Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

First Flight

WildDoktor

Reaction score
(Please forgive the double post; I posted this up on RCGroups last night. :))

Well, I got my XSP yesterday!! Picked it up at lunch, went home and unboxed it and checked it out for a few minutes, then headed back to work. After work I got home, unboxed it again, started charging 2 of the 4 batteries, then decided to just go ahead and do a quick "first flight" with one of the remaining batteries (40% charged). Decided I would do everything "wrong" just to see how the craft (and I) handled it, and to just get it over with! So I:
  • Calibrated the compass in my living room - had to do it twice, but it worked the 2nd time
  • Did my first test flight with 40% battery remaining
  • It was getting dark outside, and was slightly drizzling
  • Spun up the motors with the button, then took off manually to about 4ft - no issues
  • Flew it for 8 minutes around my backyard - turns out my backyard is *way* smaller when flying this thing than when flying my Inducrtix FPV!! :)
  • Tried out the yaw - found i could get a nice, slow, steady yaw rate...very surprising after all the hubub about the yaw rate! Am going to have to try that again and see if it really was smooth, or if I just couldn't tell
  • Punched out a few times, but only to about 50' - wow...power!!
  • Camera settings were completely ignored...and it shows in the video. :) So bad that I won't even post it, but will keep it as my "first flight" to compare with in the future.
  • Got the low battery warning - brought it home manually, landed manually, killed the motors manually. No issues; didn't even bounce!
  • No wind to speak of, but it was drizzling; the craft, my phone, and the controller were about 50% covered with small drops of rain by the time we headed inside - again, no issues at all.
This is the first "real" drone I've ever flown, so I have nothing to compare it to except my cheap Gearbest MJX hexacopters (junk) and my Inductrix FPV (awesome, but tiny and way under powered). I'm in awe of how powerful and SMOOTH this thing is!! Like a huge ol' Cadillac, with a really nice camera for a hood ornament! But there was definately some "information overload", and nervousness...it literally took an hour for the butterflies to finally leave my stomach.

Man; I'm going to have so much fun with this thing!!

Reactions: PRMath and Bigbit
Yeah...I know Agustine. I know. :D

However, I feel I've now redeemed myself a little bit: I went out to an open field at lunchtime today, and did everything "right" this time around. :) Sunny sky, little wind, lots of space, had a visual observer, let the airport manager know I was going to fly.

I flew 4 battery packs down to maybe 40% each; total of a little over 53 minutes according to AZ Screen Recorder. I feel I now have a much firmer grasp on some key concepts!

I realize I still "don't know what I don't know", but the stuff I *do* know now makes me happy. And the butterflies went away after about 20 minutes this time. :D

Tonight I'll look over both the phone footage and the drone footage, and if I see anything worth sharing I'll put it up on YT.

Woo Hoo!!

Well, I got my XSP yesterday!! Picked it up at lunch, went home and unboxed it and checked it out for a few minutes, then headed back to work. After work I got home, unboxed it again, started charging 2 of the 4 batteries, then decided to just go ahead and do a quick "first flight" with one of the remaining batteries (40% charged). Decided I would do everything "wrong" just to see how the craft (and I) handled it, and to just get it over with! So I:
  • Calibrated the compass in my living room - had to do it twice, but it worked the 2nd time
  • Spun up the motors with the button, then took off manually to about 4ft - no issues
  • Flew it for 8 minutes around my backyard - turns out my backyard is *way* smaller when flying this thing than when flying my Inducrtix FPV!! :)
  • Tried out the yaw - found i could get a nice, slow, steady yaw rate...very surprising after all the hubub about the yaw rate! Am going to have to try that again and see if it really was smooth, or if I just couldn't tell
  • Camera settings were completely ignored...and it shows in the video. :) So bad that I won't even post it, but will keep it as my "first flight" to compare with in the future.
  • Got the low battery warning - brought it home manually, landed manually, killed the motors manually. No issues; didn't even bounce!
  • No wind to speak of, but it was drizzling; the craft, my phone, and the controller were about 50% covered with small drops of rain by the time we headed inside - again, no issues at all.
This is the first "real" drone I've ever flown, so I have nothing to compare it to except my cheap Gearbest MJX hexacopters (junk) and my Inductrix FPV (awesome, but tiny and way under powered). I'm in awe of how powerful and SMOOTH this thing is!! Like a huge ol' Cadillac, with a really nice camera for a hood ornament! But there was definately some "information overload", and nervousness...it literally took an hour for the butterflies to finally leave my stomach.

Yes, you will. Always remember....... Altitude is your friend and over confidence is your enemy

Reactions: PRMath
Calibration does alot better outside. I've never calibrated mine inside. Reason being I don't plan on landing it inside the house. Lol. Enjoy. I know I couldn't part with mine.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy