Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Found this, Hand launch the EvO

Hello ,

Thank you for reaching out to us at Autel Robotics Support. I would never recommend doing this with your Evo if possible, while it may not immediately put a strain on your motors it will over time. The reason they are able to turn the drone off is because of the over tilt fail safe feature we have built into Evo. While there are some customers who consistently turn off their drones this way, we absolutely do not recommend it.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Best,

Alejandro R.

Customer Support

AUTEL ROBOTICS

For information it is write on the description of the video youtube :

Manual launching technique of the Evo drone is impossible because the new update requires the stabilization of the drone and in addition the action is triggered by lowering the 2 controllers at the same time, therefore impossible to do it directly in a hand. I discovered this accidentally during a takeoffs aboard a boat so I wanted to move it to reposition it, and so he wanted to take off alone.unfortunately nobody took a movie of this scene

I made taking off Evo on a sailboat for a month without update it was a old version this version allowed the engine start on the deck at sea. Also I had in the control settings "transmission of image "or could choose the 3 frequencies 900 MHz 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz I regret that autel has somehow bridled the drone! It's like buying a Porsche and after reviewing it in the Porsche Service Center, then you are informed that there are only one gear ...

So 2 remarks to Autel Robotic, why have removed these options?

1st to start engines with a single button

2nd allow unstable boot again without having "gimbal not ready"

today I regret having made these updates and I am very sad because I can not do it anymore from a boat.

if anyone knows a method to restore the factory firmware ?
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Autel Robotics! There is no way to return to a factory setting. In fact, as a part of the terms of the warranty, the EVO needs to be updated to the most recent version of the firmware This would usually be detrimental as firmware releases also include bug fixes, which if you could revert too could cause unexpected behavior. There were no EVO firmware versions that had anything more than 2.4ghz signaling. Early on in development there was a plan to have 900Mhz and 2.4, but that was not used in the final production model units. The boards, and electronics required for those signal options are not included in the aircraft, or remote controller. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

David Webster

Customer Support Lead

AUTEL ROBOTICS

...Also I had in the control settings "transmission of image "or could choose the 3 frequencies 900 MHz 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
Is no secret that many of us want this back, I certainly do.

The believe the third option was automatic tho, I don't think there was a 5 GHz.

Reactions: Franlac
"There were no EVO firmware versions that had anything more than 2.4ghz signaling. Early on in development there was a plan to have 900Mhz and 2.4, but that was not used in the final production model units. The boards, and electronics required for those signal options are not included in the aircraft, or remote controller...

...Regards,

David Webster

Customer Support Lead

AUTEL ROBOTICS"

So, this is interesting to read. Ive heard several times that the hardware is in fact there, in the consumer version of the drone and remote. Can anyone say with any amount of certainty that this is the case, after this flat out denial by Autel?

This photo shows that it was more than just an idea, it at least had to be installed and operational somewhere at some point!

It had a feature name and location in Autel Explorer.

Screenshot_20190420-190059_Drive.jpg

So as far as the video goes... that's not really a hand launch but it certainly is a good way to get some fingers shredded. Reaching up to grab the drone while it hovers is scary enough. Grabbing it from the top is just stupid IMHO.
I tried again to launch from the deck of my boat about a week ago. This is with the latest firmware (1.3.46).
I don't know if the camera needs to be able to see the horizon or not but if I tried to arm the drone from the deck INSIDE the boat, meaning on the deck below the gunnels, but it's not possible even with almost no boat movement. I tried again from the bow above my anchor locker and I was able to arm the drone on 1 of the 4 attempts. The other 3 tries resulted in gimbal not ready errors. On the one successful startup of the drone I had low confidence in the drone being properly initialized so I didn't actually take off.
Maybe next time.

Maybe this will help.
So as far as the video goes... that's not really a hand launch but it certainly is a good way to get some fingers shredded. Reaching up to grab the drone while it hovers is scary enough. Grabbing it from the top is just stupid IMHO.
I tried again to launch from the deck of my boat about a week ago. This is with the latest firmware (1.3.46).
I don't know if the camera needs to be able to see the horizon or not but if I tried to arm the drone from the deck INSIDE the boat, meaning on the deck below the gunnels, but it's not possible even with almost no boat movement. I tried again from the bow above my anchor locker and I was able to arm the drone on 1 of the 4 attempts. The other 3 tries resulted in gimbal not ready errors. On the one successful startup of the drone I had low confidence in the drone being properly initialized so I didn't actually take off.
Maybe next time.
youtube

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm very familiar with the Seakeeper tech. I've been on boats that have them and they work well . My boat is actually very similar to the 35' Contender in the video. That Seakeeper for the boat in the video is roughly $20K installed. My bet is that the Evo would still have issues with the Seakeeper running on all but the calmest days!

Reactions: Madhungarian
Hello,
Have you read that

Thank you for contacting Autel Robotics! There is no way to return to a factory setting. In fact, as a part of the terms of the warranty, the EVO needs to be updated to the most recent version of the firmware This would usually be detrimental as firmware releases also include bug fixes, which if you could revert too could cause unexpected behavior. There were no EVO firmware versions that had anything more than 2.4ghz signaling. Early on in development there was a plan to have 900Mhz and 2.4, but that was not used in the final production model units. The boards, and electronics required for those signal options are not included in the aircraft, or remote controller. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

David Webster

Customer Support Lead

AUTEL ROBOTICS
Is no secret that many of us want this back, I certainly do.

The believe the third option was automatic tho, I don't think there was a 5 GHz.

Reactions: Apollo11capcom
This is my point exactly. Is the Evo they show in the photographs something other than a production model? It clearly shows components of a 900M radio system.

Unless it was some prototype, idk.. but it seems to me if it's the design they photographed and presented to the FCC for licensing then it would be the same design they're selling... otherwise what's the point?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lmccaskill