Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Fly around Havre De Grace in Maryland

Tom Z

Reaction score
Anyone from Maryland or just anyone ever fly in and around Havre De Grace.

Was hoping to get some nice footage and saw someone on youtube has some but looking at the sectional charts it appears that the whole area is a Class E airspace and if I am reading things correctly it's from the surface up.

Anyone know for sure if I am reading it right?

thanks
Tom

I am nearby in Delaware and you are getting into complex airspace. A lot of things going on over there from floatplane bases, military, civilian airfields, gliders, and even restricted airspace. The reason the airspace goes down to the ground is that there are instrument approaches into Pillips AAF extending over your POI. Your only way around this is maybe with a waiver since the town is outside the restricted airspace, however, depending on the runway in use, it is directly under an approach course. Good luck. Tell us how it goes.

Here is the interactive map:ArcGIS Web Application

IMG_7471.jpg

Last edited:
that is exactly what I was thinking, but the airport is more than 6 miles away from Havre De Grace. And looking at the top border of the Class E airspace that is more than 10 miles away from the airport.

This is really stupid. There is no way a plane heading to Phillips airport is going to be at 400' or close to it 6 - 10 miles away from the landing strip.

This is really stupid. There is no way a plane heading to Phillips airport is going to be at 400' or close to it 6 - 10 miles away from the landing strip.

Your right. But, I Think the true intent of the rule wasn't so much that an airplane was going to be at "400' or close to it 6 - 10 miles away from the landing strip", it was that other VFR aircraft are not going to be in the way of the IFR aircraft that's on the instrument approach. Remember the visibility and cloud clearances change in class echo (E) airspace so that VFR aircraft are more restricted. IFR aircraft are usually on straight vectors to and from a navigational fix, whereas VFR aircraft could be tootling around anywhere.

Anyone from Maryland or just anyone ever fly in and around Havre De Grace.

Was hoping to get some nice footage and saw someone on youtube has some but looking at the sectional charts it appears that the whole area is a Class E airspace and if I am reading things correctly it's from the surface up.

Anyone know for sure if I am reading it right?

thanks
Tom
I think you are locked out as a 107 pilot. Oh the advantages of being a hobbyist.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

RJ_Make,

Are you saying that I would be okay to fly there if it was for recreational purposes?

I think you are locked out as a 107 pilot. Oh the advantages of being a hobbyist.

As a hobbyist, you only need to notify. If you are 107, you are bound by the 107 rules regardless of flight type.

If you are not intending on taking any pictures to sell or get ad money from YouTube then you can fly as a hobbyist.

Little confused. Are you saying that if I have passed the 107 test I am always bound by the 107 rules even if I decide to take out the bird just for recreational purposes?

As a hobbyist, you only need to notify. If you are 107, you are bound by the 107 rules regardless of flight type.

Yes, that is my understanding. Likewise you should not handle a commercially registered Drone as if it was registered as hobbyist. Record keeping stuff mostly.

If you are not intending on taking any pictures to sell or get ad money from YouTube then you can fly as a hobbyist.

I'm trying to find the case, but can't right now.. A 107 certified pilot breached class B airspace acting as a hobbits (using his commercially registered drone). The last I read, the FAA didn't except his defense and was still imposing penalties. Now it may have been because of the Drone registration, but for some reason I'm remembering it was not..

I also think it was brought up during one of the FAA UAS webinaries.

I treat every flight as if it were commercial, but if I was in doubt I would contact the FAA for clarification.

Not saying you are not correct. but to make sure I am not breaking any laws/regulations I just email the FAA to ask that specific question. Will post here when I hear back from them.

Yes, that is my understanding. Likewise you should not handle a commercially registered Drone as if it was registered as hobbyist. Record keeping stuff mostly.

Just read a few things on the FAA's site. According to what I read, it said: If you are flying as a 'hobbyist' you are okay to fly withing 5 miles of an airport (except class B) with prior notification to the airport and control tower. You are NOT allowed to fly into Class B unless you have prior written authorization from the FAA.

I'm trying to find the case, but can't right now.. A 107 certified pilot breached class B airspace acting as a hobbits (using his commercially registered drone). The last I read, the FAA didn't except his defense and was still imposing penalties. Now it may have been because of the Drone registration, but for some reason I'm remembering it was not..

I treat every flight as if it were commercial, but if I was in doubt I would contact the FAA for clarification.

Also just found this:
Airspace Restrictions

Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.

Just read a few things on the FAA's site. According to what I read, it said: If you are flying as a 'hobbyist' you are okay to fly withing 5 miles of an airport (except class B) with prior notification to the airport and control tower. You are NOT allowed to fly into Class B unless you have prior written authorization from the FAA.

To my knowledge there is no class B limitation for hobbyist other then notification. My understanding is that you don't even need to get permission (at your own risk). I'm I mistaken?

If that is the case, then Part 107 pilots are indeed held to the 107 rules?

One thing is very clear, this is yet another 'grey' area the FAA has produced... :)

Also just found this:
Airspace Restrictions

Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.

Ah now that has indeed changed. I don't ever remember seeing that ending section.

Thank you.

Something isn't right here, now hobbyist have to look up TFR's?? Things have REALLY changed..

That my be true. I am not aware of the case. That is what I do, "I treat every flight as if it were commercial."

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials