction.

Happy to help! Good point about using the Photo button on the RC, after stopping video recording via the Record button on the RC, to save steps changing modes on the screen to restore your ability to shoot DNG's. Should work! Using the RC buttons should also change the visible screen mode available in the app. BTW, even JPEG files shot in Photo mode will be far superior to any still extracts from the Video recording. At 60fps and 100 mbps, each video still frame is only 1.67 MB, while the Photo mode stills are 12 MB each. Happy shooting!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d