Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!

Hey Hilo did you see this?

HiloHawaiian

Reaction score
Wow, how sad...Lava tubes are all over. It makes hiking so dangerous, especially on the Hilo side of the island. With so much rain, plants cover the weak roofs of tubes closer to the surface, which can collapse w/o warning. Most Hawaiian lava flows are only partially on the surface Underground tubes can flow long after the surface cools. Trying to build roads over the recently cooled surface flows, crews had to stop many times b/c the ground was over 400F — a sure sign lava was still flowing a year after it stopped up top.

My house was on an acre, 1/2 of it flat, 1/2 A’a lava that was densely overgrown. Walking the lot before I bought it, (with a machete), I fell into a hole 4‘ wide, 6’ deep. It was totally overgrown with weeds and vines, which cushioned the impact. I would have broken my leg at the very least if it was rocky. I was scrapped-up, but OK. The realtor with me thought I was a goner, I just disappeared! We later found 3 small tubes, and 2-3 deep holes. My yard, like many yards up-slope from town, was dangerous.....

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithV35