Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Headset for the EVO and tablet.

I tried the Zeiss VR One Plusheadset today with a Samsung J7 - 5.5 inch screen and I have to say it was too pixelated. Even if your phone could have a higher res and the J7 isnt bad. The VR mode doesnt use all of the screen so there are less pixels used to create the image. Adjusting the image with the slider on Explorer app helps some but cutts off the image on edges and its still pixeled. My 800*600 FPV goggles for racing looks better with a 700 line camera with static !. The image is better when I use the DJI white headset getting its image from the x80 Dragon touch tablet with mini HDMI out. The is a tiny bit of lag but not enough to make a difference at high altitude. I do like the the simplicity of using one device with one cable to VR headset. Its just too bad the resolution isnt there. Even the x80 Tablet HDMI to DJI white headset doesnt look as good as using occusync from Mavic pro... Thats the best experience ever. I bet making a foamboard box to hold your phone without VR mode would be best for full immersion. I found using a pair of x2 readers helps enlarge the image without oversized pixels. Hope this helps anyone searching for solutions. Ill be building the foamboard box to hold a phone next using x2 or x3 readers without VR mode. Only problem, the box will need a finger hole to get rid of pop ups created by Explorer app.
It's called the Viper XT goggles, I use them with my phone and there is no pixels, clean crisp 1080p straight from the phone. Its like your sitting in a theater.
Solution to your VR problems.. Get these goggles keep your phone in standard view WORKS GREAT!

Reactions: AtomX
I tried the Zeiss VR One Plusheadset today with a Samsung J7 - 5.5 inch screen and I have to say it was too pixelated. Even if your phone could have a higher res and the J7 isnt bad. The VR mode doesnt use all of the screen so there are less pixels used to create the image. Adjusting the image with the slider on Explorer app helps some but cutts off the image on edges and its still pixeled. My 800*600 FPV goggles for racing looks better with a 700 line camera with static !. The image is better when I use the DJI white headset getting its image from the x80 Dragon touch tablet with mini HDMI out. The is a tiny bit of lag but not enough to make a difference at high altitude. I do like the the simplicity of using one device with one cable to VR headset. Its just too bad the resolution isnt there. Even the x80 Tablet HDMI to DJI white headset doesnt look as good as using occusync from Mavic pro... Thats the best experience ever. I bet making a foamboard box to hold your phone without VR mode would be best for full immersion. I found using a pair of x2 readers helps enlarge the image without oversized pixels. Hope this helps anyone searching for solutions. Ill be building the foamboard box to hold a phone next using x2 or x3 readers without VR mode. Only problem, the box will need a finger hole to get rid of pop ups created by Explorer app.

Interesting. How do you think a Samsung Galaxy S8+ would do in conjunction with the FPV feature and Explorer software, with the Autel EVO ? When using the Box style FPV goggles, I traditinally use a pair of modified Samsung Gear VR Goggles.

Interesting. How do you think a Samsung Galaxy S8+ would do in conjunction with the FPV feature and Explorer software, with the Autel EVO ? When using the Box style FPV goggles, I traditinally use a pair of modified Samsung Gear VR Goggles.
I bet the Samsung VR works well, S8 has near double the pixels per sqaure inch as the J7 and if the S8 fits FXT viper goggles then you'll have a good headset,just no head tracking but have all the pixels working with a full screen image.
Im guessing the Viper goggles only support up to 5 inch screen. I do like the VR One Plus phone tray.

I bet the Samsung VR works well, S8 has near double the pixels per sqaure inch as the J7 and if the S8 fits FXT viper goggles then you'll have a good headset,just no head tracking but have all the pixels working with a full screen image.
Im guessing the Viper goggles only support up to 5 inch screen. I do like the VR One Plus phone tray.
I still use my Samsung Galaxy S5, works great with a phone protector.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtomX
Sadly the controller will only allow 1 video source. So in order to get the a HDMI and a screen working, both will need to be connected to the same port. The next test would be to try one of those hdmi to micro usb or usb c adapters. I currently don't own one, but I have found that you can transfer data through the power port of the adapter. Perhaps connect the evo controller there and just mirror image what's in the phone to the goggles or tv.
Since the Autel Evo controller live video is so good, can goggles be connected to it via the USB out, dispensing with the phone/explorer app altogether ?

Since the Autel Evo controller live video is so good, can goggles be connected to it via the USB out, dispensing with the phone/explorer app altogether ?
I didn't quite understand your question, but from what I think you asked, if you can fit your phone into the goggles, then you can connect that to your controller. You need the Explorer app to decode the video source.

Reactions: Madhungarian
I can't tell if you have answered my question. (LOL)
Doesn't the controller also decode the video ? How else do we see it on the controller screen ? I had wondered whether connecting the controller (USB) to a goggles (HDMI) input would make the video available there, without connecting the phone at all.

You need the Explorer app to decode the video feed on your goggles or cellphone. Yes the controller decodes the video feed, but it won't decode the video and send it to your device. Basically what it does is instead of allowing the controller to decode the feed, it sends it directly to the device, where is decoded. If you use an old device which is OS 6 or earlier, you will have video lag, because it cannot keep up with the required hardware. If the controller was the one decoding, then any device that could run a youtube video, would be able to show you the feed.
I can't tell if you have answered my question. (LOL)
Doesn't the controller also decode the video ? How else do we see it on the controller screen ? I had wondered whether connecting the controller (USB) to a goggles (HDMI) input would make the video available there, without connecting the phone at all.

Hi all.
I notice that this post is a year old and i'm now up to buying a headset.

Has technology evolved since then to allow a simple FPV hook up to my EVO.? I have an OPPO phone and a Samsung A tablet.

I had a look at comparison headsets on you tube videos and Skyzone comes to mind as one that might be OK.

What FPVs are fellow pilots using.

My intention was to be able to connect a quality headset so “ passengers” could have a FPV experience. And the VR mode included in the Explorer App is for android users only and the 10 dollar crappy box. And the new Epson Moverio glasses would be nice to use, but only DJI compatible I believe.
The Moverio BT-300 glasses work with the Evo. Strictly speaking, they are augmented reality rather than FPV.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skygod34