Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Headset for the EVO and tablet.

I did it!!! Best part is, lag is almost non existant and it's 100% wireless.View attachment 3685
I did it!!! Best part is, lag is almost non existant and it's 100% wireless.View attachment 3685
There are options for FPV head gear. I may try the FXT Viper 2 and put an old android phone in it connected to Evo controller no VR or head tracking. I need reader glasses to see things close up. It seems the Viper headset has mirrors that allow better focal point and supports glasses. For now I use cheap 8 inch android tablet that has HDMI out to white DJI headset . Tiny bit of lag, cable is thick and the image isn't as sharp as using it with Mavic Pro 1 but it works.
The phone in Viper headset connected to controller without VR mode may be best for me. I like the idea of using screen mirror like Ansia did with TV. There are apps to do this android to android and ditch the HDMI cable but not sure about the lag. If your flying high enough and you should be, these are not racers! Lag won't be an issue. The android to android screen mirror apps work on wifi and bluetooth not sure if the phone near controller antennas will cause much of a problem and reduce range. Blue tooth is lower power than wifi so it may be worth a try.

Sounds good, but I don’t understand. If you use the tablet with HDMI out to the DJI headset, then you have used the ONE port from the tablet. Then how do you plug in the Autel RC to the tablet? By a y-type adapter?

Sounds good, but I don’t understand. If you use the tablet with HDMI out to the DJI headset, then you have used the ONE port from the tablet. Then how do you plug in the Autel RC to the tablet? By a y-type adapter?
You connect the RC to the tablet with a micro usb into the charging port, then use the hdmi port for the goggles.

The tablet im using has a mini HDMI port built in. So I use the mini USB port between tablet and controller then HDMI from tablet to headsets own HDMI port. No adaptor needed. I have flysight goggles for FPV racing and they have HDMI as well. Image quality in DJI headset is much better and I can wear reader glasses to help focus. The tablet I found is the 8 inch Dragon Touch for $80 on amazon. Its not the best but does the job. Google Play says its not compatible with the Explorer app but it works if you download the Explorer APK file from Autel web sight and side load it. Now im trying Android to Android screen share apps to use wifi and share the tablets screen running Explorer to another tablet in a non VR headset so there is no HDMI cable. I found a screen share app thats working so far with a tiny bit of lag but cant test if flight range is affected till the weather clears.

Reactions: Ansia
The tablet im using has a mini HDMI port built in. So I use the mini USB port between tablet and controller then HDMI from tablet to headsets own HDMI port. No adaptor needed. I have flysight goggles for FPV racing and they have HDMI as well. Image quality in DJI headset is much better and I can wear reader glasses to help focus. The tablet I found is the 8 inch Dragon Touch for $80 on amazon. Its not the best but does the job. Google Play says its not compatible with the Explorer app but it works if you download the Explorer APK file from Autel web sight and side load it. Now im trying Android to Android screen share apps to use wifi and share the tablets screen running Explorer to another tablet in a non VR headset so there is no HDMI cable. I found a screen share app thats working so far with a tiny bit of lag but cant test if flight range is affected till the weather clears.
Is that the Kid's tablet? ??

oops I got it from Walmart
Awww~! I was kinda hoping it was this one.

Nice tablet you got there. How does it fit in the Evo's controller? My 10" Tablet is just to damn heavy and I can't use it.

Awww~! I was kinda hoping it was this one.
View attachment 3825

Nice tablet you got there. How does it fit in the Evo's controller? My 10" Tablet is just to damn heavy and I can't use it.
Funny :) , its fair, it wont fit in holder. Had to double stick tape it to a old phone case. Then attach lanyard, it is light.

Jmbsmt63 got me thinking. The newer Explorer apps may not work on this tablet. You will have to side load the APK, Im not running on beta and most tablet back lights are not as bright as a cell phone or the gold plated super expensive DJI CrystalSky.

Jmbsmt63 got me thinking. The newer Explorer apps may not work on this tablet. You will have to side load the APK, Im not running on beta and most tablet back lights are not as bright as a cell phone or the gold plated super expensive DJI CrystalSky.
Have you tried and verified it doesn't work? Perhaps it will.

Edit: Basically what they say is that if your tablet can run Kitkat 4.4 or better, it should run Autel Explorer app.

Last edited:
Have you tried and verified it doesn't work? Perhaps it will.
not yet, no rush to update and still working on the wireless screen share to headset project.Im more of a FPV flyer not so much the videographer like most users. If Attitude mode is added to new firmware or Autel can better tune Ludicrous mode then i will update. Not crazy about blocking GPS ant with foil to force Atti. Id prefer the ability to switch beteween modes mid flight with a button . GPS mode will add saftey and redundancy to get back home. I don't want to misguide anyone about that tablet. I took a chance buyung it and si far it does what I need it to do.

It works with some range limit.
Wireless video feed for FPV or taking a passenger with you. Most android tablets and phones support Screen mirror, Screen Share or Cast to push its screen image to a smart TV over a kind of ad hoc wifi connection. So if you want to share your live flight image with someone wireless you can drag a TV with you or even a pocket projector at night if course or install a app to share the screen Android to Android. I haven't tested this with IOS and probably won't for so many reasons. I found a free app with no adds as far I can tell called ApowerMirror. Im using 2 Android phones with no carrier service running the app. One connected to the Evo controller the other in a cheap non VR headset I had collecting dust. The phone running Explorer app is also running the android Tether app and headset phone is connected to it by wifi. once they are connected I get a Tether error because there is no internet but they are still connected. I start the ApowerMirror app on each and press the connection button on controller phone with Explorer running on it. This will be the server that shares its screen then press the ApowerMirror connect button on headset phone and boom its done. After that startup the Explorer app on controller phone and its mirrored to the headset. The lag is minimal its unnoticeable to the passenger and usable to the pilot for FPV even if your low moving fast. Just be careful.
There is a downside... In my test the range was reduced. 1800 feet out at 380 feet up I started losing signal in a residential area. So I turned off the Tether app on controller phone and got all but 2 bars im thinking if I turned off wifi on headset phone i could have regained all signal bars but I didn't try it because the mosquitoes were eating me alive! So if your lucky to have 2 android phones or tablets around that will run this app you can have wireless image feed for a non VR headset or large tablet on tripod for others to watch. Hope this helps anyone looking for a 2nd wireless screen to display the flight footage up to 1800 feet away give or take depending on your area and phone/tablet models used. Your experience may differ depending on your devices and experience using tether. There may be a learning curve for some, good luck happy flying!

It works with some range limit.
Wireless video feed for FPV or taking a passenger with you. Most android tablets and phones support Screen mirror, Screen Share or Cast to push its screen image to a smart TV over a kind of ad hoc wifi connection. So if you want to share your live flight image with someone wireless you can drag a TV with you or even a pocket projector at night if course or install a app to share the screen Android to Android. I haven't tested this with IOS and probably won't for so many reasons. I found a free app with no adds as far I can tell called ApowerMirror. Im using 2 Android phones with no carrier service running the app. One connected to the Evo controller the other in a cheap non VR headset I had collecting dust. The phone running Explorer app is also running the android Tether app and headset phone is connected to it by wifi. once they are connected I get a Tether error because there is no internet but they are still connected. I start the ApowerMirror app on each and press the connection button on controller phone with Explorer running on it. This will be the server that shares its screen then press the ApowerMirror connect button on headset phone and boom its done. After that startup the Explorer app on controller phone and its mirrored to the headset. The lag is minimal its unnoticeable to the passenger and usable to the pilot for FPV even if your low moving fast. Just be careful.
There is a downside... In my test the range was reduced. 1800 feet out at 380 feet up I started losing signal in a residential area. So I turned off the Tether app on controller phone and got all but 2 bars im thinking if I turned off wifi on headset phone i could have regained all signal bars but I didn't try it because the mosquitoes were eating me alive! So if your lucky to have 2 android phones or tablets around that will run this app you can have wireless image feed for a non VR headset or large tablet on tripod for others to watch. Hope this helps anyone looking for a 2nd wireless screen to display the flight footage up to 1800 feet away give or take depending on your area and phone/tablet models used. Your experience may differ depending on your devices and experience using tether. There may be a learning curve for some, good luck happy flying!
I made a whole thread about this and had an interesting discussion with @thomasr. You should give it a read.

I made a whole thread about this and had an interesting discussion with @thomasr. You should give it a read.

Good read ?
Im guessing once the new beta firmware is pushed as completed or now with the beta firmware and updated Explorer app the 2nd Learner controller will have its own video feed out to streamline the extra video monitor setup or that Live Deck. Im looking forward to that with the multi charger!!!

Good read ?
Im guessing once the new beta firmware is pushed as completed or now with the beta firmware and updated Explorer app the 2nd Learner controller will have its own video feed out to streamline the extra video monitor setup or that Live Deck. Im looking forward to that with the multi charger!!!
Yes, but I saved myself $300 on a controller and $100-$150 on the Live Deck, by doing it with my laptop.

Yes, but I saved myself $300 on a controller and $100-$150 on the Live Deck, by doing it with my laptop.
I understand that. Why spend the cash if you can use what you have and learn something along the way. If the Live Deck is as good as it seems then I'll buy that for sure. Even if it doesn't boost the range it can be elevated and the higher off the ground you're receiver the better. My race buddies make fun of me for using a triple diverse video Rx on a mop pole attached to my chair. They all have the latest Fatshark goggles and diverse Rx's but I still get the best range on 200mw. They call it my staff of sight ?

A pair of modified Samsung VR goggles work great for flying VR. Turn on FPV mode in EVO software / Connect cell phone to controller / slide cell phone into goggles, and fly FPV. It really is that simple. I've read that Android phones are better for flying FPV with the EVO vs IOS, as the software hasn't caught up with IOS specifics.

I tried the Zeiss VR One Plus headset today with a Samsung J7 - 5.5 inch screen and I have to say it was too pixelated. Even if your phone could have a higher res and the J7 isnt bad. The VR mode doesnt use all of the screen so there are less pixels used to create the image. Adjusting the image with the slider on Explorer app helps some but cutts off the image on edges and its still pixeled. My 800*600 FPV goggles for racing looks better with a 700 line camera with static !. The image is better when I use the DJI white headset getting its image from the x80 Dragon touch tablet with mini HDMI out. The is a tiny bit of lag but not enough to make a difference at high altitude. I do like the the simplicity of using one device with one cable to VR headset. Its just too bad the resolution isnt there. Even the x80 Tablet HDMI to DJI white headset doesnt look as good as using occusync from Mavic pro... Thats the best experience ever. I bet making a foamboard box to hold your phone without VR mode would be best for full immersion. I found using a pair of x2 readers helps enlarge the image without oversized pixels. Hope this helps anyone searching for solutions. Ill be building the foamboard box to hold a phone next using x2 or x3 readers without VR mode. Only problem, the box will need a finger hole to get rid of pop ups created by Explorer app.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials