Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

High KP later tonight

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
With the higher KP reading later tonight it might be a good night to see if the northern lights are out. Never tried to get them with my quads before.
No if I can just stay up that late LOL

screenshot-www.uavforecast.com 2017-09-06 09-36-11.png

Agustine, got a question. When the KP is high and in the read but everything else is good, from my understanding we still should not fly, is that correct? I have the same software you are posting and was reading up on KP and its influence on the GPS and was wondering if it has any real bearing or is this just being over cautious and many fly anyway.

I have flown when it was 9 KP with no problems. Others will tell you 5 is the magic number and not to go fly. :)
I read a very good post on the DJI forum by someone who seems to know what he is talking about. I tend to agree with him.

"Most of the people that want to warn others of the potential GPS difficulties have no idea of the real issues.
(For a lot of users, GPS is a complete mystery and gets blamed for all manner if things it is not related to.)
Do a google search and about the best you'll find is the vague "gps may be affected" but nothing to say how much.
Here's a post by a member who actually knows something about what really happens and what the impacts could really be."

Solar Flares

Reactions: Hilander
Well this solar flare is the largest one in 12 years so use caution:)

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Since this solar flare was so large I have been looking for people posting about fly a ways or anything strange in their flights. So far I have not seen any reports of trouble.
Now these flares are suppose to knock out radio and there have been reports of this. Also they say earthquakes can happen, well guess what Mexico just had a 8.1 magnitude quake.
It would seem there is some truth to all this. You just might want to stay grounded for a day or so. :)

It is pretty crazy watching the numbers change from hour to hour. Looked about 1.5 hours ago and the 9's were a 5.
screenshot-www.uavforecast.com 2017-09-08 11-06-36.png

When does Chicken Little make his appearance and yell "the sky is falling? All these storms, earthquakes, etc. Wait, is that a meteor? Weather has been crazy this year, and no, it's not global warming caused by plastic water bottles....lol.

The high KP's kept me grounded yesterday so I took the time to update to the Beta Firmware. So now I am looking forward to seeing how much different she flies.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bailey54