Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Homemade landing gear extensions

Your conversation brought back memories of my first “RC” aircraft. Do you remember these? Vtg 1960s COX Thimble Drome PT-19 Flight Trainer 049 Gas Engine Airplane w Box | eBay
I do! I didn't have the PT-19; I had something else, but can't remember what it was. I do remember that that little 049 never, never worked for more than about 10 seconds...just enough to keep me trying, but not enough to get me flying. So I would stand in the yard and swing the thing around on the strings, without the motor running, paying out line as I went around, hoping to get to full extension before I got too dizzy to stay standing. :) Stupid thing *never* flew. :)

I also recall having a control line car that had the same motor...and I had the exact same results with that too. Stupid thing *never* drove. :)

As a bonus, another reason "Cox 049" brings back memories is because my step-dad's last name is Cox, and he's the one who bought me the plane and the car. No relation to the company. :D

I spent half my time with that thing plugging in that huge cylindrical battery, making sure the glow plug was glowing, and priming and choking, only to get “pttt pttt pttt...” then nothing...

Reactions: WildDoktor
I spent half my time with that thing plugging in that huge cylindrical battery, making sure the glow plug was glowing, and priming and choking, only to get “pttt pttt pttt...” then nothing...
I guess your dad and my dad bought from the same store. :D

Reactions: Bigbit
I do! I didn't have the PT-19; I had something else, but can't remember what it was. I do remember that that little 049 never, never worked for more than about 10 seconds...just enough to keep me trying, but not enough to get me flying. So I would stand in the yard and swing the thing around on the strings, without the motor running, paying out line as I went around, hoping to get to full extension before I got too dizzy to stay standing. :) Stupid thing *never* flew. :)
You guys are bringing back some childhood memories. I too had one one of those planes that needed a 3 lb dry cell to heat a glowplug but never ran long enough to fly on the end of a control handle with 2 strings. Mine was grey with USAF decals. I don't have a clue as to what airplane it was modeled after. Probably one that never got off the ground.

Still not satisfied with the extensions, but it's something. Oh, and those glasses represent the various stages of eye deterioration, and also.... can't find them, go buy another pair, then find them.:p
Gotta love the $1 stores ;)

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller