Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Hello from Switzerland

Clarence(CH)

Reaction score
Hello,
Simon from Switzerland (Zurich), 48. I m a total newbie and just bought a Evo 2 pro 6k as a beginner's drone.
Hope it's a good idea :). I'm scared to even unbox it and find a nearby field to learn more. Even with so many nice landscapes around, people here are apparently not so favorable to drones and regulations (relatively straightforward in Switzerland) is changing across entire Europe as from Jan 2021 (online exams, max 390ft altitude, min 500ft from any residential areas and tons more..)

This forum offers so many great reads. thanks!

Simon

Reactions: lukappaseidue
Welcome Simon from Northern Ontario Canada. Glad your reading up on the new regulations in the EU. Last place you want to end up is in court because of a bad judgement call.

Welcome to the Forum. I think you will enjoy your membership. There are many other members happy to provide assistance for any issues you may have, and those that may need information you bring. A lot of good information is already stored in existing threads.

Couple easy things:
1.) The search Icon is your friend. It's the magnifying glass near the upper right of the screen when you scroll all the way up. It can find many answers you will never find by yourself.
2.) Be aware that you won't always get a quick response. There are times when many other members are on line, and sometimes only a few. A response may not show up until the right person sees it.
3.) Be aware the forum is Global. If you are exchanging with a member on the other side of the world, response can get delayed and out of sequence due to a difference in local time.
4.) Although the Forum is global, the language is English. It is customary to translate other languages to English. Many members also include the original language post to help alleviate translation errors.
5.) Review the forum rules (on the bottom right). There are not too many, but it is important they are followed to keep the Forum a useful and happy place for everyone.

Also please ***READ BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP***

Reactions: Clarence(CH)
Hi from Florida. I would be interested what the rules are for flying in Switzerland?

Hi from Florida. I would be interested what the rules are for flying in Switzerland?
Hi,
sure. Until end of 2020 rules are relatively simple: for drones 0,5-30 kg visual flight only, unlimited altitude, don’t fly over groups of over 24 people (and stay at least 100 mt away). There are restrictions: NFZ within 5km radius from airports, 150m max altitude in CTRs, no fly in some game reserves, parks etc. inexpensive mandatory liability insurance (min 1m USD insured sum), no violation of personal privacy. That’s it.
The “issue” is that as from Jan 2020 European Union will introduce very restrictive rules and categories, in a nutshell lowering norms application to drones above 250 grams, max altitude 120 mt regardless, online pilot exam, drone registration. And if >0,9 kg (like the evo) no flying over urban or residential areas at any time (min 150 mt away). Plus tons of NFZ, CTR, dangerous areas (banned) and so on. Discouraging anything above a mavic mini...
Switzerland is not part of EU hence we might delay the adoption of the new rules but ultimately it will have to give in I am afraid.

Reactions: BenCham
I guess my FAA drone pilot certificate (part 107) want help me much? And where do I buy insurance?

I guess my FAA drone pilot certificate (part 107) want help me much? And where do I buy insurance?
I doubt the FAA certificate will be recognised. I'm not completely sure, but even current European local certifications (non pro), up to now obtained on a voluntary basis, will not be retained. In other words, everyone who wants to fly a drone above 250 grams will have to pass the online exam (40 questions - should not be too difficult), in some countries that's already available. This will have to be done in the European country of residence and it will be valid across Europe. Switzerland has not yet set up any procedure to this end (New drone regulation)

Insurance (i.e. mandatory 3rd party liability cover, minimum 1m usd capital insured) is easy to buy. Most of the traditional insurers already offer (or will) that. In CH, the cost is around 100 usd for one year.

Last edited:
I suggest stealth flying when possible. The E2P is relatively quiet and people don’t notice it much above 100 feet. Fly from standing in shade (also better screen visibility) and don’t hang around after landing. But I do get LAANC approval here, and Velcro on three LED flashing three-mile anti-collision lights.

I suggest stealth flying when possible. The E2P is relatively quiet and people don’t notice it much above 100 feet. Fly from standing in shade (also better screen visibility) and don’t hang around after landing. But I do get LAANC approval here, and Velcro on three LED flashing three-mile anti-collision lights.
Thanks. That’s interesting. From much of the footage I have seen, I thought the US would be the best, so much landscape and nobody would complain if someone flies too near or fast. Am I wrong? What would the concern be, privacy? What altitude would you suggest, like 300 feet?

So far I did 3 flights in low mountains with not so many people around. Just to learn the basics (no filming), novice mode mostly. But in each flight I took off and landed 4-5 times and hovering over me at 10 feet, just to practice. So not really stealth...

Hi Clarence! Welcome to the fold (from Washington State).
I've found that running the screen/voice recorder on my iPad really helps me remember and understand what was going on during the flight. You should check to see if you have that option with your setup.
You are on the right track to understanding your local regulations. Here in the US, we will also be facing more stringent regulations soon.

Reactions: Clarence(CH)
Hi Clarence! Welcome to the fold (from Washington State).
I've found that running the screen/voice recorder on my iPad really helps me remember and understand what was going on during the flight. You should check to see if you have that option with your setup.
You are on the right track to understanding your local regulations. Here in the US, we will also be facing more stringent regulations soon.
Thank you Rubik3x, I will try that, that sounds helpful.

Hello,
Simon from Switzerland (Zurich), 48. I m a total newbie and just bought a Evo 2 pro 6k as a beginner's drone.
Hope it's a good idea :). I'm scared to even unbox it and find a nearby field to learn more. Even with so many nice landscapes around, people here are apparently not so favorable to drones and regulations (relatively straightforward in Switzerland) is changing across entire Europe as from Jan 2021 (online exams, max 390ft altitude, min 500ft from any residential areas and tons more..)

Simon
Hello and welcom from France Simon :)
I had several conversations with AUTEL ROBOTICS, they are in the process of developing a firmware allowing the integration of the electronic reporting beacon, which is currently compulsory in Europe. Is the electronic reporting beacon compulsory in Switzerland too?

Hello and welcom from France Simon :)
I had several conversations with AUTEL ROBOTICS, they are in the process of developing a firmware allowing the integration of the electronic reporting beacon, which is currently compulsory in Europe. Is the electronic reporting beacon compulsory in Switzerland too?
Hi BenCham,

Thanks. I have been following this with interest, how do you retro fit a transponder to a drone already on the market? Is it purely done via software and the existing data link or does it require an installation of a chipset or something else? drones above 900 grams need to have one but regulations are not detailed at all on how to achieve this for drones already in the market.
Switzerland has not even started to adjust to the new European regulation, let alone the most complicated bit about the transponders. Switzerland will surely adopt the EU regulations, probably using the best of the 2 years allowed by the regulators for phase in...

drones above 900 grams need to have one but regulations are not detailed at all on how to achieve this for drones already in the market.
Switzerland has not even started to adjust to the new European regulation, let alone the most complicated bit about the transponders. Switzerland will surely adopt the EU regulations, probably using the best of the 2 years allowed by the regulators for phase in...

You don´t need it during the transition period until end of 2022 for those already on the market. Latest until then, Autel will add that feature. They know about the EU regulations

Hi BenCham,

Thanks. I have been following this with interest, how do you retro fit a transponder to a drone already on the market? Is it purely done via software and the existing data link or does it require an installation of a chipset or something else? drones above 900 grams need to have one but regulations are not detailed at all on how to achieve this for drones already in the market.
Hi Simon
Since November 01 in France we must have a transponder, external or internal.
"DJI" has already integrated this function with a firmware update for some models (Mavic 2Pro, Phantom 4 PRO V2 ...).
I'm currently discussing with the developers of AUTEL, I said that now it's urgent for European users. I got the answer last night from AUTEL, they are preparing an update with the transponder function, but I don't know when it will arrive ....
Today, we can use external transponder to fly: "Beacon Standard - Dronavia", but it costs 199 € !!!,
So, I prefer to wait because it's very expensive :)
Quite simply, if your drone weighs more than 800g, you must have internal or external beacon since November 01, 2020. The invoice is 135 € if the police catch you without a beacon !!
For the transition period, nothing is certain, maybe 2023, not sure...
If you want to read and translate the interesting page: "Signalement électronique à distance : l’état des lieux, DJI, les balises externes".
Finally, it is possible that each country adopts its own law. So possible a European law and a law by country ... !!!
To start, you have to do a training, answer questions and then register your drone, I did it! "
After that ... good flight :)

You don´t need it during the transition period until end of 2022 for those already on the market. Latest until then, Autel will add that feature. They know about the EU regulations
Yes Simon, I got the answer last night from AUTEL, they are preparing an update with the transponder function, but I don't know when it will arrive ....?

Yes Simon, I got the answer last night from AUTEL, they are preparing an update with the transponder function, but I don't know when it will arrive ....?
Let‘s hope they will release this function soon. Thanks for the clarification of the regulatory framework in France. Europe is a bit of a chaos. I think Switzerland will take some time to introduce the norms.

Hello,

Simon
Ciao Clarence,
benvenuto (wellcome)

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials