Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Gimbal issue

Nightbat2

Reaction score
Noticed my Evo had developed a bit of an horizon tilt so today I recalibrated the gimbal, using the relevant command in Evo Explorer. The first time nothing happened, so I did it again. I had the bird set on a table which is pretty level—though I don’t have a spirit level to check exactly. Took it for a flight and noticed as it hovered in front of me that the camera was tilting down to the drone’s left. Moving the gimbal dial brought it up, but it remained tilted to the left. I then shot a short video: the left front prop appears in shot even when moving straight ahead, becoming horrible when turning left. The right prop cannot be seen at all. Does this sound like a serious issue or should. I try another recalibration. My gimbal firmware is V1.1.1.8, the camera firmware V0.0.1.99.

Noticed my Evo had developed a bit of an horizon tilt so today I recalibrated the gimbal, using the relevant command in Evo Explorer.

Does this sound like a serious issue or should. I try another recalibration. My gimbal firmware is V1.1.1.8, the camera firmware V0.0.1.99.

Try to re-calibrate -- if no luck -- contact Autel Support and provide information. I am in process of gimbal issues and they are working with me. I am getting more video uploaded for them to see -- from upgrading to the BETA firmware. They asked me to try if it would resolve anything. It did not.

Reactions: Nightbat2
Try to re-calibrate -- if no luck -- contact Autel Support and provide information. I am in process of gimbal issues and they are working with me. I am getting more video uploaded for them to see -- from upgrading to the BETA firmware. They asked me to try if it would resolve anything. It did not.
Yes, I’ve also copied support in the US.

Try the calibration again and it that doesn't respond, re-do the latest firmware manually and then try the calibration again.
If all that doesn't work...time to call Autel
I have found that if you need to contact Autel, a phone call will result in immediate contact with someone but an email does not...

Try the calibration again and it that doesn't respond, re-do the latest firmware manually and then try the calibration again.
If all that doesn't work...time to call Autel
I have found that if you need to contact Autel, a phone call will result in immediate contact with someone but an email does not...
Got a fast email response from Autel who asked me to email a video clip showing the effect of the problem and they also suggested another recal, which I’ve done. About to take it up for another test.

BTW, when they say put the bird on a level surface, they really mean it! On one end of our dining table it wouldn’t recalibrate, with a message along the lines of the drone was not in a position level enough to calibrate. I moved it a foot and the process began...

Reactions: thomasr
Got a fast email response from Autel who asked me to email a video clip showing the effect of the problem and they also suggested another recal, which I’ve done. About to take it up for another test.

BTW, when they say put the bird on a level surface, they really mean it! On one end of our dining table it wouldn’t recalibrate, with a message along the lines of the drone was not in a position level enough to calibrate. I moved it a foot and the process began...

I was getting "Gimbal not ready, do not fly" errors before I upgraded it to the BETA firmware. Be fore upgrading I was being hit by a known "Firmware Loop" bug where I was upgrading my firmware OTA for a total of (3) times before I questioned Autel as to why it kept saying a new firmware was available. This is when I really started to notice the gimbal acting not so right. It was acting all stupid. re-calibration after another.

I never seen the notice on position when calibrating my gimbal the multiple times on the old firmware -- but it has now been calibrated three times on the new firmware -- and actually warned me during one of those calibrations, as you have described. I picked it up and put it back back down, it is where I have done all other calibrations -- did not complain anymore.

I even sent a video of it setting on the level surface, showing the calibration looks level at one moment - resets the camera again, it is not level -- to be told it "levels itself during flight".

I'm confused as you have to set it on a level surface to "calibrate" it so it knows what level is. So if it thinks it is level, but isn't - that is the problem.

It seems to be OK when it gimbals up and down during the process -- and can follow a straight line very well. It just can't always seem level across the horizon for some reason in my opinion. As in one of the axis's are off.

I did not like my first flight(s) after up-gradeing to BETA - It has always been subjective on my 9 flying days as to if there are problems -- to me the BETA introduced more issues and known bugs. Done nothing to correct the gimbal problem I am complaining about though.

If anything they did finally fix the positioning/calibration -- where the gimbal is not positioned to see the props, when you have it straight up -- while looking across the horizon -- as you are flying along.

I was getting "Gimbal not ready, do not fly" errors before I upgraded it to the BETA firmware. Be fore upgrading I was being hit by a known "Firmware Loop" bug where I was upgrading my firmware OTA for a total of (3) times before I questioned Autel as to why it kept saying a new firmware was available. This is when I really started to notice the gimbal acting not so right. It was acting all stupid. re-calibration after another.

I never seen the notice on position when calibrating my gimbal the multiple times on the old firmware -- but it has now been calibrated three times on the new firmware -- and actually warned me during one of those calibrations, as you have described. I picked it up and put it back back down, it is where I have done all other calibrations -- did not complain anymore.

I even sent a video of it setting on the level surface, showing the calibration looks level at one moment - resets the camera again, it is not level -- to be told it "levels itself during flight".

I'm confused as you have to set it on a level surface to "calibrate" it so it knows what level is. So if it thinks it is level, but isn't - that is the problem.

It seems to be OK when it gimbals up and down during the process -- and can follow a straight line very well. It just can't always seem level across the horizon for some reason in my opinion. As in one of the axis's are off.

I did not like my first flight(s) after up-gradeing to BETA - It has always been subjective on my 9 flying days as to if there are problems -- to me the BETA introduced more issues and known bugs. Done nothing to correct the gimbal problem I am complaining about though.

If anything they did finally fix the positioning/calibration -- where the gimbal is not positioned to see the props, when you have it straight up -- while looking across the horizon -- as you are flying along.
Took it for a short test—around 15 minutes—and got in some swift turns both ways to see whether the left front prop still appears. It does on the left turns but not as bad as it was. Also, the horizon is still tending to look off level. Hard to say by how much as I live on top of a plateau with lots of rises and humps. I reckon it needs more work.

Took it for a short test—around 15 minutes—and got in some swift turns both ways to see whether the left front prop still appears. It does on the left turns but not as bad as it was. Also, the horizon is still tending to look off level. Hard to say by how much as I live on top of a plateau with lots of rises and humps. I reckon it needs more work.

Autel has suggested a better take-off point from the video I showed them -- in other words, another day of flying.

They also mentioned terrain as being "what" I was seeing... It is hilly in and around the area -- but for the most part... everything is at certain "level" heights.

All of my flights, if high enough - if I yaw all the way around, I will usually capture some of the same landmarks. That is what I meant earlier by "subjective". Some horizons look good and others look off -- in my opinion. And as mentioned to Autel -- as I review all the video over again -- it seems like it was a problem from Day 1.

There was a known gimbal gripe circulating at the time I bought my Evo.

I knew it was not right on the first day - but I also screwed up and left my zoom on for the entire video -- there is only 15 seconds of usable video from that flight. Everything can be blamed on it being zoomed in.

My second flight definitely looked better. So I've kept at it learning the camera and flight system. As previously mentioned -- there seems to be a lot of "known" bugs anytime I communicate with Autel.

I had to calibrate the compass between the 2nd and 3rd flight - one time., so at that point, in the following days -- I did re-calibrate the gimbal. I follow directions of the earlier mentioned gimbal gripe -- and found a level spot in the house and calibrated it three times.

It was not getting my attention again until my 5 - 7 flight, in between the "firmware loop" bug that week or so all together.

Once I figure out the proper "forum" header to post -- I will post my last video I put together -- it has all the flight info all one screen. I know there is a Video section here, but my post is more about "Help/Evaluation" purposes. I am also taking a few minute clips of my first and second flights for demonstration.

Last edited:
Autel has suggested a better take-off point from the video I showed them -- in other words, another day of flying.

They also mentioned terrain as being "what" I was seeing... It is hilly in and around the area -- but for the most part... everything is at certain "level" heights.

All of my flights, if high enough - if I yaw all the way around, I will usually capture some of the same landmarks. That is what I meant earlier by "subjective". Some horizons look good and others look off -- in my opinion.
Sounds familiar

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials