Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Insuring your EVO

Spappy

Reaction score
Question for those that have insured your EVO: do you need to ask your agent for a specific type of policy or is it basically just liability insurance, and how much are you paying for it?

Question for those that have insured your EVO: do you need to ask your agent for a specific type of policy or is it basically just liability insurance, and how much are you paying for it?

Are you asking as in insurance for business use/FAA rules or insurance as in theft/loss or shot down, while flying for recreation/personal?

I am curious on the topic of insurance myself. I need to make sure if it is stolen, where it needs to be added -- like to homeowner's/renter's insurance policy or get a particular policy? And what it will additionally cover.

I purchased my EVO from Best Buy and bought their Geek Squad plan for Drones. I asked if it crashed, what the requirements for the warranty to cover it were -- they said as long as I bring in most of it -- it is covered as "accidental damage" as you usually do not intentionally damage your drone; as well as other factors in drones going out of control. It was a bit pricey - but also included a "camera cleaning/check-up/replacement" and the option to get a new battery if something goes wrong with the original. I assume this includes the charger.

I did not ask about it covering the controller -- but would assume it does -- as the controller can be repaired or ordered new, separately, like batteries.

Thank you.

Funny this came up, because I was flying today and ran in to a guy with a Mavic 2 Pro. As we were shooting the breeze he mentioned that he had his drone insured through AllState. So naturally I had to dig a bit deeper, and he claims he pays $30 every 6 months and that the drone is covered for just about anything that can happen to it. There is no repairing the drone if it crashes. They will simply cut him a check to buy a new one. He also claimed he has NO other insurance through AllState and that it is a stand alone policy. Needless to say I will be checking in to the validity of such claims and purchasing said policy if this is all truth. Check it out... it would be a great option if it's legit.

Reactions: Spappy
Funny this came up, because I was flying today and ran in to a guy with a Mavic 2 Pro. As we were shooting the breeze he mentioned that he had his drone insured through AllState. So naturally I had to dig a bit deeper, and he claims he pays $30 every 6 months and that the drone is covered for just about anything that can happen to it. There is no repairing the drone if it crashes. They will simply cut him a check to buy a new one. He also claimed he has NO other insurance through AllState and that it is a stand alone policy. Needless to say I will be checking in to the validity of such claims and purchasing said policy if this is all truth. Check it out... it would be a great option if it's legit.

State Farm does the same thing for around the same price. You have to be careful though as it might be covered in your State but if you travel it might not be covered in other States. Always good to read the finer print :)

This brings up a question... Hull Insurance tag-ons. Does Hull insurance apply on a downage by projectile (bullet or rock as you may know people are blasting them out of the sky with guns) Or Hull damage is Hull damage regardless?

I called Liberty Mutual last night due to a mailer I received over the weekend, claiming a 30% discount on insurance because I own a Nissan recently with all kinds of safety features. So the rep is asking all of these questions about my cars, motor cycles, boats, "personal aircraft". I stopped her right there... lol

That's when she was real interested in do her job ;-) She said her initial thought is they or anyone would cover under their renter's or homeowner's insurance as just personal effects because it was, what it was.... lol But she diligently is researching in the background to find out "Sir - You live in NC -- so drones ARE considered AIRCRAFT..." I'm like duh -- that's why I am asking to you consider and explain coverage for my drone.

So she dug a little further and said they are covered with then through homeowner's/renter's insurance for theft, loss or property damage.

I was originally calling to get a rate quote for my auto insurance -- so I killed two birds with one stone! And I will be sticking with my current insurer for now. lol Their rates were astronomical!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramipazhar