Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Grass takeoffs

Flipkal

Reaction score
I’m a newbie and embarrassed to ask this question. I have a landing pad on order, but couldn’t wait to get my Evo off on her maiden launch. I set it up on a nearby lawn, turned on the motors, and tried to take off. First thing I noticed was the motors shut off probably due to the grass hitting the propellers. This happened several times. I tried pulling up the grass around the props. Mind you, this lawn was just cut, but was about 2” long. When I was able to initiate a takeoff, the rear props “dug” into the ground and the drone flipped over and stopped. I’m glad no one saw this or heard me shout F&#@! at top volume. This happened a couple of times, And, it took off a few times too. Am I doing something wrong, or is the Evo that finicky about the grass length when trying to initiate a takeoff?

I’m a newbie and embarrassed to ask this question. I have a landing pad on order, but couldn’t wait to get my Evo off on her maiden launch. I set it up on a nearby lawn, turned on the motors, and tried to take off. First thing I noticed was the motors shut off probably due to the grass hitting the propellers. This happened several times. I tried pulling up the grass around the props. Mind you, this lawn was just cut, but was about 2” long. When I was able to initiate a takeoff, the rear props “dug” into the ground and the drone flipped over and stopped. I’m glad no one saw this or heard me shout F&#@! at top volume. This happened a couple of times, And, it took off a few times too. Am I doing something wrong, or is the Evo that finicky about the grass length when trying to initiate a takeoff?
I take off from grassy surface much of the time, but never from long or spongy grass such as a soft lawn. Also the takeoff area should be as flat and level as possible. I’ve never had a “tip over” with the Evo, though I have with a Phantom 4 on its longer legs. I do have a landing pad but don’t much like it, except for the fact that it is a very distinct ‘Home’ identifier to aid Return To Home and precision landing.

also be aware that you camera gimbal needs to go through its little dance.You dont want it to hit anything. I took off from tall grass yesterday. i had my landing pad on it but it was still really humped. i had to actually hold the landing pad down flat while the camera was doing its thing.

Reactions: Alaska
I take off from grassy surface much of the time, but never from long or spongy grass such as a soft lawn. Also the takeoff area should be as flat and level as possible. I’ve never had a “tip over” with the Evo, though I have with a Phantom 4 on its longer legs. I do have a landing pad but don’t much like it, except for the fact that it is a very distinct ‘Home’ identifier to aid Return To Home and precision landing.
I think the level-ness of the ground was a factor here. Thanks for the insight.

Reactions: Nightbat2
also be aware that you camera gimbal needs to go through its little dance.You dont want it to hit anything. I took off from tall grass yesterday. i had my landing pad on it but it was still really humped. i had to actually hold the landing pad down flat while the camera was doing its thing.
Maybe this is why the motors shut off since the gimbal movement was definitely impacted by the grass. My pad arrives tomorrow and hopefully this issue will be past me (and I’ll be dealing with another ?). Thank you.

Reactions: gasquetmike
You can use a piece of cardboard for a launchpad. It will take the grass away and put a smile on your face.
I was too lazy to cross the street and get a makeshift pad. Lesson learned. Thanks.

Also, I highly recommend that you avoid landing or taking off from a dirt surface ... the amount of dust those props can kick up can choke the internal ventilation system of the drone!
(you are not the only one who was too eagar to fly :rolleyes: :cool:)

You have two options for start from tall grass.
Find a place who you can start the propellers but be sure there’s not obstacles for initialize the gimbal .
Then you can try to take the drone by the roof and after you can make a launch hand .look at that

You’ve diagnosed the problem. Your solution is launch from a level spot that is free from anything that would interfere with propellers or camera gimbal.

Reactions: YYC_Ron
You have two options for start from tall grass.
Find a place who you can start the propellers but be sure there’s not obstacles for initialize the gimbal .
Then you can try to take the drone by the roof and after you can make a launch hand .look at that
Too bad EVO can't be hand launched anymore, unlike every DJI aircraft!

Try the new beta with boat mode. It will allow hand launch.
That's encouraging, and a step forward! Boneheaded to have precluded it before!
However, I won't be installing any Autel Beta. The terms of use state that ALL risk of loss of aircraft from bugs in Beta software are on ME, and Autel expressly disclaims all liability! Also, the Beta CANNOT be rolled back! :oops:

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingraja