Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Is Evo 2 close to EOL?

AstroNoot

Reaction score
So, today Autel launched the Lite and Nano series.
It will come with a new app called Autel Sky that looks really similar to DJI Fly.

Considering they moved on to another app, does this mean that Evo 2 is close to EOL?
The new app looks like it has way more features on drones that are supposedly inferior to the Evo 2. They also added Dynamic Track 2.1

Do you think they'll add new features to the Explorer app too?

I don't think we'll know until we see the new app. usually you can tell right away if the new app is a migration or a sideshow. dji has a couple of concurrent apps and there are complaints on both sides but they both seem to be still supported.

eol is a strong word. personally I don't think any company should use that word in the public domain. it means different things to different people under some many different conditions. you will be abused if you use that word and don't explain exactly what you mean....better to avoid it completely.

that being said, I don't think the evo2 is close if by close you mean within one year.

EVO II is far from EOL (@kenautelevo2pro makes a good point regarding the use of this term) and the introduction of the Autel Sky app is by any means a "we're moving on from our current app" from what we see in our position. It has been common for manufacturers that make solutions for consumers/prosumers vs. commercial/enterprise to have an app ecosystem for their relative offerings.

Similar to the way DJI introduced the Fly app for their smaller systems, or Parrot having different versions of their FreeFlight app for differing product offerings, Autel has done the same.

An app can become larger and more processor intensive when it contains more code than is needed for different products the app is used with. Different apps are designed for use with different platforms, and if an app has coding for 10 platforms it will be far more inefficient from a coding and operating perspective than an app designed for 2-4 platforms.

The new Sky app will not have any of the mission planning capabilities that the Explorer app has, and I'm sure there will be other things well.

Thanks for the info. It just seems really odd that none of their Evo 2 drones are in stock anymore, that's all.
It's just a coincidence, but it really seemed plausible, considering Autel's history :)

Thanks for the info. It just seems really odd that none of their Evo 2 drones are in stock anymore, that's all.
It's just a coincidence, but it really seemed plausible, considering Autel's history :)
You're most welcome. I'm not sure if you are referring to stock status with Autel directly or elsewhere. Autel primary sells their product through their distributor and dealer network and given the shortages that has occurred with chipsets and V1/V2, a lot (if not all) of the inventory allocation is likely going into their distribution channel. Looks like we have every last EVO II model currently in stock, including the new EVO II Enterprise series, except for the EVO II Pro Standard (V2) -> Autel EVO II Drone Series

Reactions: G_G
Explorer is about to get a total rework... If I had anything to do with it, it would. I did a comparison video with another app that's just way better, in a way that makes Explorer look archaic. I dont think the E2 is close to death... It has way too much potential.

If you subscribe to the latest greatest any anything prior is dead, then EVO II dead from a perception perspective for some. Otoh, if you are looking for a proven platform whose sw/fw keeps getting better (at least we know what most of the bugs, function/feature gaps are), IMHO the EVO IIs have a long life (e.g. couple of years) practical use left. Batteries or spares could be short supply which you can address by buying and using some extra batteries, replace as needed.

The enterprise which was just released is based upon the Evo II frame. No Way, they bail on the Evo II just as they start selling it into the Enterprise market. Those guys would crush them if they did. I'm sure much of their stock is going into the Evo II Enterprise because of the parts shortage as they have bigger margins in that market. Just a supply issue across the board with the chip shortage. The chip foundries say by the end of 2022 it should be better which generally will mean mid to late 2023 before it gets better :).

If your worried about it, buy same spare stuff that will sit on the shelf. I wouldn't keep a ton of batteries on the shelf. But 1-2, that you charge up once a month to keep them good is fine. I have one on the shelf at moment.

Reactions: gschulzuio
V1 firmware is removed from Autel's downloads
looks like my reply from a tablet didn't make it earlier. i was saying, it sounds like they may have pulled it down from that page because too many v2 drones were trying to use it. could be confusing if you don't know your version but you look at the sw numbers and you try to use the latest (v1 version seems to be a bigger number than v2). if you have v1, you should be update to by now and there really shouldn't be any traffic to this link. download sw to a card and attempting to upgrade is so rare.

if i were autel, i would include a link that says if you don't see your software, click here which will take you to other versions (hidden away) including v1. however, i understand that many people believe the status of the website directly indicates the status of support for a drone.

Reactions: gschulzuio
So, today Autel launched the Lite and Nano series.
It will come with a new app called Autel Sky that looks really similar to DJI Fly.

Considering they moved on to another app, does this mean that Evo 2 is close to EOL?
The new app looks like it has way more features on drones that are supposedly inferior to the Evo 2. They also added Dynamic Track 2.1

Do you think they'll add new features to the Explorer app too?

What to Expect: EVO II V1 & V2 Series Support​

Company News2022-11-09
What to Expect: EVO II V1 & V2 Series Support

On 10/28 we launched our exciting new EVO II V3 lineup. This new chipset upgrades key features of our well-loved EVO II Series, including increased range, better camera quality, and Live Deck compatibility.

While we’re excited about this new evolution, we know that users worldwide have come to know and love their V1 and V2 models. We want everybody to know that we remain committed to you.

While production of older versions has ended, sales and maintenance support will be available through these dates:

• EVO II V1 Series – May 2023
  • EVO II V2 Series – October 2024

We recognize that the V1 Series is rapidly approaching its end of support. In the case parts aren’t available for service, we’ll offer you a discount on similar V2 products through your dealer or retailer of choice.

Questions can be sent to [email protected]

Thank you for choosing Autel Robotics.

Pilot Institute's Greg reported this week that Autel Robotics just announced Customer Service will continue for 3 years beyond stated V1 and V2 Evo II End-of-Life dates. That's welcome, though what it will mean if you need a main board (for products by then long out of production and possibly no longer available) is anybody's guess at this point. Many of the other major components interchange with the V3 so there will be potential repairs for years to come if this proves true

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials