Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Fasten your seat belts all you recreation flyers, Things are changing

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
I had to download the photo to read it blown up, my old eyes could not read the small print.
I'm sure this is only the start of many changes coming. No more just phoning the tower for clearence for Rec. fliers.

Attachments

• FAA.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: Trox and Ansia
Where I live we have only Class D Airspace which has nothing to do with Controlled Airspace so it is irrelevant to me. Just saying

Where I live we have only Class D Airspace which has nothing to do with Controlled Airspace so it is irrelevant to me. Just saying
Class D is controlled airspace. Only Class G is uncontrolled airspace.

Last edited:
Reactions: mamanes
Kind of scary that they are going to call recreational flyers " Limited Recreational Flyers" ? What are they planning down the road?

My flights are in class G below 400-ft. I am always more than 5 miles from any airport.

Very Sorry my bad, no excuse I passed my license recently :oops:

Reactions: Ansia
More complete documentation from what Agustine has been posting.

Attachments

• FAA.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
They are simply implementing the law written by Congress and signed into law last October. Section 349 of P.L. 115-254

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th...r=1&s=1#toc-H18D986236849404B96CEF256C94335C6

LAANC for Limited Recreational will not go into effect until this summer according to what they have written.

And the differences between 107 and LR sUAS are getting fewer and fewer.
Both will/do require testing
Both have similar altitude restrictions with the exception that 107 has the added 400 feet above/around towers, etc.
Both will use LAANC
LR sUAS look to be prohibited within 2 miles of a controlled airspace airport

They are simply implementing the law written by Congress and signed into law last October. Section 349 of P.L. 115-254

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th...r=1&s=1#toc-H18D986236849404B96CEF256C94335C6

LAANC for Limited Recreational will not go into effect until this summer according to what they have written.

And the differences between 107 and LR sUAS are getting fewer and fewer.
Both will/do require testing
Both have similar altitude restrictions with the exception that 107 has the added 400 feet above/around towers, etc.
Both will use LAANC
LR sUAS look to be prohibited within 2 miles of a controlled airspace airport
I visited that Arcgis website. I wasn't able to make heads or tails of it. Where can I find a map of my local area, to see where I can and can't fly?

Any safety regulations that apply to PT107 Commercial, will eventually all apply to the LR category. Other differences will most likely remain separate... for now. This wasn't created as a blind restriction out of thin air, this is a result of careless sUAV behavior and overhyped media exaggerating the few instances instilling concern & fear driving regulations to correct the advertised growing sUAV problem.

The current airport controlled airspace regulation is a safety focused issue and should apply to any sUAV if it's within human occupied aircraft. I agree if it's a remote low traffic airport but is a controlled airspace airport seems a little overextended to have the same strong restrictions as a more functional airport. But they need to start somewhere to limit the careless sUAV behavior around Airports, and that includes all airports.

The problem as I see it is hast to enact creating the "out of sync" requirements to ability to obtain clearance. Currently the LAANC lacks an option for LR category, and removing the ability to call the Airport creates an out of sync situation; so the ability to fly near airports for LR is temporarily limited or prohibited. It's indicated LAANC will include LR category in near future, and at that time the ability to obtain clearance will proceed.

I'll need to reread again, but I'm a little unclear on all the non-LAANC airports that also are controlled airspace which is normally smaller airports located in smaller cities, towns or extended burbs. If LAANC is not active at the smaller airport with controlled airspace, is there an alternative method to LAANC for LR category?

Beyond the controlled airspace restriction, the new LR hasn't applied additional limitations that didn't previously exist. They did add the ability non-FAA Officials; LEO or other Enforcement agencies may obtain the ability to enforce the restriction and the new one... to have authority to request to see & verify FAA registration documentation and when the small LR pre-test is required, to verify the LR or PT107 has obtained the proper certification.

Currently there remains a few major benefits for LR over PT107.... the main one in my opinion is night flying. The PT107 is required equip aircraft with proper regulation spec lights and to obtain a night waiver. The LR needs to equip aircraft with proper regulation spec lights without waiver. For those that want to capture July 4th Fireworks, this allows flight for the LR... or the PT107 with a waiver or to pre-declare flight mission as a LR flight. Recall a PT107 can fly as a PT107 or LR with proper declaration proof it's not commercial. NOTE: if you post the fireworks on Youtube, that most likely will be viewed as a PT107 flight for both.

Regarding the new label: Limited Recreational Pilot (LR). I see this as attempt to align the category for additional requirements. An additional "soon to arrive" requirement for LR & PT107 will probably be "log files & telemetry logs". Once that is enacted, the use of log files will determine duration, location and frequency of flights. My opinion is either creation of a new middle category between the pure casual hobbyist (LR), serious amateur (SR) and commercial (PT107) or simply a mandate to be a commercial if flight time per month exceeds category of hobbyist. If an LR's logs show X-Hours over limit, then LR needs to become a SR or PT107 in order to use craft at rated hours (example only). The use of logs will probably become used in many matters: proof of flight if complaints filed, proof of telemetry if accident related, etc. Many Owners have shown a video or shared flight telemetry to calm a LEO / Neighborhood situation, but I think the LEO will soon have the authority to demand logs and telemetry files as part of their complaint record.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials