Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flotation device

I was thinking about what would be a good substitute for the bottles and closer to what the WaterStrider uses for floats. I wonder if those styrofoam balls you can get from a craft store placed at the end of those graphite rods will work.
bevfabriccrafts_2269_251035682_260.jpg

Reactions: KentA
Seems to me that most of these flotation systems would make for poor video production (mech. in the frame), no?

Probably
You should start 3D printing the landing gear bracket that the Droneraft waterstrider uses. :)
Then a fellow can outsource pretty much everything else.

dronerafts_waterstrider_concept2-planform-WS2.png

does the fomies get in the way of the camera????...i like the idea ..but wouldnt want to see it in my vids...

Did you start that project yet OBD?
Yes, today actually, but it was a fail. Used pool noodles and tried to get too fancy by using two cross pieces made from an old wooden ruler, unfortunately one of them was right under the module, and it was all confused. It was trying to get away from the ground, but the ground kept following it. Back to the drawing board with some small wooded dowels, coathangers, or something in a crisscross pattern..
20170821_183726.jpg

Last edited:
I tried making it with two 1/4 inch wooden dowels but they sagged to much. I did not want to buy two arrows for this project but it seems I just might have to. For the two sticks that run down the land gear bottom I used paint stir sticks. That worked out great. Have to push them more to the back as the last couple of inches you can see them in the video. 20170821_211004.jpg 20170821_211028.jpg

I tried making it with two 1/4 inch wooden dowels but they sagged to much. I did not want to buy two arrows for this project but it seems I just might have to. For the two sticks that run down the land gear bottom I used paint stir sticks. That worked out great. Have to push them more to the back as the last couple of inches you can see them in the video. View attachment 1000 View attachment 1001
Looks like you"re on the right track. Are you going to try the round foam balls for floats?

I bought the half balls and now I'm thinking the bottle idea is a better idea just for more cross support for one thing. I need to get more zip ties before I go any farther LOL

I bought the half balls and now I'm thinking the bottle idea is a better idea just for more cross support for one thing. I need to get more zip ties before I go any farther LOL

Ever lay in bed trying to go to sleep but these R&D ideas keep you up...... :)Me Too:)
Two 3ft dowels sharpened on all four ends with a pencil sharpener
Go to Hobby Lobby for four big styrofoam balls. 10 maybe 12 inches.......
Glue for your balls
Tie wraps
Swimming pool for testing
Just thinking out loud

Ever lay in bed trying to go to sleep but these R&D ideas keep you up...... :)Me Too:)
Two 3ft dowels sharpened on all four ends with a pencil sharpener
Go to Hobby Lobby for four big styrofoam balls. 10 maybe 12 inches.......
Glue for your balls
Tie wraps
Swimming pool for testing
Just thinking out loud

Ya that was kind of my first thought also. That's why I stopped by a craft shop and asked the pretty girl if she had any balls LOL
She ended up showing me these half balls and thought they might work but now I don't think so.

20170821_221052.jpg

Last edited:
I'm ready, one way or another. Tired of messin' around with this thing.:mad: Don't like that green, but that's all they had.

20170821_223644_001.jpg

The guy in the video used carbon fiber arrow shafts. What about wood, fiberglass, or aluminum? Which would be cheapest, yet strong enough?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58