Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Why is DNG/RAW photo file format option not available for Max and Alpha series drones?

cmoynihan

Reaction score
JPEG is not professional photo format and has limited editing capability compared to raw/dng. They had no problem offering it with the EVO ll series. What gives? I would love to buy a MAX 4T but without raw, it's a non-starter for me.

Last edited:
In 12mp mode it supports DNG.

50mp is a "fake" resolution, so raw isn't possible.

Sorry for the crappy resolution pic, was easiest way to show. :)

This is a Max 4t btw.
Thank you for that. When you say 50 megapixels is fake resolution, what do you mean by that ? Are other camera's from other manufacturer's claiming higher resolution than what is actually there? When I think resolution I think of DSLR camera bodies. 30 mp camera is just that...30 mp image files.

On these (and many other cameras from 'non-photographic-companies') they don't actually have a 50MP sensor... they use multiple images or stacking to get a higher quality picture. I forget the exact term for it. But it explains why they can't do raw at 50mp, because 'raw' isn't actually 50mp, it's whatever the sensor really is which is 12.

There was a doc somewhere on one of the autel spec sheets that had some details of what they did... lots of companies do it since it produces a file with higher resolution and actually slightly higher quality (since I think it uses 4 or 5 images or shoots some video and does some magic or something like that) to try to make the quality better.

FYI, the 'code word' in spec sheets that tells you they're playing games is when they say 'effective pixels' :)

--Chris

Last edited:
Is the 20MP CMOS sensor in the Consumer EVO ll Pro 6K series actually 20MP? Are there any other drones that are capable of better still photography than the EVOll Pro 6K? Thanks

Is the 20MP CMOS sensor in the Consumer EVO ll Pro 6K series actually 20MP? Are there any other drones that are capable of better still photography than the EVOll Pro 6K? Thanks
I think it's legit on the 6K.... it's well known that the 6K is way better then the 8K for image quality and it's using a Sony 1" sensor and capable of 150mbps. Plus they don't mention the dreaded 'effective pixels' anywhere. So it's quite likely that the 6k's gimbal really is 20mp.

That being said, I don't have one, so I don't personally know for sure. (my Evo 2 is a 640T v3)

--Chris

Reactions: cmoynihan
Yeah Evo 2 pro v3 is real 20MP (although 6K isn’t real, it’s 5.4K if I remember correctly) and personally I think it’s THE BEST camera for photography

Reactions: cmoynihan

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo