Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

How many drone owners/pilots have not obtained the part 107 license?

Glad to hear you're doing well, Normex - relatively speak! ;) It's definitely something anyone could do by way of hobby to find the fun in life! And, you've found one of yours - like many of us here! :)

To your point about mandated testing/certification, we all know it's just a matter of time before US implements such thing. In the US, things just takes more time to 'evolve' because of the red-tape mentality set forth by the Government to its people. To be frank, this is all a convoluted mess and contradiction... red-tape because of red-tape and Government governing its people who was elected by the very people it elected in the first place... And, in your case, you CAN'T fly a plane but you can fly a drone...

Undoubtedly, there way too many things to mention here that should be changed, but like I said before, we each just need to find a way to find that 'balance' to live life to the fullest... :) Not to sound like a broken record, but I know we are all here because we've managed to find ours - drone flying!

Cheers!
Hey thanks Guy, I'm done with this only for 2 years ...hehe at least I have confidence that my Evo will last as much and then we have to repeat another test...will see what will exist then.
Many Thanks and be safe,
Btw I have a UL Trike for sale if you ever know anyone that might be interested.

Norm

Well... I spend my time chasing holes, so I don't have 262 hours of stick time. Between my 2 accounts I'm at 60h.
Chasing holes? I'm sure you have more EVO stick time. I didn't pick mine up until 4 weeks ago. Still finding my way among all the DJI differences and the two disparate Explorer apps on iOS and Android, and the internal RC app!

Chasing holes? I'm sure you have more EVO stick time. I didn't pick mine up until 4 weeks ago. Still finding my way among all the DJI differences and the two disparate Explorer apps on iOS and Android, and the internal RC app!
Chasing holes = chasing skirts. Just kept the analogy of sticks vs holes. Yes I have a dirty mind. Mine only has an hour of flight time. I'm so busy all the time that I hardly get to fly it. I fly my Phantom fleet for work during the week. When you fly the same type of bird, you get similar results, where you can compare. My Evo was bought as a backup for the NFZ, but now that I understand how it works and I haven't been grounded ever since, I just use my Evo as a fun drone to fly in my private time.

Chasing holes = chasing skirts. Just kept the analogy of sticks vs holes. Yes I have a dirty mind. Mine only has an hour of flight time. I'm so busy all the time that I hardly get to fly it. I fly my Phantom fleet for work during the week. When you fly the same type of bird, you get similar results, where you can compare. My Evo was bought as a backup for the NFZ, but now that I understand how it works and I haven't been grounded ever since, I just use my Evo as a fun drone to fly in my private time.
60 holes, eh? Must be fertile territory! ;) Weather has cut into my flying time. Between rain and high winds and cold temperatures, I'm falling behind. EVO is my GEO backup, too, and a good portable 4K 60fps, where the P4P is my first choice, but doesn't travel so well. The EVO in public can also be a chick magnet! Come for the drone, leave with the pilot! :p

• Haha
Reactions: Ansia
60 holes, eh? Must be fertile territory! ;) Weather has cut into my flying time. Between rain and high winds and cold temperatures, I'm falling behind. EVO is my GEO backup, too, and a good portable 4K 60fps, where the P4P is my first choice, but doesn't travel so well. The EVO in public can also be a chick magnet! Come for the drone, leave with the pilot! :p
No no no. You're going to get me in trouble. 60h of flight on my DJI accounts. I have never considered using the drone for the chick magnetization. Thank god, I was about to get a Siberian Husky. Now I don't need to.

Not necessarily true. Can't claim ignorance if you are 107 Certified. ;)

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Sure... It makes the Judge and Prosecutor chuckle... and the people thank you for you ancillary contribution to the local Government.. BUT you will not be overlooked.

No no no. You're going to get me in trouble. 60h of flight on my DJI accounts. I have never considered using the drone for the chick magnetization. Thank god, I was about to get a Siberian Husky. Now I don't need to.
You were already in trouble. I was just helping! Drone and the Siberian Husky will guarantee you get in 18 holes without even making a tee time! :cool:

Just took and passed 107 this morning! Flying my EVO since June, and DJI Spark for 1.5 yrs prior (what a difference). Now just have to work on getting my foot in the door somewhere so I can fly a drone for work (that would be utopia for me). Really enjoy flying as a hobby, would love to take it to the next level.

Just took and passed 107 this morning! Flying my EVO since June, and DJI Spark for 1.5 yrs prior (what a difference). Now just have to work on getting my foot in the door somewhere so I can fly a drone for work (that would be utopia for me). Really enjoy flying as a hobby, would love to take it to the next level.
Hate to rain on your parade, but you are about 10 years too late. Everyone who could possibly need a drone for any commercial work already has their own, and the drones can basically fly themselves now for "good enough" work. The FAA bar to entry for commercial drone flying is now a weekend of study, instead of a real private pilot's license. It's a race to the bottom for commercial work, as every hobbyist is competing with you for free, just for an excuse to fly. Utopia is a pipe dream. Best to keep enjoying it as your hobby.

Hate to rain on your parade, but you are about 10 years too late. Everyone who could possibly need a drone for any commercial work already has their own, and the drones can basically fly themselves now for "good enough" work. The FAA bar to entry for commercial drone flying is now a weekend of study, instead of a real private pilot's license. It's a race to the bottom for commercial work, as every hobbyist is competing with you for free, just for an excuse to fly. Utopia is a pipe dream. Best to keep enjoying it as your hobby.
I get drone work all the time, even when the client has drones themselves. Best part is sometimes I get jobs where I don't have to do anything, but watch, just because of my certification.

Wow, cup half empty kind of guy are you. Not sure I agree with that as there are lots of busineses just scratching the surface of drone use in their industry. You have to have a license to be legal and never said it had to be my drone I would use. Companies like UPS, AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, Amazon, and a host of others. I work for one of those companies that is just beginning to look to drones for multiple new applications and are just starting to invest in that department with serious budgets. 10 years too late -- I don't agree at all. They aren't hiring hobbyists either - 107 is the first of many requirements needed to fly their fleet of drones and are willing to invest several thousands to train you for their specific requirements. I said I want to take it to the next level which doesn't mean I have to create my own niche or reinvent the wheel.

Reactions: Trox
I get drone work all the time, even when the client has drones themselves. Best part is sometimes I get jobs where I don't have to do anything, but watch, just because of my certification.
Indeed, but any hobbyist, starting out today, who has just gotten a 107, and thinks that itself is the ticket to success, is in for a rude awakening. Everyone that wants one or needs one also has a 107, including many hobbyists who are not interested in commercial work. It's the contacts and the connections and business and marketing skills that will determine the success in any business, and not the certification itself. Flying is less than 10% of the work week of a professional drone pilot working for himself. The other 90% will be spent on trying to find clients. Same with any professional photographer. Drone pilot is just a photographer with a flying tripod in the sky. Still need paying clients, and outside of the enterprise marketplace, which is far more specialized, everyone is now a drone photographer!

Reactions: Nightbat2
Wow, cup half empty kind of guy are you. Not sure I agree with that as there are lots of busineses just scratching the surface of drone use in their industry. You have to have a license to be legal and never said it had to be my drone I would use. Companies like UPS, AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, Amazon, and a host of others. I work for one of those companies that is just beginning to look to drones for multiple new applications and are just starting to invest in that department with serious budgets. 10 years too late -- I don't agree at all. They aren't hiring hobbyists either - 107 is the first of many requirements needed to fly their fleet of drones and are willing to invest several thousands to train you for their specific requirements. I said I want to take it to the next level which doesn't mean I have to create my own niche or reinvent the wheel.
My apologies. I misunderstood your post, and your connections. Enterprise is definitely a growth market! Good luck!

Reactions: Heckmaniac`s Drone
Indeed, but any hobbyist, starting out today, who has just gotten a 107, and thinks that itself is the ticket to success, is in for a rude awakening. Everyone that wants one or needs one also has a 107, including many hobbyists who are not interested in commercial work. It's the contacts and the connections and business and marketing skills that will determine the success in any business, and not the certification itself. Flying is less than 10% of the work week of a professional drone pilot working for himself. The other 90% will be spent on trying to find clients. Same with any professional photographer. Drone pilot is just a photographer with a flying tripod in the sky. Still need paying clients, and outside of the enterprise marketplace, which is far more specialized, everyone is now a drone photographer!
Agree in principle, especially when it comes to real estate and general photography. But starting from scratch depends, often, on what you intend to do with your licence and what previous experience you may have.in another job, industry etc. For instance, one of the students in my class was a contract hunter of feral animals (pigs etc), and is now using his drone to ‘spot’ the animals from afar, which he reckons saves him hours of slogging through bush. Another was a retired Chartered Surveyor who went back to work with the aid of his Phantom. Yet a third, bought up on a farm, has splurged thousands on one of DJI’s agricultural kits and is currently using it for crop spraying and infrared soil/plant monitoring. As a former journalist and media manager, I’m building a website that will—I hope—provide me with enough flying activity to keep me interested In semi retirement. We are all doing what our instructor reckons would be the best option: add the licence to your existing bag of skills and interests.

Reactions: G_G
We are all doing what our instructor reckons would be the best option: add the licence to your existing bag of skills and interests.
That's where the integration works best. Add it to your existing business as a new capability. Real estate agents and pro photographers are in the best position to do that, if they are already profitable. It certainly is a useful tool in many different existing businesses, from roofing to construction, and anything that requires inspections otherwise done from ladders!

Reactions: Nightbat2
Drones are just part of the services one offers. It shouldn't be the center of the business. To me is just a tool to shorten inspection times. I always pass on photography gigs. They are annoying and boring. I did a gig for a tv series. I don't know how it turned out. I don't even know what the series is called lol. I did get asked if I wanted my name in the credits, but I declined. I did enjoy that one. It was at the beach filming women having fun.

Lately I get hired as a PIC, but not the actual pilot. So basically all I do is supervise the flight while the pilot/owner does whatever s/he wants.

Reactions: G_G and Nightbat2
That's where the integration works best. Add it to your existing business as a new capability. Real estate agents and pro photographers are in the best position to do that, if they are already profitable. It certainly is a useful tool in many different existing businesses, from roofing to construction, and anything that requires inspections otherwise done from ladders!
Chatting to my former instructor yesterday and he told me of a new ‘micro’ opportunity he’s plugged into. Up here we have acre upon acre of macadamia nut plantations (as well as coffee, avocados, blueberries and other crops). An acquaintance of his who owns a couple of hundred acres of macadamias recently purchased a new spraying machine which you pull along between the rows of trees so that the spray gets up underneath them, through them and just over the tops. I gather that adjusting the sprayer for the current tree height is a bit of a hit or miss business the first time. By flying his drone a row away and a fraction above the tree height, my mate was able to get some good video by which they could adjust the height where necessary. It took an hour or so to get it right and the farmer reckoned it had saved him hours and hours of fiddling. So, next year, when the trees are taller...and of course, the farmer will tell others and hopefully my mate will get more small jobs. As he makes his living mainly as an instructor, this is all icing.

Reactions: G_G and Ansia
Hi, I have mine and I would honestly get it to be safe. I did it with Mappix, and they just made their training program free during coronavirus. So this would be a good time to get it out of the way, I think. Here's the link to their youtube:

Reactions: Tufargon

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chen