Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

I'm getting very little range

Antoine

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I live in the UK and recently bought an Evo 1. One problem I'm having with it is a serious lack of range, and it's got me wondering if I'm doing something wrong. It can't seem to get more than half a mile away before the controller disconnects, then reconnects, and when it's reconnected, return to home has been triggered. This is line of sight, with no obstacles in the way at all.

I should mention that, as I do not have a smartphone yet, I always fly with just the controller.

Can anyone suggest things I could check, or is it definitely a fault? Thanks.

Last edited:
The antennas: parallel, directed downwards and forming an angle of 90 ° with the drone. If the problem is not resolved, perhaps a problem with the RF module on the radio.
antenne radio.jpg

I've been positioning the antennas parallel but pointing upwards. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong. But would that make such a difference? Anyway, I'll try your suggestion. Thank you very much.

Also take into consideration that the UK is CE and not FCC, therefore the range produced between the controller and drone is shorter than the advertized 7km. I believe CE is limited to 500m in Europe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I just have to say pointing 1 into the upward parralel position and one downward as shown above has proved it's best outcome for every flight since and also take note that the left antenna is for the RC to quad control strength and the right antenna is for the video transmission strength and that's lookj g at it from when you're holding it, if you're looking at it from the front reverse what I said from before. But also I have recently noticed the range has diminished substantially ever since the last app update so I ha e a feeling something may have changed due to the launch of the EVO 2 but I'm stl testing and can't confirm is it's true, I'm also I. The USA and never had such signal issues either and it's no matter where I'm at or how I face the drone it just plan sucks right now.

Autel EVO 2 drone:: Was able to get 4.2 miles/22,200 ft/6.76km with a 10-12mph tail wind going 45mph/72km/hr (ludicrous mode0 from my home point. I barely made it back to home, because of the 10-12mph head wind. Only had 1% battery left at the end of flight. Just enough to land. I flew out at 45 MPH in ludicrous mode, but could only reach speeds of 22mph on the way back. while in ludicrous mode,. I turned around at the 4.2 mile point with 68% battery. Returned home in ludicrus mode while descending to 90ft to reduce the amount of headwind. Scared the crap out of myself. I modified the shell of the EVO2. I cut out both sides of the orange ventilation areas. The orange covering is not structural, thus easy to modify. THIS KEPT THE BATTERRIES COOL, BUT I HAD TO FLY SIDEWAYS. I got the signal distance from my ALIENTECH POWER BOOSTED ANTENNA, that i installed onto my remote control unit. Excellent product, the power boosted version. I was flying over trees and buildings at the 400 ft max altitude and got 4.2 miles. I believe that is impressive in such an environment. Anyway, if you have ant questions, I'll try and answer them.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58