Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flying Over Water

bburko01

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Brand new to the forum. I've had my pumpkin since october and haven't had it out much till now.

I am wondering, I read about some settings needing to be changed on other brands of drones when flying over water due to the reflective/moving surface that can absorb sonar from the sensors. I can't seem to find anything online from Autel or other Xstar pilots about this.

Are there any special settings on the Xstar Premium for flying over water?

Many Thanks in advance.

Burk

Reactions: Downunderpilot
You should be able to fly right down to the surface... if you're very careful. But, you not going to land on the water so no need to be that close anyway. I fly over water all the time. Yesterday I was fish spotting with the X-Star and was less than six feet at times. The propellers at that low altitude creates turbulence on the water making it impossible to see anything in the water so, I stay 10-feet or higher. If the water is pretty clear and has no ripples, the camera can really pickup a lot of stuff in the water.

You should be able to fly right down to the surface... if you're very careful. But, you not going to land on the water so no need to be that close anyway. I fly over water all the time. Yesterday I was fish spotting with the X-Star and was less than six feet at times. The propellers at that low altitude creates turbulence on the water making it impossible to see anything in the water so, I stay 10-feet or higher. If the water is pretty clear and has no ripples, the camera can really pickup a lot of stuff in the water.

Never heard of doing that but I guess that would work in a clear water lake. How about using the zoom feature to get a better look, ever try that?

Never heard of doing that but I guess that would work in a clear water lake. How about using the zoom feature to get a better look, ever try that?

Never have used the zoom. The camera provides a pretty clear picture on my Galaxy Tab A 10", and the waters I was over are pretty shallow. No trouble seeing right to the bottom as the Sun was quite high at the time. I was able to see lots of fish, a few turtles, and a snake. Caught the snake swimming across the creek at about 50-feet altitude but I had neglected to turn the camera on for that flight. Wouldn't be the first time I've completed a flight to find the camera was not running!

Reactions: KentA
Here's me flying over water but I was probably about ~ 200 feet above it though :D

Here's me flying over water but I was probably about ~ 200 feet above it though :D
Besides a nice area and vid, first I thought your camera was screwy showing the stabilizer bar, but then realized your genius!
Is that a pool noodle on the stabilizer ?
If it is, great thought, but other than possible recovery of the bird, what of the odds protecting the electronics?
Are they on the arms too?
Even if it is not what I assume, you gave me a good idea
Thx 4 post

I think it was around this time last year a bunch of us were talking about different flotation devices and that was one way of helping your quad stay afloat longer. There was also talk about those water spider floats but I only saw one guy use them and it was not very stable.
I used pool noodles on my Yuneec quads and tried it on the X-Star but you pick up a lot of wind drag IMO.
I have used them in winter in deep snow.

image.jpg DSC_0022.JPG 20170125_104817.jpg

#DroneAnywhere

Attachments

• drone-landing-raft-dronerafts-water-srtider-640x534.jpg
    drone-landing-raft-dronerafts-water-srtider-640x534.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I think it was around this time last year a bunch of us were talking about different flotation devices and that was one way of helping your quad stay afloat longer. There was also talk about those water spider floats but I only saw one guy use them and it was not very stable.
I used pool noodles on my Yuneec quads and tried it on the X-Star but you pick up a lot of wind drag IMO.
I have used them in winter in deep snow.

View attachment 2241 View attachment 2242 View attachment 2243

#DroneAnywhere
Good ideas
Thx

I started making this one but for some reason never finished it. It looked like the best and cheapest way to go. Probably had something to do with landing Quads on water. Not something they were designed to do LOL

I started making this one but for some reason never finished it. It looked like the best and cheapest way to go. Probably had something to do with landing Quads on water. Not something they were designed to do LOL

Awesome
Do Not forget the lids!! Lol

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Has anyone thought of using the foam pads that come with the GoPros? They are small and of the same orange. If places on the top at various points, may be worth it. Only problem I can see is that it would likely be more of a permanent setup unless one uses velco-strips.

Besides a nice area and vid, first I thought your camera was screwy showing the stabilizer bar, but then realized your genius!
Is that a pool noodle on the stabilizer ?
If it is, great thought, but other than possible recovery of the bird, what of the odds protecting the electronics?
Are they on the arms too?
Even if it is not what I assume, you gave me a good idea
Thx 4 post
Augustine was correct with the drag. And yes, it is a pool noodle cut to size, The only problem I encountered was that flying it from the ground I think the sensors thought that it was still on the ground when I believe it detected the pool noodle, so the first time I launched it, it just kept on ascending instead of the default hover around 5 feet, I had to literally pull it back - got scared that it was going to keep ascending as it didn't respond initially but I was able to regain control. This only happened once though. I may try other types of flotation device.

Reactions: Bace14
No there is no setting to change. The starpoint module only works to I think its 9 feet so any refection above that really does not matter. I have flown over water low many times with no problems.
Of course, it can be risky flying low over water waves, not only because of fluctuating sonar measurements, but also because wave heights often vary greatly from wave-to-wave which could cause a low-flying-machine to suddenly become a submarine. I have taken some great videos flying low over large ocean waves breaking along the surf, but have been constantly aware of the risks and so far have managed to not get low enough to have a problem.

Reactions: Bace14

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy