Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FIRST LOOK: EVO Nano and EVO Lite

After announcement of launching Mavic 3 and 4/3 camera we still wait for Autel move...
Evo II is a good drone that can be a collosal player with exchangeable cameras, still we are continuously disappointed by R&D department from Autel related to the Autel Explorer app and countless bugs...
If you put both apps DJI Fly And Autel Explorer one against other, you cannot wonder how low the payment of engineers and IT&C dept from Autel is, in order to get such lame app...
Too bad... As competition does not sleep... And worst is that EVO 2 could kick *** DJi from far away with proper app design.
Damn it, Autel.

Hopefully autel will offer a prop guard cage similar to what DJI has for mavic mini, AND, they offer a half capacity, half the weight battery in the US (unlike DJI) so the combined weight is under 249g. IF Autel can pull the above off, it will be popular with those who want to OOP.

Reactions: Dfly and Rubik3x
The lack of a response suggests that most of the posters here are DJI fanboy trolls, not Autel owners or enthusiasts. I'm excited by it inasmuch as the numbers of smaller, less expensive drones will be greater, enhancing Autel's bottom line. Even though I'm not in the market for a small camera drone myself, I'd like to see Autel thriving, preferably so they plow back some profits that I might enjoy a more polished Autel Explorer and firmware experience with my AE2P v.1

Reactions: Andrew01 and G_G
Hopefully autel will offer a prop guard cage similar to what DJI has for mavic mini, AND, they offer a half capacity, half the weight battery in the US (unlike DJI) so the combined weight is under 249g. IF Autel can pull the above off, it will be popular with those who want to OOP.
If it had collisin avoidance you could ditch the prop guards, I wonder which would weigh more? Personally I do not feel the need for either except indoors, which I have never done. anyway.

If it had collisin avoidance you could ditch the prop guards, I wonder which would weigh more? Personally I do not feel the need for either except indoors, which I have never done. anyway.
New rules for flying over people in the US require both the prop guards and weight under 250 grams. Drones over 250G require special approval that is not currently available from the FAA. That is what is being referred to by @gschulzuio

Reactions: Dfly and gschulzuio
If indoors you can do what you want, FAA rules only apply outdoors. However, collision avoidance does not do anything to enable or support operations over people (OOP), at least as how congress has written the current regulations being managed by the FAA. In the current regulations, something is needed to protect from exposed rotating parts (e.g. props) such as a prop cage or prop guard. The DJI Mavic Mini is a good example of this with its prop cage IF it is flown with the Japan batteries that bring its combined weight in under 250g. With the US or regular batteries, the Mavic Mini with prop cage is above the allowed weight. The work around is something like a cinewoop or similar with a go pro for now. Thus, if Autel Nano had a lighter, smaller battery that even cut flight duration in half and under the 250g, would seriously consider buying one.

Reactions: Dfly
not trying to be argumentative and personally im not an expert when it comes to faa rules but I understand novice pilots may look to this forum for guidance. so I could be wrong but there is no faa restriction on recreational pilots pertaining to flying over people. whether you have a mini or a nano or an evo 2, nowhere in 44809 does it say "no flying over people." perhaps a cbo may contain a rule but are there any approved cbo's today?

so let's talk about part 107 where the minis and the nanos of the world fall into category 1. seems there are more applicable rules than just having a blade guard on the drone and that's only needed if you plan to sustain flight over people in an open air forum. will any blade guard work or does it have to be approved by or comply with faa guidelines? and what about remote id? none of these drones have remote id so how do they qualify for the most restrictive application of flying over people?

it's really complex but bottom line is anybody can traverse over one person or a thousand people with any drone, anywhere....and all the way up to if you are part 107, you need to be concerned with sustaining flying over lots of people in an open air forum like a stadium or spectators lining the soccer fields or the state fair, etc.

clearly it's going to take more time and effort to get our arms around the rules (as they evolve and change) but as a recreational pilot, I don't weigh my drones and I don't worry about prop guards and what batteries are available. and I hope I don't have to in the future because there are too many confusing regulations and honestly, the faa shouldn't be so involved in the life of those flying drones as a hobby for fun.

please correct me if I am wrong. :)

not trying to be argumentative and personally im not an expert when it comes to faa rules but I understand novice pilots may look to this forum for guidance. so I could be wrong but there is no faa restriction on recreational pilots pertaining to flying over people. whether you have a mini or a nano or an evo 2, nowhere in 44809 does it say "no flying over people." perhaps a cbo may contain a rule but are there any approved cbo's today?
You might want to become familiar the new FAA TRUST (e.g. The Recreational UAS Safety Test) as well as take it, its free, online and you know what you are doing should only take 15-20 minutes (or less). As for CBOs, yes, a good example is AMA, in fact, here's the link to their site where you can take the TRUST test for free.

AMA FAA TRUS TEST (Online, its free)

TRUST is for anybody 13yrs or older and good for life, unless you lose your registration card.

As for OOP, 44809 is a carve out, you are either flying under a CBO, or, FAA rules. So if you say or claim to be flying under a given CBO, at least know what thats CBO rules are, particular if ever asked by a LEO or other official. Note that with the new rules, recreational can be asked to show their TRUST cert card by officials, as well as aircraft registration. However, unlike the part 107, TRUST cert does not store any PID info if that is a concern.

so let's talk about part 107 where the minis and the nanos of the world fall into category 1. seems there are more applicable rules than just having a blade guard on the drone and that's only needed if you plan to sustain flight over people in an open air forum. will any blade guard work or does it have to be approved by or comply with faa guidelines? and what about remote id? none of these drones have remote id so how do they qualify for the most restrictive application of flying over people?
Actually a DJI Mavic Mini with prop guard/cage and regular battery would weigh more than 250g, I know because I have one. The rule is weight based, and protecting against lacerations from a rotating part. Also, as for OOP, you might want to review the section on hovering as the language is about transiting and moving around. As for RID, that's still about 2yrs out, however watch for news about vendors and solutions starting to come out in the not so distant future, and would not be surprised if we see add on kits for existing drones, either from the manufacturer or 3rd parties. As for Autel and a prop guard/cage for a nano, we will have to see what they do. As for the EVO II, I have the prop guards, use them for indoor projects, they work great. However the EVO II is in a different category and we need to wait and watch for the Declarations of Compliance (DoCs) and related updates. Good news however is that there is now an FAA website where DoC and related items for OOP will be updated.
it's really complex but bottom line is anybody can traverse over one person or a thousand people with any drone, anywhere....and all the way up to if you are part 107, you need to be concerned with sustaining flying over lots of people in an open air forum like a stadium or spectators lining the soccer fields or the state fair, etc.
Sounds like yan interesting CBOs set of rules, or, assumptions ;)

I don't weigh my drones and I don't worry about prop guards and what batteries are available.
If you know your drone plus any attached items (add on lights, batteries, prop guard/cage, decals, etc) is under the magic 250g number no need to weigh it. However, you might want to know the combined weight to know what it is, just to be safe.
and I hope I don't have to in the future because there are too many confusing regulations and honestly, the faa shouldn't be so involved in the life of those flying drones as a hobby for fun.

please correct me if I am wrong. :)
Actually it was not the FAA who wrote the legislation, that would be your congress people who wrote it (granted with input from various parties) and then the FAA implements and manages it.

Its all about common sense and safety, thats the gist of TRUST test/education, as well as part 107. Safe flying and have fun.

You might want to become familiar the new FAA TRUST (e.g. The Recreational UAS Safety Test) as well as take it, its free, online and you know what you are doing should only take 15-20 minutes (or less). As for CBOs, yes, a good example is AMA, in fact, here's the link to their site where you can take the TRUST test for free.

AMA FAA TRUS TEST (Online, its free)

TRUST is for anybody 13yrs or older and good for life, unless you lose your registration card.

As for OOP, 44809 is a carve out, you are either flying under a CBO, or, FAA rules. So if you say or claim to be flying under a given CBO, at least know what thats CBO rules are, particular if ever asked by a LEO or other official. Note that with the new rules, recreational can be asked to show their TRUST cert card by officials, as well as aircraft registration. However, unlike the part 107, TRUST cert does not store any PID info if that is a concern.

Actually a DJI Mavic Mini with prop guard/cage and regular battery would weigh more than 250g, I know because I have one. The rule is weight based, and protecting against lacerations from a rotating part. Also, as for OOP, you might want to review the section on hovering as the language is about transiting and moving around. As for RID, that's still about 2yrs out, however watch for news about vendors and solutions starting to come out in the not so distant future, and would not be surprised if we see add on kits for existing drones, either from the manufacturer or 3rd parties. As for Autel and a prop guard/cage for a nano, we will have to see what they do. As for the EVO II, I have the prop guards, use them for indoor projects, they work great. However the EVO II is in a different category and we need to wait and watch for the Declarations of Compliance (DoCs) and related updates. Good news however is that there is now an FAA website where DoC and related items for OOP will be updated.

Sounds like yan interesting CBOs set of rules, or, assumptions ;)

If you know your drone plus any attached items (add on lights, batteries, prop guard/cage, decals, etc) is under the magic 250g number no need to weigh it. However, you might want to know the combined weight to know what it is, just to be safe.

Actually it was not the FAA who wrote the legislation, that would be your congress people who wrote it (granted with input from various parties) and then the FAA implements and manages it.

Its all about common sense and safety, thats the gist of TRUST test/education, as well as part 107. Safe flying and have fun.
oh, you mean the trust that i and million other people clicked thru and printed out on day one it was available? is that the trust that answers all the hard questions? LOL

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller