Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Getting wifi

Shadowwalker

Reaction score
I have a yuneec breeze a dji spark and a dji Air.The dji drones make me have to drive miles to fly them because of NFZ which I respect but I want to fly around my yard at low altitudes and the dji drones won’t even start.
The yuneec breeze is almost impossible if not impossible to get going because of not finding WiFi.I am looking to get the autel evo and wondering how hard is it to get WiFi to operate and if there is any thing I should look out far.

the wifi is between the drone and controller, connects in seconds, you might have to download some maps if you need them,

your drone and controller are like walki talki's and are paired, or bined to each other, to do Live streaming like you would need a connection, you can fly with just the controller and drone,,,,

Thanks everyone for your help it will be a godsend not to keep looking for WiFi for ever too fly my drone.

My tablet is dedicated to my drone and all I need to do is cache my maps before going out if I want maps to show up. So I just connect the tablet to my home wifi before I go out to cache the maps. No wifi or anything else needed. A lot of cell phone users will actually go into airplane mode so they don't get bothered by calls etc...

Reactions: Madhungarian
My tablet is dedicated to my drone and all I need to do is cache my maps before going out if I want maps to show up. So I just connect the tablet to my home wifi before I go out to cache the maps. No wifi or anything else needed. A lot of cell phone users will actually go into airplane mode so they don't get bothered by calls etc...
I am really hoping someone will use that SDK and get the video feed straight from the controller. (if possible)

You don't need wifi to fly.
Still haven’t flown mine with a device other than the controller. Apart from wanting a bigger screen to help judge video angles, I’d have no reason to look for a suitable tablet.

Still haven’t flown mine with a device other than the controller. Apart from wanting a bigger screen to help judge video angles, I’d have no reason to look for a suitable tablet.
Viper box goggles are the way, you can use them without the shade cover and have your phone literally planted right in front of your face. I use a 5 year old Samsung Galaxy S5 which is still my everyday phone.

Reactions: Nightbat2
A phone or tablet = flight logs, zoom and maps that you don't get just using the controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightbat2
Thanks everyone for your help it will be a godsend not to keep looking for WiFi for ever too fly my drone.
I don't understand what you mean by "looking for WIFI forever to fly my drone" ...Are you assuming that you need an internet connection to operate? Are you using a controller with the Breeze or the Spark?
The Breeze, Spark, and Mavic Air have their own WIFI signal that the controller (or phone) connects to. Is that what you mean? You would not have to "look forever" for the drone's WIFI...
Yes the DJI's will not allow you to fly in those zones but you should still be able to connect with no internet.
And, yes the EVO will fly (with a warning) in those zones.

I don't understand what you mean by "looking for WIFI forever to fly my drone" ...Are you assuming that you need an internet connection to operate? Are you using a controller with the Breeze or the Spark?
The Breeze, Spark, and Mavic Air have their own WIFI signal that the controller (or phone) connects to. Is that what you mean? You would not have to "look forever" for the drone's WIFI...
Yes the DJI's will not allow you to fly in those zones but you should still be able to connect with no internet.
And, yes the EVO will fly (with a warning) in those zones.
You do need to find WiFi with the breeze to fly it whether it is with the controller or without the controller.
Finding the WiFi signal is almost impossible with the breeze.
The Mavic Air or the spark does not have the problem except I’m in a NFZ and don’t want to drive miles to fly all the time.

The word 'wifi' is a bit ambiguous. Usually, when people are 'looking for wifi', they're looking for a wifi internet connection. But wifi is also used to communicate between devices, such as a smart phone and a drone. That wifi connection doesn't necessarily involve the internet at all.

So, to fly a Breeze with a smart phone, you look for a list of wifi connections on your phone, and the Breeze should be there (if it's powered on and close enough). You select it and the two machines connect, sharing data through the wifi connection. You should be able to make this connection in the middle of the desert with no internet wifi connections around. It's only a connection between the phone and the drone.

Never owned a Breeze, but from what I hear they can only connect through 5ghz, not 2.4ghz, so if your phone or tablet doesn't work with 5ghz, it's not going to recognize the Breeze.

The word 'wifi' is a bit ambiguous. Usually, when people are 'looking for wifi', they're looking for a wifi internet connection. But wifi is also used to communicate between devices, such as a smart phone and a drone. That wifi connection doesn't necessarily involve the internet at all.

So, to fly a Breeze with a smart phone, you look for a list of wifi connections on your phone, and the Breeze should be there (if it's powered on and close enough). You select it and the two machines connect, sharing data through the wifi connection. You should be able to make this connection in the middle of the desert with no internet wifi connections around. It's only a connection between the phone and the drone.

Never owned a Breeze, but from what I hear they can only connect through 5ghz, not 2.4ghz, so if your phone or tablet doesn't work with 5ghz, it's not going to recognize the Breeze.
Thanks for the response but I know all you have written and I am not the only one with this problem.
It might connect after twenty minutes of trying or not connect at all and sometimes a reset works.
I just got tired of fighting it and the evo does not have this problem.

Thanks for the response but I know all you have written and I am not the only one with this problem.
It might connect after twenty minutes of trying or not connect at all and sometimes a reset works.
I just got tired of fighting it and the evo does not have this problem.
So my question is. If your DJI drones won't let you take off, because you are in a Authorization/Restricted zone, how close are you to the airport? Usually DJI's Geofencing will allow you to fly in places where the FAA won't, unless you are within a mile of an airport.

I think part of the communication problem here is your use of the phrase 'finding wifi', which normally is used in reference to finding an internet connection. So those responding were assuming incorrectly you thought you needed an internet connection to fly the drone.

The phrase 'can't connect to the drone' would be more appropriate in this case. Yes, that would be a problem.

Glad to hear you've solved the issue by buying an Evo.

So my question is. If your DJI drones won't let you take off, because you are in a Authorization/Restricted zone, how close are you to the airport? Usually DJI's Geofencing will allow you to fly in places where the FAA won't, unless you are within a mile of an airport.
I believe it’s a couple of miles and when I want to fly my air or spark I usually drive around ten to fifteen miles to find a spot.
I wish that DJI would have just put a height limit in the firmware to be able to fly in your backyard.
There is NFZ software you can buy for DJI made by a Russian company that changes the geofencing to be able to fly but I did not want to go that route.
It did fly in ATI mode a couple of times for awhile before the drone found GPS.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d